Some questions for Mastering engineers !

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi ! I have some questions for you, the mastering engineers !

I am a music producer and I have hearing loss in the high end, basically my hearing is attenuated in this area and the risk is that I could boost too much the high frequencies to compensate.

I am aware of that, and I am not over boosting my sounds (I will never make a huge boost of 15db on a sound for example), but I don't know how good is my high end area of my mixes.

For this reason, I decided to work with a mastering engineer.

My questions are simple :

1. Can a mastering engineer can act like a safety net and correct my high end (10khz-20khz) to perfection ?

Let's take an example, let's imagine the worst scenario :

I made a mix and in this mix I over boosted some sounds. I am into trance, so here we will say that the cymbal is harsh and the synth lead have too much high frequencies too.

Could a ME correct it easily and bring a good sounding result ?

2. Should I go for stems mastering ? Because, if the ME correct with a single file based mix, the correction he would apply would also affect the other elements of the mix, and it would not be ideal.

So, if I go for stem mastering, could it make the ME able to make precise and even significant changes without affecting the entire mix ?

I hope you can help me !

If the error is systematic (ALL your highs are too much/little by a similar amount) then this can easily be fixed with EQ. If the content of those highs is unbalanced (e.g. cymbal highs are lost behind synth noise) then that is difficult to correct.

imrae wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:04 pm If the error is systematic (ALL your highs are too much/little by a similar amount) then this can easily be fixed with EQ. If the content of those highs is unbalanced (e.g. cymbal highs are lost behind synth noise) then that is difficult to correct.
Even with stems mastering ? :(

I would call "stem mastering" mixing, which isn't the same as mastering. If you get someone to mix your track, then they wont make the same EQ mistakes that you may have made. Best thing is to talk to any potential ME about what would be appropriate.

You can probably have a "good-sounding" result even with some imbalance in the highs. If you can't hear them clearly, you probably aren't relying on them too much to give separation between the parts anyway...

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:21 pm I would call "stem mastering" mixing, which isn't the same as mastering. If you get someone to mix your track, then they wont make the same EQ mistakes that you may have made. Best thing is to talk to any potential ME about what would be appropriate.

What do you mean by stem mastering mixing ?

It is mastering or stem mastering, I don't understand your approach.

And I am mixing myself, I just want to work with a ME to handle any problem that I could have on the high end.

If I send a stem for the bassdrum
another for the synths lead

another for the cymbals

another for the voices

etc. etc.

The ME should be ABLE to correct any problems in the highs easily ? No ?

ClassicTrance wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:25 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:21 pm I would call "stem mastering" mixing, which isn't the same as mastering. If you get someone to mix your track, then they wont make the same EQ mistakes that you may have made. Best thing is to talk to any potential ME about what would be appropriate.

And I am mixing myself, I just want to work with a ME to handle any problem that I could have on the high end.
I mean that if you send stems, you are asking the ME to mix them for you. Unless you only want them to re-eq each track?

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:49 pm
ClassicTrance wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:25 pm

I mean that if you send stems, you are asking the ME to mix them for you. Unless you only want them to re-eq each track?

Some mastering engineer, for an aditionnal cost (sometimes it cost near to twice the price of a normal mastering) offer stems mastering (not mixing).

It means that once you mix yourself your music, but you send to him your mix as stems files.

And then it gives more liberty to the ME to master the music. They will never mix the music, but they will correct or enhance any elements that need it.

My question was to know if with stem mastering the engineer can correct accurately any problems in the high frequencies.

For example, if the cymbal only have too much high, it would be difficult to correct it within a single file mix, because it would affect any other elements (like vocals).

But if the engineer have the stem of the cymbal, he should correct it to perfection with EQ.

Or maybe I am wrong...

Learn mixing, or don't. You are ready to give it all to someone else, so fine. Both are mixing questions, though, and basic, just EQ.

you need a mixing engineer, not master.

AnX wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:40 pm you need a mixing engineer, not master.
I am speaking about stem mastering.

No one have understand me. Maybe it is my poor english.

I am not saying that : "I will let the Mastering engineer correct any problem, so let's fun !" and make a shitty mix in 30 minutes.

I have hearing loss, so I use reference tracks, etc. Mixing is my passion.

BUT ! As long as I have hearing loss in the high frequencies, there is still some insecurities (for me, at least).

I am into trance music, and my lead sounds go up to 20khz. Same for my hi hats. I am doing classic trance music, full of supersaw from JP8000.

If you ever heard that kind of music, you know that the air is important. It is not VERY important, but it is.

So, while I can use reference and spectrum analyser, I can see if there is any unusual spike in the high end, and I can, I think, make my mix sounds "ok".

STILL ! There is a lot of insecurities. If I don't hear some of the very high frequencies, what can make me sure that the result is professionnal ?

This is one of the reason I want to work with an ME.

Because, the Mastering Engineer could detect any problems, and I think that with stems mastering, he could correct it.
It is like a safety net.
Am I right, or wrong ?

Now, why do some people say "you need a mixing engineer" ? Why should I go with a mixing engineer, if a mastering engineer can do the work with stems mastering ?

ClassicTrance wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:47 pm
AnX wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:40 pm you need a mixing engineer, not master.
I am speaking about stem mastering.
doesnt matter

Ok, if you literally can't hear it, you probably need some advisement. I'm saying, and others are telling you this is a MIXING question. Mastering doesn't enter into it unless you simply find that more amenable in terms of finding an individual to do the job. Or the mastering person has better gear. :shrug:

But all you've presented is EQing, so...

if this is music to be printed and mass-produced like you believe there is a demand for it, sure, hire an ME to make sure the lows and the highs are all just perfect.
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”