Roli Seaboard RISE

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

himalaya wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:43 pm Equator is quicker to understand and use. So, if you don't want to be bogged down with too many options, it's a superb choice. For 5D sound design, it is still the best option thanks to the 4 master expression curves for each dimension. This really gives a lot of flexibility and allows you to do cool tricks, like split the SLIDE so that the upwards and downwards movements do something else, or you can do a pseudo-ribbon splits as well.

You can mix samples with VA/wavetable oscillators (no scanning though) or FM very easily. So it can give instant results.
Each sample module has its own multi-mode filter (!) which can be then routed to the master two multi-mode filters or not. You can route samples with their own filters away from the master filters either to the effects or dry output. There is so much flexibility, in what is a relatively simple synthesis engine.

The good thing is, both synths use the same way of adding modulation:
select a modulation source and then add the modulation to any and every knob you see on the GUI. So once you know, one, you know both. Although, Cypher's modulation is much more elaborate and visually helpful.

Also, don't forget that there is also Strobe2, which is also MPE compatible in the same way as Cypher2. This gives yet another sound, and a way of interacting with the FXpansion audio engine. A very simple synth to use, but very powerful (especially with all those cool tricks available via TransMod, so as an example, the single master oscillator can be split in two!).
Good stuff. Thank you. :hug:
And it's true, I skipped over Strobe but it sounds like I'll have to reconsider :phones:

Whywhy wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:54 am I dream for a new version of Equator :
A Cypher2 architecture, but in a digital version, with phase modulation and scan able wavetable, plus the sample player and the 5D curves of Equator .
I don't want any of that garbage. Equator has a great balance of features and usability as it stands, adding all that would ruin it. Equator does what it does really, really well. If you want that other stuff, use one or more of the thousands of other soft synths out there.
himalaya wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:43 pmAlso, don't forget that there is also Strobe2, which is also MPE compatible in the same way as Cypher2. This gives yet another sound, and a way of interacting with the FXpansion audio engine. A very simple synth to use, but very powerful (especially with all those cool tricks available via TransMod, so as an example, the single master oscillator can be split in two!).
I installed Strobe 2 when I first got my Roli but I haven't bothered since. It just didn't grab me at all, especially when compared with Equator. Maybe I should give it another go? A lot has changed (in my brain) since I first tried it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:57 am
A Cypher2 architecture, but in a digital version, with phase modulation and scan able wavetable, plus the sample player and the 5D curves of Equator .
I don't want any of that garbage. Equator has a great balance of features and usability as it stands, adding all that would ruin it. Equator does what it does really, really well. If you want that other stuff, use one or more of the thousands of other soft synths out there.
If you find that all the Cypher2 transmod sources are garbage, I can't do anything for you !
Best
YY

Whywhy wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:41 am
BONES wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:57 am
If you find that all the Cypher2 transmod sources are garbage, I can't do anything for you !
Bones knows what he likes and will not be told any other way.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I don't understand how more modulations sources can transform a synth into : " garbage ", plus, give me a synth abe to do what Equator can do with all the Cypher2 transmod sources.... :dog:
Last edited by Whywhy on Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best
YY

Whywhy wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:41 pm I don't understand how more modulations sources can transform a synth into : " garbage ".....
Check out a few of Negative Nancy, sorry Bones’, posts and you’ll understand.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:45 pm
Whywhy wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:41 pm I don't understand how more modulations sources can transform a synth into : " garbage ".....
Check out a few of Negative Nancy, sorry Bones’, posts and you’ll understand.
Right !
Best
YY

Whywhy wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:41 am If you find that all the Cypher2 transmod sources are garbage, I can't do anything for you !
I don't even know what they are, nor do I care. What I care about is that Equator has the right balance of features and usability, which would be ruined by the addition of extra features. If you want the stuff from Cypher 2, use Cypher 2. Softsynths don't have to be jacks of all trades because we can have as many of them as we like.
Whywhy wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:41 pm I don't understand how more modulations sources can transform a synth into : " garbage "
Nobody said they would but those mod sources have to live somewhere in an already crowded GUI. To me it seems that even one more feature would be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

You see, I think the way to make Equator better would be to remove features, not add them. e.g. I'd get rid of two of the envelopes and make the remaining three's GUI much bigger. They are really hard to use as they are so doing that would actually improve the synth overall. And no, I wouldn't want to see them hidden behind tabs where I can't see what they are doing because that would make it harder to use.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I've come to the realization I much prefer simpler instruments. i spent something like 5 years squeezing everything I could out of my first synth in the 80s (a Roland SH2). I don't want something complicated or I end up only using 10% of it or end up using presets, neither of which sit well with me.

For this reason I swapped out a Virus for an Oberhiem OB6.

It's great that some people are able to fully exploit the more complicated instruments but there should also be an understanding and respect for those that want something different.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

I would question that anyone exploits those things. We all find the little bit of it that works for us and we stick to that, I think, except for those who never go any further than playing with a synth's parameters.

Hi Mats,

I'm curious if your problems got eventually fixed?! I have some problems but I fear I have to wait weeks (ir maybe months) for them to replace it! (and probably give me another defective one :hihi: )

So how is your Seaboard's condition now if I may ask? Went for the 4th one or it was a software/firmware bug or you returned it?! :?

