Update to Cubase 10...or change altogether?!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:54 pm The other benefits of upgrading: 1) no new learning curve, 2) it's less costly.
1) is IMHO the biggest arguments against switching. Some time ago I tested several DAW because I was seriously annoyed with Cubase, but I soon realized that a) each and every one of them was missing features I was using in Cubase (e.g. Logical Editor!) and all have their own deficiencies I was annoyed by, and b) it would take me months to get to the point where I am with Cubase. Very time consuming when all you do is want to make music...

there was also another thing that kept me from switching: What about all my old projects? Keep Cubase in case I want to revisit them or try to migrate them to the next DAW which is usualy nigh to impossible to do in a time efficient way...

The first question I would be asking is what is it that I cannot do that I simply have to be able to with my current set up? Then I would be considering if there was any real need to throw down more cash on either...update OR DAW switch. I am on Cubase 9 and for AU$208 to upgrade, I am really not seeing anything that I NEED to have in the upgrade to 10.

Thanks guys for the additional input. I particularly agree with "maintaining one's workflow", cause that's a real time-saver.
Anyhow, I did take the plunge and upgrade, and I am glad I did.
-- I do dig the interface improvements, things seem in general clearer and more easily accessible.
-- Mixer history are actually amazing - I somehow didn't think I would care so much but they proved superuseful already.
-- I can't figure this out, but I have actually a much better CPU performance. It may be some detrimental setting that wasn't carried over in the upgrade? Either way, great this way.
What I have mixed feelings about is the mixer on the bottom of the project window. being able to have only sliders or inserts at a time, I find myself just going for the full mixer.

performance really great here, but I have a brand new very robust computer, so y'all's mileage may vary.
all the track outputs get visible audio as well
That's a rendered track essentially.

- not the Cubase "hidden agenda" where you just hear result(audio is in Pool only).
You have no guide visually when doing automation other than the original midi
Cubase freeze means you're done editing until you unfreeze. I take this as the essential meaning for freeze and the other thing as a render.

Btw, that's not what a hidden agenda is (acknowledging that your English is infinitely superior to my command of your language), that's just a hidden bit of audio; freeze means operations are suspended (the connection and in the case of samples, they're unloaded) in order to save resources. A "hidden agenda" is suspicious, for instance you appear to have benevolent intent but an ulterior motive lies beneath the surface appearance.

Before this computer, I mean my last computer being old and lame, I had a large portion of things which had to be rendered and I sought to commit to it (not deleting MIDI or any of the part with MIDI, as I may need to reassess) and work with audio. Being that almost all of it was offline exporting, it doesn't take much more time than freezing.

So I agree that the freeze is an imperfect way of dealing, I haven't used it in years. I don't use external anything outside of audio input using VE Pro as basically an FX rack, this means realtime export.

Laimon wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:18 pm What I have mixed feelings about is the mixer on the bottom of the project window. being able to have only sliders or inserts at a time, I find myself just going for the full mixer.
Lower Zone; I have no use for it at all, and almost none for the Right Zone. Left Zone, Inspector, is normal although I may want to hide it, via the simple Option/Command L. I'm not one of the people requesting docking to say the least. I can call up any window with a hotkey, or w. a few involved cases a macro.

I prefer the old mixer. But I use Cubendo as a mixer only nominally, VE Pro is where the mixing happens here.

jancivil wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:29 pm
Laimon wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:18 pm What I have mixed feelings about is the mixer on the bottom of the project window. being able to have only sliders or inserts at a time, I find myself just going for the full mixer.
Lower Zone; I have no use for it at all, and almost none for the Right Zone. Left Zone, Inspector, is normal although I may want to hide it, via the simple Option/Command L. I'm not one of the people requesting docking to say the least. I can call up any window with a hotkey, or w. a few involved cases a macro.

I prefer the old mixer. But I use Cubendo as a mixer only nominally, VE Pro is where the mixing happens here.
Agreed - ultimately, it can only be good to have a choice. I do like the lower zone for editing audio or midi, as somehow I always end up opening numerous windows of the same, but yeah, for the mixer is a bit too little.

Hmmm... I may end up calling it for audio editing. I've only seen it a couple times opened by mistake. I'm kind of primitive. :D

Honestly, there's no point in switching hosts after being in one so long unless you were SUPER unhappy with the current on and unhappy with it's workflow. You'd have to deal with a learning curve and the possibility of not happy with THAT new host.

jacqueslacouth wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:34 pm The first question I would be asking is what is it that I cannot do that I simply have to be able to with my current set up? Then I would be considering if there was any real need to throw down more cash on either...update OR DAW switch. I am on Cubase 9 and for AU$208 to upgrade, I am really not seeing anything that I NEED to have in the upgrade to 10.
Dude, you need to do it. I went into it very cautiously after looking at everything on the Cubase forum and all of the complaints from a bunch of members over there, and I'm going to say this... you need to update. Those people at the Cubase forums are just complaining to complain. This is actually the best update in I don't know how long. Cubase 10 is effing awesome. I can't even look at 9.5 anymore after working in Cubase 10 for just a little while today. It seems as if though they fixed all of the GUI niggles I had since Cubase 9. The only one thing I could complain about and it's not even major to me, is that they still have not fixed the skinny scrollbars and my first impression was that they kind of cheapened... well... I'll use a better term, "simplified" the look of Cubase. It just took me only a few hours to get used to it and fall in love with the new look. I totally understand why they did what they did and it makes total sense. I also discovered a bunch of other s*** that I was like, "wow this is pretty cool man, finally they added this..." if you are a die-hard Cubase user, you gotta check this update out.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”