Presonus Studio One Pro 4 or Bitwig 2.4 ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

To avoid being off-topic, I open this new post, the continuation of the post Presonus Studio One Pro 4.

For simplicity, I would like to have your opinion on the pros or cons of Studio One Pro 4 and Bitwig.

I hesitate between Studio Pro 4 and Bitwig.

I had Live 9 Suite and not hooked.

Here I have Fl Studio 20, even if an excellent Daw, I find it a little mess, ergonomics not too great, at least for me.

Not very intuitive either.

Studio One Pro 4, offers possibilities for electronic music, given its reputation for its ergonomics, intuitiveness, the why, I hesitate between him and Bitwig.

Regarding the demos, I can not make me an overall idea of ​​the use of either Studio One Pro 4 or Bitwig.

Why, I prefer to ask your opinion on the subject.

Bitwig is geared towards a certain type of music and has the focus on that, so this can be a limiting or a more liberating factor depending on your needs. With Studio One, it's all rounded to cater for any particular type of music you want to create, and with the capacity to do that. You won't feel like you've been put into a shoe box of creativity as much as what you will find in Bitwig, you'll need to work a little harder to get the results you want, but you'll reap bigger rewards for doing so because of all the things that it's able to provide you. Generally speaking, Studio One is a bigger, more comprehensive DAW that you can give anyone, Bitwig Studio not so much. Bitwig is said be to trying address it's CPU limitations when compared to other DAWs, but that remains to be seen...
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Thank you for your answer.

I compose electronic music (Trance / Uplifting / Edm).

Bitwig apparently focuses on this kind of music, just like Fl Studio 20 and Live.

I suspect that Studio One Pro 4 is more open than a Bitwig can be, however, Bitwig is fabulous for modulations.

There is an anti-crash, which is very interesting as well.

As explained, what suits me best is a kind of Acid pro 8 for loops and a Daw like Studio Pro 4, the best of both worlds.

I do not think Studio One Pro 4, generates a loop system like on Acid.

Well, in a practical sense I moved from Reason 7, although I still have it installed today from May 2001 right up to the 29th of Nov 2014 and I can use it vie Rewire if I wanted to with Studio One, but that's been like once in a blue moon usually, because everything I need is in Studio One... for producing trance music.( Bitwig Studio doesn't support Rewire still from what I can see..I remember the outcries when it first came on the scene about that...).

I've been producing trance or some electronic equivalent of it since 1995/96.. back in the days with sound trackers which I loved using. And I get that sorta feeling with Studio One perhaps more than what I had with Reason because it doesn't and still doesn't even today have piano roll step-time recording bewilderingly. The new patterns features in Studio One 4 extend that feeling even further now...and I'm really keen to dig in and explore them now, since upgrading yesterday (19th). I used Acid years ago out of curiosity, it's workflow was interesting, but it's GUI was rather odd and dated for me, so didn't take to it. But if you're working with loops in Studio One, it's fast, drag in loop from browser, press D to duplicate. Want to put a stack of effect plugins on a single sample loop, you can do that using Event FX... Want to, playback and rip audio from a small movie you've imported, you can do that in Pro..., I'm really barely scratching the surface..

For me with Reason, I felt I grew out of it even with having so many RE's I bought on top of the default stuff provided... The modular way was fun, but it felt like much of it was like trying to craft everything before actually making a piece of music..programming in Redrum...going round that back wiring stuff up, digging into combinators and re-routing ect. With Studio One, I'm right in there, selecting instruments to use, tweaking them and making music from the off, rather than spending a large amount of time building everything before hand.

I want the music making process to be a challenge, but I don't want it to slow me down either, and for me, Studio One strikes that balance nicely, able to approach things in different ways if I want to.
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Trancer,
Check out this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6xx1HevtgI

The main difference is that Biwig/Live/FL Studio give you alternative way to arrange and play music. Those three also can be used in live performance as opposed to S1/Cubase/Logic ... etc in the studio.

I don't believe about genres being composed with a specific DAW! I still can make Rock music in Ableton Live and Bitwig! I also can use Cubase or S1 for EDM!

It's all about preference. Just use what clicks with you. They are all the same :hihi:

There's also Super8 and Playtime for live looping in Reaper.

From what you've said above, it sounds like you should try Bitwig first because it's built around working with loops, heavy modulation, and still has the DAW / playlist functionality.

Trancer wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:33 am I suspect that Studio One Pro 4 is more open than a Bitwig can be
:?:
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Trancer wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:33 am
I do not think Studio One Pro 4, generates a loop system like on Acid.
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... musicloops
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I'd say those 2 are pretty different in their approach. Both have demos available, so, I'd see which one's workflow suits you better. TBH, after demo'ing Bitwig 8-track, I found it downright weird. Studio One suits my way of thinking just so much better. But, we're all different in that regard. Maybe it was also down to what I was used to for years.

EnGee wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:37 am The main difference is that Biwig/Live/FL Studio give you alternative way to arrange and play music. Those three also can be used in live performance as opposed to S1/Cubase/Logic ... etc in the studio.

I don't believe about genres being composed with a specific DAW! I still can make Rock music in Ableton Live and Bitwig! I also can use Cubase or S1 for EDM!

It's all about preference. Just use what clicks with you. They are all the same :hihi:
you are correct by saying about music genres are not specific DAW property but at the same time Ableton and Bitwig companies advertise their products as a electronic music machine..
look at youtube and you ll see that these companies dont have Rock bands doing music on their DAW's but always EDM musicians cooking EDM samples.
friendly speaking cheers mate

mesfigas wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:14 am
EnGee wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:37 am The main difference is that Biwig/Live/FL Studio give you alternative way to arrange and play music. Those three also can be used in live performance as opposed to S1/Cubase/Logic ... etc in the studio.

you are correct by saying about music genres are not specific DAW property but at the same time Ableton and Bitwig companies advertise their products as a electronic music machine..
look at youtube and you ll see that these companies dont have Rock bands doing music on their DAW's but always EDM musicians cooking EDM samples.
friendly speaking cheers mate
Yes sure. Many FL Studio demos are about Dubstep also, but in reality you are free to use it the way it is. We can't say that Jarre is an EDM producer, right? But he is using Ableton Live (posting the video that has been posted about 1000 times before :hihi: ) This is an example of how not to chain yourself to what the marketing is saying ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... BMNRqltnRI

Bitwig - if you want to focus on creating movement in sounds & effects, work more with textures and sound design rather than melody, prefer to jam with ideas and aspire to play live someday due to its clip launcher & very tight integration with Push2, JAM or LPP

Studio One - if you're more of a linear arrangement person and also work a lot with audio, vocals (Melodyne integration, soon ARA2), melodies and chord progressions (Harmonic Editing added in v4).

Both are great choice, but they're pretty different IMO. It's not that one is created for one type of music or the other, but they definitely have their strengths in different areas. They're great complimentary DAWs :)

If money is important, then S1 is now -50% and v4 came out 2 months ago, so you probably won't have to upgrade it for 1.5-2 years. With Bitwig you'll be tempted to pat $139-169 every year to keep up to date (because their updates are awesome & worth it).
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

The biggest thing that Bitwig gets which few others do is... MPE. MPE for all of your plugin instruments not just a few.
Once you've gone MPE it's hard to go back.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”