The issues are really on the nerve :cry:
Oh dear, this didn't turn up as a notification in spite of having "notify me when a reply is posted". 2 1/2 year now, even more. Sorry for the late catchup.

But as you can imagine, as I didn't return ith a reply soon enough, I didn't go further with it. A lot of hassle to get the money back from warranty. In our country and the music shop, it has to be returned and tried to fix 3 times before you have the right to withdraw the purchase in full. That one alone took me about 2 months almost. Much paperwork from the shop, and everybody else down the line trying to postpone or procastrinate things to no end. I am Roli-less now but it seems I can still use X-pansion Strobe2 and Equatore without MPE features without it complaining about licenses. I think if I have to wait and wait til they fix problems I can just as well save small amounts of money and buy the Haken Continuum instead, of which I had the fortune of trying out later on (after Roli). It's more than three times the price of the Roli Rise seaboard, but in the same ballpark as the Roli Grand. Haken Continuum sends MPE these days. But Haken Continuum is hand built one by one, and has no warranty service like Roli had, in spite of it all.

I think it's good though, to have waited this amount of time, before replying, because there can be others who have detected small irks and quirks in the long run. idiosyncrasies physcial wear that doesn't show up until several years later, and then it would be ventilated here.

As it is, with everything, if you sell truckloads of a thing, there's always more percentage of duds, "factory seconds", bugs, and QC going out on a limb occasionally. While I have nothing against Roli customer service, they did try to make it work, they did confess to having ONE "bad batch" delivered, and probably they got all that back. Someone else reported on uneven glide, glissandos, with deeper "feel" and louder sound all of a sudden, and others replied to this as "maybe you have a faulty unit" ? I still had main gripes with how the software (Equator) and the - maybe - Haken responds to legato playing on monophonic solos. Like on guitar, it isn't picked with a pick on all of the notes, on sax solo (which there are plenty of on YT) you don't hear the "blow" attack on each note when playing improvised long scales, and especially violin legatos which can be a fine line between arcing/bowing, and legato. I tried to put my fingers "behind" the top note and release the top note for which I wasn't expecting a re-trigger, while it seemed to almost work it failed with some instruments. Especially guitar like (plucked) pieces.

Like the one, that it was his/her first actual instrument. How should such a person know what is a real fault with it, or a consequence of the design that you have to live with, or not a consequence even but a feature, main trait? I know for sure, that resetting the Roli now and then when the upper octave ceased to function or the sliders didn't respond at all, is not a deisgn feature. The software gets crammed up and stuck in some kind of buffer or loop.

I hope they have sorted out most of their main irks, quirks, and especially BT MIDI working continuously and flawlessly. I am using regular midi controller keyboards at the moment, but must insist that I am still thrilled by the new nano-continuum by Haken. Maybe one doesn't need that full length keyboard?

But as this is a Roli thread let's keep it there and not hype the über-expensive Haken Continuum, which are for the select well off few.
Last edited by Mats Eriksson on Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

All that said, I am not reluctant to try Roli again some time in the future. Very very clever idea, good design, on paper, but I wish they would beta test it and take it out for a test spin on their special secret speed track they got in the woods (like they do with sport cars), to really sort out the gnarls...But as it is with me, they have to up it to walk a few extra miles then, because I am the one that thinks "they got one chance, let's move on..." Wasted money on that one, and especially time. Ok then not wasted that much money since the purchase eventually went back.. and I can still use Equator and Strobe 2... :wink: For how long I don't know.... :ud:

That sounds like a frustrating experience Mats. I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you. As a lifelong piano player who dabbled in guitar, I was always jealous of the guitars ability to bend notes and do vibrato in a natural sounding way. Yes, most synths have a pitch bend but it never felt or sounded really natural imho. I bought a ROLI a year or so ago and it just changed everything. I no longer am jealous about anything a guitar can do. The ROLI does it all and more. I actually told my wife that I am thrilled to be alive at a time where this innovation to a keyboard(ish) instrument was possible. It has held up perfectly so far. I have Strobe and Cypher but Equator has become my go to synth to use with it. I love that soft synth. Best of luck with the Haken, I wasn't familiar with it and will have to look it up.
For streaming and free music downloads visit http://kennethrobertsmusic.com/

As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, I now own a Seaboard Rise 49, a LinnStrument, and a half size Haken Continuum. Of those three controllers, the Roli is my least favorite. On the other hand, Equator, Cypher, and Strobe are all excellent, and I love using them with both the Seaboard and LinnStrument. The Continuum has its own internal synth, and the real strength of that instrument is the integration of the two. I haven’t yet bought the CV/gate interface for the Continuum, but I anticipate that also being a great application for it.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

How would that work? How do you transmit all the expressive possibilities via CV+Gate? I look at a Linnstrument and I have no idea how it works. It looks to me like it would make sense to a guitarist but it makes none at all to me. I've never seen a Continuum, and I could certainly never justify the price of it, so I'll take you at your word on it. But I love my Seaboard, especially my new Block (sold the Rise last week) and the Lightpad Block that came with it.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”