Toneboosters Morphit - NEW headphones improvement, simulation and customization plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys, it was a serious question 8)

fluffy_little_something wrote:So, how do those plugins work? What's the logic?
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic, ... 6khhesnu91

Also this:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=495120&p=6935567#p6935567
Last edited by cturner on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

fluffy_little_something wrote:So, how do those plugins work? What's the logic?
First I put it on the master track and mix everything so that it sounds great on the headphones. Then I turn the plugin off and export to wav or whatever?
just put it in the monitoring FX and forget the rest

just dont forget to put a loudness meter in the master (not the monitoring)
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

207 headphone profiles now... not bad :D

Still no Samson SR850... Guess what? I'm happy with Sonarworks. :D
Winner of 15th HOFA Xmas Mix Contest - 2024
2nd place winner of Boz Digital Labs Intl. Mix Contest - 2016

Interesting plugin for mixing with headphones it seems.

One question though: On the product website of Morphit it's stated that the target sound is a neutral studio sound. So it balances the individual headphone frequency response in a way that the frequency response becomes neutral and you get a more objective representation of the audio material, right?

But then it's also mentioned that Morphit also includes the Harman headphone target curves, which don't seem to be based on a neutral, flat frequency response.

Does that mean that we can choose between a neutral and objective "studio-grade" representation and other, less neutral output variants for reference purposes?

Is there a demo available by the way?

I use Sonarworks but they don't have a profile for my Stax SR407's. They also said they never will due to issues with profiling an electro-stat. But Morphit does (for the 207 which is close enough), so I bought it. The Sonarworks and Morphit AKG 240 mk2 profiles are very similar but not exact, FYI. :phones:

Bose AE2 missing in Morphit

Wondering about the Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro in Morphit. Those cans have two sets of ear pieces, one which is supposed to be more "hifi" and one that is supposed to be more neutral (I only use that one). Which ones were used for the one Morphit Profile? The correction curve seems rather drastic.

Cheeseburger headphones missing in Morphit
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

fese wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:46 pm Wondering about the Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro in Morphit. Those cans have two sets of ear pieces, one which is supposed to be more "hifi" and one that is supposed to be more neutral (I only use that one). Which ones were used for the one Morphit Profile? The correction curve seems rather drastic.
the note says balanced, so I'm assuming that's referring to the ear pad type

I am using MORPHIT with Beyerdynamic DT880s.
I bought these headphones after reading various reviews that described them as having a near flat response, ideal for mixing and mastering.
I haven't had them long but I have mixed and mastered a song with them (without MORPHIT) and found the result translates quite well on monitors.
I listened to the same song with MORPHIT set to the DT880 profile and the difference is huge!
There is a lot more EQ to neutralise the sound than I would have expected considering the DT880s reputation for accuracy and I wonder how accurate the DT880s actually are without it.
With MORPHIT, the midrange is largely unchanged while there is a lot more bass and a lot less treble.
The sound is much more pleasing to my ears and my song sounds richer in the lows and much less harsh at the top end.
I'm tempted to use MORPHIT for all my mixing and mastering now, but am I fooling myself?
How do I know that this sound is more accurate than without MORPHIT and not just a flattering effect caused by increased bass and treble cut?
Would a similar effect be produced by using headphones with a greater bass response and less top end in the first place?

I avoided buying headphones with extended bass because I didn't want to have bass light mixes and I wanted the most accurate sound possible on a limited budget.
I understand that the important thing about mixing and mastering is to use the same headphones and monitors all the time and to get used to their sound, regardless of how flat their frequency response.
Given that theory, I will always choose to use MORPHIT because my music sounds so much better to me with it.

I might be overthinking this..

Here's what Sonarworks shows as the frequency response for the DT880's...

https://www.sonarworks.com/soundid-refe ... iew/#build

Is Morphit's profile on par with that? That's honestly about what I'd expect for $225 open-back headphones. Not a huge bass bump, but not with a totally flat frequency response.

Try a few mixes with Morphit on. Try a few mixes with it off. See how they translate to different environments. I suspect it'll help, but only way to know is by doing. Or just picking one and not worrying too much about it. Even if your mixes don't translate well, if you use those same headphones to listen to music (including reference mixes) you'll eventually start compensating on your own. ;)

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:08 pm Here's what Sonarworks shows as the frequency response for the DT880's...

https://www.sonarworks.com/soundid-refe ... iew/#build (https://www.sonarworks.com/soundid-reference/blog/reviews/beyerdynamic-dt-880-pro-studio-headphone-review/#build)

Is Morphit's profile on par with that? That's honestly about what I'd expect for $225 open-back headphones. Not a huge bass bump, but not with a totally flat frequency response.

Try a few mixes with Morphit on. Try a few mixes with it off. See how they translate to different environments. I suspect it'll help, but only way to know is by doing. Or just picking one and not worrying too much about it. Even if your mixes don't translate well, if you use those same headphones to listen to music (including reference mixes) you'll eventually start compensating on your own. ;)
Thanks for the information.

I would say the profile in Morphit is broadly similar to the Sonarworks one, if a little smoother with a more even midrange and less extreme roll off at the very top and bottom ends although I'm not sure I'm reading it right.
This image shows the measured response in white and the correction in blue - the grey shading shows the difference between them, (as far as I can make out).

I'm surprised by the difference in sound compared to not using this plugin, the more I listen - the more I like the Morphit effect.
It has transformed the listening experience to something much more pleasing to my ears.
I will take your advice and keep using it, if only because it's a more pleasant experience and hopefully my mixes will benefit.

If Morphit could be used systemwide, that would make it perfect. I already love using it! It's only a bit tedious to load music into my DAW, just to listen to it through Morphit. Other than that, fantastic, truly FANTASTIC plugin! Big fan here.

EDIT: Just discovered SOUND SOURCE by ROGUE AMOEBA. Let's you put any AU plugin systemwide, even app specific if you so desire. Am using MORPHIT and Waves NX systemwide with my Superlux HD681s now. That way I can learn the sound of my cans not only through my DAW, but with Spotify, YouTube, you name it.. it's nothing short of a dream come true!
Last edited by LukeStone on Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”