Laptop for production - does this one sound useable?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"ASUS VivoBook S14 S410UA-EB450T Ultrabook 14" 1080p FullHD screen in a 13.3" Chassis Intel i7-8550U 8GB 512GB M.2 SSD NO-DVD Win10Home 64bit 1yr warranty - GOLD-HAIRLINE METAL Colour, only 1.45kg, long life battery"

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NBKASU ... k-14-1080p

It seems there's an online sale following on from Black Friday (whatever that is) with some decent deals, and I'm going to get back into making some music - been out of it for 5 or 6 years. My old music PC died while in storage, but although would have been useable it was from 2003 or thereabouts running an old Cubase SX2 version, so...considerably out of date. Anyways - will get back into it with a laptop - have a room downstairs that'll do for the studio and will probably use the laptop for streaming TV upstairs too - which is why I want laptop rather than desktop (which would be my preferred option) - at least I can pack it and move it upstairs easily.
I definitely want SSD, and budget is around NZ$1500 - doesn't seem to be much more than 512GB SSDs available in that price range - is that going to be enough? Bearing in mind, I'll still be recording a load of old h/w, definitely not just s/w only, so I won't be working it overly hard - might even dust off some of the old FX boxes as well, but in the main my VST strain would be for FX. I reckoned 8GB RAM should be able to take that strain well enough. I don't know much about CPUs, so is that i7 a reasonable workhorse for music? I tend to record down to audio and mess about mostly with audio rather than running too many VSTs etc.
The screen is probably on the small size, but almost certainly I'll put it out to a larger monitor - it has the usual HDMI output and 2xUSB2 and 2xUSB3, so I figure it's got enough connectivity for soundcard etc.
I don't want to go much over that budget as I'll have to get a new soundcard and DAW (had a sweet old Aardvark soundcard but no new drivers for Win10 sadly). Knowing almost nothing about laptops, this one looked like it is a reasonable compromise on most aspects needed for music (considering most laptops seem to be for gamers or business orientated).

Cheers for any input. (I rather missed good old KvR - a bit like a comfy old blanket that I thought mum had thrown away, only to find it in the attic in my declining years... :scared: )

OK, found this one:

HP Pavilion 15-cs0012TX Laptop 15.6" FullHD Intel i7-8550U 16GB 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD NO-DVD MX150 4GB Graphics Win10Home 64bit 1yr warranty

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NBKHNB ... D-Intel-i7

It has one less USB port, but gives me 16GB RAM instead of 8, and a bigger screen. Used to have an HP desktop, and vaguely remember they weren't exactly superb quality or build, but dunno if HP are a reliable brand for laptops?

I'd say either one is a good pick, but it ultimately depends on the complexity of your projects. If you're running a lot of VSTi's at once, for instance, you want the HP, since it has more RAM. If, on the other hand, you're recording live instruments and not using something like 10 VSTs per track, the Asus is enough.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

Cheers. I don't see myself using large numbers of VSTis but I suppose the double RAM at least gives me the option.

After a bit of research, the Hp one looks favourite so far. It appears to be a NVMe SSD which apparently is the latest and fastest SSD. The Asus ones seem to be SATA SSDs. TBH prior to today that would have been utter gobbledygook to me. But I guess I may as well go for the latest quickest that budget will allow - I save $300 if I get an ASUS laptop with similar CPU and RAM, but already out of date SSD, and considering I'm used to working on desktops that take 3days to load up, and especially as fast access is a mantra for music, makes sense to get a NVMe drive. Is that right?

kritikon wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:19 am After a bit of research, the Hp one looks favourite so far. It appears to be a NVMe SSD which apparently is the latest and fastest SSD. The Asus ones seem to be SATA SSDs. TBH prior to today that would have been utter gobbledygook to me. But I guess I may as well go for the latest quickest that budget will allow - I save $300 if I get an ASUS laptop with similar CPU and RAM, but already out of date SSD, and considering I'm used to working on desktops that take 3days to load up, and especially as fast access is a mantra for music, makes sense to get a NVMe drive. Is that right?
As long as it doesn't have a mechanical drive (laptop versions take about a week, not 3 days to load up), it's OK. :wink:
~stratum~

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”