Schoeps Mono Upmix - any experiences?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i still got my voucher and could get it for free, i read it is 100% mono compatible, nice, but such a normally expensive plugin, anything special for you with this plugin?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Used my upgrade voucher and got it for $25. MAN this is good.

Where did you read it was 100% mono compatible (link)? I can't see how that would be possible... but in my testing it is very mono compatible - just not as 100% as, say, basic Left/Right comb filtering EQ which sums perfectly.

But Upmix is world's away from anything in my toolbox right now - I have been wanting a simple plugin like this for awhile. Fully automatable too. Can replace reverb outright in a lot of situations - infact it kind of IS a reverb... or a "reflections" designer.

Its nice, VST3 only though, which is lame. There are a few alternatives
around which I preferred personally. It's simplicity is welcome though.
I can upgrade to it, although I likely wont for a while. I actually prefer
bx_stereomaker over it for my needs. Or panagement from Auburn Sounds,
which I use mostly.

I used it on a mono drums room mic and was pleasantly surprised by how well it worked in that application.

I recently came across a new way of thinking about panning via BOZ's Pan Knob. I think that plugin is pretty good at what it does at a fraction of the cost of the Schoeps plugin. That is, if you only want the natural panning effect. The Schoeps on the other hand offers some more (and pretty awesome) features. Upmix really sounds like enhanced room tone from the recording itself. The depth control offers early reflections that are pretty quick and easy to setup.

Can confirm that it's a pretty awesome tool to make a mono drum room mic sound more roomy. I went a little further with it and put a transient designer in front of the Schoeps to dial back about 25-50% of attack and dial up about 15% of sustain (to taste). Then the Schoeps, then a bit of compression.

Will use bx_stereomaker and Schoeps a lot. Will grab BOZ's Pan Knob occasionally when I don't need all the extra features.

Maybe it is the material I used with this so far, but it starts to sound a bit synthetic quite easily and the Early Reflections sound is getting in the way too sometimes. It holds transients very well though. I got better and more dry processing out of old Waves PS22 but will check with more material.

strange thing is i just used an IMPACT sample with nice Bright stereo field, added the plugin it lost? the stereo field? am i missing something?
MogwaiBoy wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:40 pm Used my upgrade voucher and got it for $25. MAN this is good.

Where did you read it was 100% mono compatible (link)? I can't see how that would be possible... but in my testing it is very mono compatible - just not as 100% as, say, basic Left/Right comb filtering EQ which sums perfectly.

But Upmix is world's away from anything in my toolbox right now - I have been wanting a simple plugin like this for awhile. Fully automatable too. Can replace reverb outright in a lot of situations - infact it kind of IS a reverb... or a "reflections" designer.
i just found the commentary on an official video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 7Ah2-uxr_U

hmmmm shall i get this tool or the new saturator, i got 20 saturators and not many panners, i guess it will be the panner ;D
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:15 pm strange thing is i just used an IMPACT sample with nice Bright stereo field, added the plugin it lost? the stereo field? am i missing something?
Well, the plugin is named Mono Upmix, so maybe it mixes the input down to mono before applying the stereo effect?

Though I've neither the time nor the money for more plugins this month, I'd be interested to hear how this compares to 2CAudio Precedence or other stereo positioning effects.

ahhh yeah, sounds logic, well i got a $50 voucher so i could get it for free otherwise i wouldnt buy it. so i wonder how you would use this plugin, on which material.

Predecense interests me as well, i have to check if it keeps the STEREO infos.

Have experience that i could'nt find how to uninstall it lol.
Well not a bad fx, but it does not add mark to windows programs section, and this is vst3 only, what complicates its removal manually.

Use it with care and it won't be noticeable at all. Step a hair away from "subtle" and all of a sudden it's just inorganic, synthetic and may get phase messed up... I was lucky to be able to find it and uninstall it though... :party:
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

escalona wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:38 pm I was lucky to be able to find it and uninstall it though...
So uninstall or just remove vst3 file ?

c_voltage wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:51 pm
escalona wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:38 pm I was lucky to be able to find it and uninstall it though...
So uninstall or just remove vst3 file ?
just the vst3, I couldn't find any other trace besides the dll.
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

This is one of those plugins that I forgot I actually owned. I think I'll have to blow the dust off it and put it to some use again.

Return to “Effects”