Presonus Studio One Pro 4

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:25 pm
Thanks, that'll save some sanity and practical annoyance with knowing that now although that still requires you to be suitably zoomed in to place the mouse cursor in the appropriate zone which isn't always the case when working with high track counts...
Sorry, but that´s nonsense as the mouse cursor when zoomed out looses the range tool and stays the whole track height as a pointer, which is necessary for the ALT+ doubleclick...
So it´s more otherway round...
When far zoomed in you have to take care, that the mouse is in the lower sector with smart tool enabled...
The more you zoom out, the easier it gets... up to a certain level obviously...

... and I was just happy to make a new shortcut in Reaper "Ctrl + Shift + O" for midi overdub! It is even one cm more travelling for my right arm than what THE INTRANCER complains about to be honest :hihi:

Trancit wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:29 pm Sorry, but that´s nonsense as the mouse cursor when zoomed out looses the range tool and stays the whole track height as a pointer, which is necessary for the ALT+ doubleclick...
So it´s more otherway round...
When far zoomed in you have to take care, that the mouse is in the lower sector with smart tool enabled...
The more you zoom out, the easier it gets... up to a certain level obviously...
Yup, upon testing this, this appears to be the case..., (Studio One wasn't available to me as of the time of my reply, but if there's something I need to correct, I'll do that later in editing, I didn't expect to have debate on it with anyone, and recalling program behaviour from memory isn't always accurate in any case).
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Atom not arrived yet.

Promised after 23rd.

Meanwhile, Chord Track can do some amazing stuff.

What follows is a bit tech, but it's something that was impossible 6 months ago, so it's worth a read if you've got a minute to spare.

The challenge: I wanted to pinch one of Manuel Schleis's gorgeous arps from Avenger and run it against a piano ballad I'm working on, a celebration piece.

Normally an arp will not follow all the major/minor chord changes, so it's a waste of time.

It only works on one note, not chord changes.

This is because all an arp can do is spit out what it's programmed to do, and consequently get all the major & minor thirds (etc) totally wrong.

Arps are not compositionally intelligent.

So tonight - I fed my theme into the Avenger arp, while recording Avenger's output to an empty track as midi, which was very easy and quick.

Obviously it made a complete balls up of my theme (as you'd expect from a beautiful but dumb arp sequence).

Then I applied S1's Chord Track to the arp.

Bingo. Instant.

It now sounds perfect, wonderful. Not one dud note.

This is valhalla.

I've now been able to incorporate the lovely arp sequence into my toon, and enrich it :D

Until Chord Track this was impossible.

The only way to do it was manual edit, which takes forever, and is inspiration killing.

This is as groundbreaking as the day when any wav loop was first able to sync in time & pitch to any track (remember that one?)

For me, this single feature justifies the S1 v4 upgrade.

To my knowledge, S1 v4 is the only DAW that does this.

(btw thanks for getting to the end :wink: )
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

kevvvvv wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:09 am Atom not arrived yet.

Promised after 23rd.

Meanwhile, Chord Track can do some amazing stuff.

What follows is a bit tech, but it's something that was impossible 6 months ago, so it's worth a read if you've got a minute to spare.

The challenge: I wanted to pinch one of Manuel Schleis's gorgeous arps from Avenger and run it against a piano ballad I'm working on, a celebration piece.

Normally an arp will not follow all the major/minor chord changes, so it's a waste of time.

It only works on one note, not chord changes.

This is because all an arp can do is spit out what it's programmed to do, and consequently get all the major & minor thirds (etc) totally wrong.

Arps are not compositionally intelligent.

So tonight - I fed my theme into the Avenger arp, while recording Avenger's output to an empty track as midi, which was very easy and quick.

Obviously it made a complete balls up of my theme (as you'd expect from a beautiful but dumb arp sequence).

Then I applied S1's Chord Track to the arp.

Bingo. Instant.

It now sounds perfect, wonderful. Not one dud note.

This is valhalla.

I've now been able to incorporate the lovely arp sequence into my toon, and enrich it :D

Until Chord Track this was impossible.

The only way to do it was manual edit, which takes forever, and is inspiration killing.

This is as groundbreaking as the day when any wav loop was first able to sync in time & pitch to any track (remember that one?)

For me, this single feature justifies the S1 v4 upgrade.

To my knowledge, S1 v4 is the only DAW that does this.

(btw thanks for getting to the end :wink: )
is the reason I upgraded too!!

EnGee wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:33 pm ... and I was just happy to make a new shortcut in Reaper "Ctrl + Shift + O" for midi overdub! It is even one cm more travelling for my right arm than what THE INTRANCER complains about to be honest :hihi:
Yeah, there are many hundreds (if not thousands in Reaper) of bind-able actions in these products and given that there's only so many keys and modifiers on a keyboard, there will always be some "finger twister" combos from the factory bindings. :hihi:

With the exception of Pro Tools users, everyone else on the planet can just change them.

I haven't counted Studio One's actions in some years. Last time I did it was in the mid 500's, which is probably on the low side compared to Cubase and Reaper.

Trancer wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:19 am What do you think of this Daw?

Handling, ergonomics, its best assets, what is missing?

Is he a good Daw to compose electronic music (Trance / Edm)?
I've been setting up my SOP4 and just found out it doesn't do Acid style looping. WOW! It can import loops (Wav, REX, MIDI ...) and sync the tempo to the song but to loop the file you need to select it and repeatedly hit D (duplicate) to loop it. I checked the Presonus forum and it's been requested many times already.

I don't work exclusively with loops so it's not huge but for a top DAW to not be able to just click and drag out a loop these days is pretty shocking.

You can hit Shift+D and you will duplicate shared, which is better than loop.

Stan Navi wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:41 am You can hit Shift+D and you will duplicate shared, which is better than loop.
Thanks, I check that out.

LawrenceF wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:07 pmWith the exception of Pro Tools users, everyone else on the planet can just change them.
Ahem, add Live and Reason to this list... :(
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I am not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but the included acoustic sounds that ship with Studio One 4 are pretty good. I was not expecting any, so it was a nice bonus to find them.

Yesterday, I saw that Halon 6 was on sale at 60% off, so I downloaded all 28 GB of it only to find out that the acoustic sounds are not as good as the ones that come with Studio one 4. This is subjective of course, and I am sure people will disagree, but personally I prefer them.

Hello Folks,
I have a question regarding S1 4.
I want to record midi data to my S1 Sequencer from a Roland GW8 Arranger Keyboard.
I opened individual midi tracks for drums, bass, accomp.
When I push Record it records with a 1/32 delay the midi data on the track.
How can I compensate this delay?

antic604 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:27 am
LawrenceF wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:07 pmWith the exception of Pro Tools users, everyone else on the planet can just change them.
Ahem, add Live and Reason to this list... :(
...and FL Studio :scared:
void main(dumb)

andy.tamas wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:20 pm Hello Folks,
I have a question regarding S1 4.
I want to record midi data to my S1 Sequencer from a Roland GW8 Arranger Keyboard.
I opened individual midi tracks for drums, bass, accomp.
When I push Record it records with a 1/32 delay the midi data on the track.
How can I compensate this delay?
Lower the Processing 'Dropout Protection' buffer level to a lower setting within the audio settings of Studio One or that of the audio interface you are using.

Additionally and because you're using an actual external synthesizer rather than just a midi keyboard... Check out this recent video posted by one of the members of the dev team at Presonus.. in providing accurate midi to audio sync recording...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOI1Thj ... lB&index=4
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”