Need help with understanding transients!!

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys, i'm having trouble deciding what characteristics my transients should have..... such as the length of them and how much louder the transient should be compared to the rest of the signal..
i'm referring to my kick and snare, but maybe hihats as well.. I see a lot of people use compressors such as the glue compressor in order to create transients in their sounds to make them more "clicky" i guess.. Does anyone have any advice on where i should set the attack and release on a compressor to add transient? and also i'd like to know how much gain reduction should occur on the meter.. so i know how much louder the transient is than the rest of the signal.. If it varies depending on the type of kick or snare or hihat, can you explain how and why it varies???

how much louder the transient should be compared to the rest of the signal
Transient does not need to be louder than the rest of a signal - the sooner you understand it, the better. It just needs to be fast and contain different frequency content. You can easily add transient to any sound by overlaying noisy click or adding very fast pitch modulation.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Transients are always short by definition and usually contain high frequency information separate to the 'tone'.

If you have Kotelnikov, Ozone Spectral Shaper or other processors with a 'Delta' audition mode you can sometimes carefully solo just the transients.

Return to “Production Techniques”