Is Sound it! 8 Pro better than Sound Forge?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I am using Windows 10 64bit and I believe both guys have very good features in terms of Audio editing capabilities. However, from Sound it! 8 pro, it said

High-resolution PCM (DXD) maximum 768kHz / 32Bit INT and DSD 256 / 128 / 64 formats are supported. You can load, record, edit, process and save these file types.
* You can edit and process DSD converted to PCM then save as DSD.

DSD Native Recording / PlaybackPro
You can do DSD Native Recording and Playback without converting to PCM format.

Supported DSD audio formats
DSD64 (2.82MHz/3.07MHz), DSD128 (5.64MHz/6.14MHz), DSD256 (11.28MHz/12.28MHz)
* The audio interface or AD/DA converter, compatible with DSD Native Recording / Playback

It seemed to me that Sound forge couldn't handle those kind of Hi-Res audio files. Is it the main diff between these 2 big boys ? Really appreciate to have your comments and thoughts on it.

Regards!
Cowby

I'm sure this will make tangible difference on a stock ear-buds that come with Samsung or Apple phones ;)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Yeah, with resolution like that you better be perfect because it will document every nuance of those inperfections or, you could just call that the jazz version. Ofcourse only if you actually record music live and that wouldnt mean anything in the Software world, no worries about do overs with unlimited editing and pitch tweaking. It's nice to have the tools we have available to us.

Al kidding aside if you need those for tranfering to a mastering or pressing plant or you have a device capable of recording in that range, go for it.

I really cant give any constructive advice in this matter other than this useless reply....

I would suggest that SoundForge is the more sophisticated and mature editor, it depends on what you want/need.. I use the Acid_Loop creation tools along with other tools I have used over the years.
If you really need to use or export DSD try this free Tascam (simple ) editor, although it does not record DSD... btw, DSD files are big.. nah VERY big.. personally if I needed high resolution SF does 32 bit (float) at 192 Khz
https://tascam.com/us/product/hi-res_editor/download
Also here is an interesting article>>
https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 15&t=58846

Audio Editor programs definitely have a place in this world but, it seems mainly for people in the video game industry, or sound to picture, where there is a lot of need for file editing and format conversion in bulk. I remember when Wavelab, Sound Forge, and Bias Peak were almost a necessity for DSP as an offline process, because doing it in a DAW was simply not practical. They were also good for taking audio files, slicing them up, assigning to key groups and converting to your favorite sampler format. I’ll bet that sounds familiar because you can do the same thing in a DAW now

DSD was developed by Sony & Philips with the specific idea of selling SACD (or some other HDformat) players. It may be short sighted of me to say it but, until Samsung or Apple adopt DSD format as a playback medium in their phones, it is basically (to borrow a phrase from a particularly crusty plumber I worked for)”tits on a bull.” If Wavelab or Sound Forge found it worth pursuing, they probably would have already paid Sony for the code. Am I sounding cynical?
Last edited by W23 on Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

antic604 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:21 pm I'm sure this will make tangible difference on a stock ear-buds that come with Samsung or Apple phones ;)
oh it does.. oh yes it does...
makes my ears tingle with such high freq... ofc I don't hear any of that.. but my brain loves the buzz :hyper:

W23 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:37 pm .... DSD was developed by Sony & Philips with the specific idea of selling SACD ...
If Wavelab or Sound Forge found it worth pursuing, they probably would have already paid Sony for the code. Am I sounding cynical?
Remember... Sony owned SoundForge for years and did not add DSD ... speaks for it's self really.

toonertik wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:42 pm
W23 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:37 pm .... DSD was developed by Sony & Philips with the specific idea of selling SACD ...
If Wavelab or Sound Forge found it worth pursuing, they probably would have already paid Sony for the code. Am I sounding cynical?
Remember... Sony owned SoundForge for years and did not add DSD ... speaks for it's self really.
Exactly, and Magix are no slouches in the DSP world either

W23 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:45 pm
Yes... my first DAW was Samplitude 4 track multimedia in 1997.. now Samplitude Pro X3, amazing piece of kit.

toonertik wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:57 pm
Yes... my first DAW was Samplitude 4 track multimedia in 1997.. now Samplitude Pro X3, amazing piece of kit.
But that wasn't Magix, was it? :hihi:

Sound Forge 12 adds little to the previous version. Basically the only thing worth mention is the fact that it's 64bit now. Yet Magix is charging an arm and a leg for the upgrade, and keeps proposing a ridiculous subscription price for it :nutter:

Sound It! Pro can rival with basically everything Sound Forge offers, and has a better FX package included. In terms of "bang-for-the-buck" I'd say Sound It! Pro, at least until Magix learns the lesson (as they did with Samplitude Pro X Suite, but it took them four years and two versions to learn).
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:12 pm
toonertik wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:57 pm
But that wasn't Magix, was it? :hihi:
Verily true.. it was Sek'd, if after so many years and beers I spellt it correctly
but Magix have developed it since about 2003.

Plenty of really cheap 2nd hand SoundForge licences in the Kvr Sales forum
Amazon: why not use an alternative

W23 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:37 pm Audio Editor programs definitely have a place in this world but, it seems mainly for people in the video game industry, or sound to picture, where there is a lot of need for file editing and format conversion in bulk.

i always use SF for recording and editing samples, and also for final mastering of songs, its so much easier than doing it in my host.

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:09 am Plenty of really cheap 2nd hand SoundForge licences in the Kvr Sales forum
Yes, but those are for Sound Forge 11 (I too have spare ones). Sound Forge 11 is still 32-bit (other than that, is a perfectly capable audio editor, and I am still using it).
Fernando (FMR)

AnX wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:14 am
W23 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:37 pm
i always use SF for recording and editing samples, and also for final mastering of songs, its so much easier than doing it in my host.
I used to to the same thing but, I quit updating and using SF back in 2009. Everything you just described can just as easily be done in a DAW now. I just cut one step out of the process. I totally understand being used to a particular way of doing things would increase efficiency, though.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”