SoundToys 5 no need for Ilok

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here is great news, no more need for Ilok for SoundToys plug ins, a blessing.

Others should learn from this excellent initiative.

https://www.soundtoys.com/product/soundtoys-5/

There are several threads speaking about this already.
They are still using ilok/pace. You just dont' need a dongle (which they give you the option awhile ago), and you dont' need an ilok account... this is the new part... afaik.
Which btw is how e-licenser works, I believe.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=514681&p=7223403&hi ... s#p7223403

viewtopic.php?p=7227546#p7227546

for instance.
rsp
sound sculptist

With version 5.3, it does with activation codes

Yep and that activation code then goes to ilok company and authorises your computer to run it. Very much like the computer authorisation except you had to create/have an ilok account before.

If you don't believe me, download 5.3 install and take a screen shot or look at the very last page of the installation.
rsp
sound sculptist

Ok thanks for that clarification.

Welcome.
This is what the email says:
"With this release, Soundtoys plug-ins can now be activated using Activation Codes. This is a new feature we’re introducing to make it easier for new customers to get up and running quickly without requiring an iLok.com account.

All Soundtoys web store purchases will now be delivered via Activation Code. We still support iLok activation, as there are benefits to managing your licenses with the iLok License Manager. See our License Activation FAQ for all the details.'
emphasis mine.
rsp
sound sculptist

Is there any more info on this? Does this eliminate the issue that if you lose your dongle/computer hardware breaks you are SOL with your licenses or not? If it's just another 1-shot (or in this case 2 strikes) and you're out mechanism, it seems pointless. The Soundtoys website is scant on info. This is what I found:
Without an iLok account
  1. Go to your product download page and start downloading
  2. Copy the activation code on the download page to your clipboard
  3. Run the installer and then open your DAW
  4. When the black activation window pops up, click Activate
  5. Paste your activation code
  6. ​Enter your email address and click Activate
All Soundtoys 5 plug-ins come with two activations. Use one at the studio, and the other on your home machine or laptop.
Which answers none of the pertinent questions, like what happens in the case of HW failure etc. If it's just hardware-linked CP by another name, then it's uninteresting. Hardware dies; any system designed without taking that into account is inherently flawed. So I'd like to know if that is actually being addressed, or if this is just smokes and mirrors for the anti-iLok brigade that doesn't actually address the underlying design flaw.

You should email them to get the official version.
My two cents is that this method offers mostly disadvantages (you mentioned them) and the only 'advantage' is that some of the antilok gang will see this and think ahh no ilok :).
Btw, I have never had an ilok die on me and I have been using them for over 16 years.... and with the ilok3 being metal I imagine it is now harder to 'kill' one. And I think software aka cp linked ilok is just begin for trouble, for reasons you mention above.
rsp
sound sculptist

official from Soundtoys support:
"...direct orders from soundtoys.com now come with an activation code (you don't need an iLok or Soundtoys account in order to make a purchase). You can run your plug-in with just the activation code OR you can choose to register that activation to an iLok account... "

But what happens in case of hardware failure, os reinstall, computer upgrade? Can you deactivate and reinstall it on a different computer without restrictions?

It's an activation code... I guess it's as simple as installing the plugin and pasting the code in.
I guess that if you choose to register the code to an iLok account you can't go back to a simple "activation code" license method. Same for prior purchases.

3ee wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:29 pm official from Soundtoys support:
"...direct orders from soundtoys.com now come with an activation code (you don't need an iLok or Soundtoys account in order to make a purchase). You can run your plug-in with just the activation code OR you can choose to register that activation to an iLok account... "
Thank you. Finally someone who knows what the hell they're talking about. :tu:

I am curious. How do you view what 3ee said differently than what I for instance said above?
rsp
sound sculptist

Yeah. Too much is still unclear. Is it similar to u-he protection where you literally enter serial and are done? Can you then install it onto multiple computers without limitation? Soundtoys say that you still need iLok installed so I guess not. Or is it C/R where it checks against online database if the code is valid and how many times it's activated?

I'm suspicious because it sounds too good to be true.
No signature here!

No one wants to believe me clearly :( :) . It is exactly ilok software couldn't tied (that is tied to your computer) protection done simpler but with less flexibility.
But like i said days ago. Contact soundtoys with the questions.
Rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Effects”