FabFilter Pro-Q 3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pro-Q 3

Is it 64-bit internal precision? Cuz according to Plugindoctor, Pro-Q 2 may not have been...

Re: Bmaniac - he totally is. Dude's beyond the Thunderdome cray cray.

I haven't got around to trying it yet, but I've noticed the word 'sidechain' during the walkthrough. Yet, I haven't seen anything like Neutron/Trackspacer's sidechain, where the bass would duck on one track when the kick hits on another. Is that possible at all?

Armadillo wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:03 am I haven't got around to trying it yet, but I've noticed the word 'sidechain' during the walkthrough. Yet, I haven't seen anything like Neutron/Trackspacer's sidechain, where the bass would duck on one track when the kick hits on another. Is that possible at all?
No. :phones:
External side chaining
FabFilter Pro-Q 3 offers the possibility of feeding an external signal to its side chain, so that you can visualize the signal in the Analyzer, comparing it with the pre-EQ and post-EQ spectrums. Also, you can use the SC input to let Pro-Q 3 match its spectrum, using EQ Match. Feeding a signal to a plug-in's side-chain inputs works slightly different in various hosts. This topic describes the procedure for some of the most popular hosts around: Cubase, Logic Pro, Ableton Live and Pro Tools. To explain how it works, we use a scenario with two tracks. The first one contains the audio that we want to process with Pro-Q 3, which we'll call the main track from now. The second track contains the audio that we want to route to Pro-Q 3's external side-chain input. We'll call this track the side chain track. After setting up everything according to the instructions below for your host, you can check whether everything is routed correctly. Play the audio and make sure you've chosen the 'Side Chain' item from the external spectrum list in the Analyzer panel. Confirm that FabFilter Pro-Q 3 shows the side-chain spectrum now.

Off topic, but FF needs to make a multi-out band-splitter widget with their slick GUI...
ImageImageImageImage

bmanic wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:44 am
perpetual3 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:41 pm
Lesha wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:26 pm
perpetual3 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:20 pm Hey bManiac
:lol:
Don’t get what’s so funny.
A slight difference between a manic personality and a maniac? Both descriptors do suit my personality though. :hihi:
Oh my god I feel like a fool.

bmanic wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:29 pm You should be fine with Pro-Q2. FabFilter doesn't abandon older plugins unless formats completely change. If you run into bugs in Pro-Q2 I'm sure FabFilter would fix them (they've done so in the past with Pro-Q1 for instance).

Having said that, have you guys actually tried the dynamic EQ action? It seems to be program dependent and do most of what one would normally do with a dynamic EQ. Also if you click the 'Auto' button you'll get a manual threshold and the internal operatings of the compression change to reflect this. You can get more brutal with peak detection in this mode, if that's what is required. For instance, you can set the threshold to just barely touch the peaks and then set the actual dynamic range all the way to the bottom.

I do wish we got attack and release parameters though. It was asked for at the beta forum, pretty much from the start. I just suspect they may consider a future true dynamic EQ at some point with a lot more settings (knee, program dependency, attack, release, sidechain etc).
If they added these features,wouldn't it become a Multiband compressor?

Regarding the "no track names are shown" bug fabfilter just answered my post on facebook that they will look into this :tu:

EDIT:
Hm, kinda hard to see, but in this view ProQ3 should display the NAME of the tracks, where ProQ3 also is used but in Ableton and Bitwig it only says "ProQ1", "ProQ2", etc, instead if the real name of the track
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
proud to produce warezless!
my Trap beatz:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4J14A ... -FzS9TNa2w

highkoo wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:07 am Off topic, but FF needs to make a multi-out band-splitter widget with their slick GUI...
I agree 100% and is something I've asked ever since Pro-MB was released!

At the moment I actually use two instances of Pro-MB on separate tracks to do band splitting. Simply solo the channel you want to have as the split band and then on the other track mute that same channel with identical settings. Boom, Fabfilter flexible unique split filter done. :)

.. but yeah, definitely would pay a small sum of money for a flexible band-splitting widget with a slick GUI!
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

e@rs wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:30 pm I also ran into an issue (tried on 2 different machines). The VST3 version doesn't display any of the other tracks' spectrum on the big spectrum display. The VST2 works properly. In S1 3 got the same behavior. To my surprise, the VST3 works properly in S1 2. Anybody can confirm this?
Nobody? :o

plexuss wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:29 am
Armadillo wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:03 am I haven't got around to trying it yet, but I've noticed the word 'sidechain' during the walkthrough. Yet, I haven't seen anything like Neutron/Trackspacer's sidechain, where the bass would duck on one track when the kick hits on another. Is that possible at all?
No. :phones:
External side chaining
FabFilter Pro-Q 3 offers the possibility of feeding an external signal to its side chain, so that you can visualize the signal in the Analyzer, comparing it with the pre-EQ and post-EQ spectrums. Also, you can use the SC input to let Pro-Q 3 match its spectrum, using EQ Match. Feeding a signal to a plug-in's side-chain inputs works slightly different in various hosts. This topic describes the procedure for some of the most popular hosts around: Cubase, Logic Pro, Ableton Live and Pro Tools. To explain how it works, we use a scenario with two tracks. The first one contains the audio that we want to process with Pro-Q 3, which we'll call the main track from now. The second track contains the audio that we want to route to Pro-Q 3's external side-chain input. We'll call this track the side chain track. After setting up everything according to the instructions below for your host, you can check whether everything is routed correctly. Play the audio and make sure you've chosen the 'Side Chain' item from the external spectrum list in the Analyzer panel. Confirm that FabFilter Pro-Q 3 shows the side-chain spectrum now.
Thanks.

That's certainly a nice feature, and although other EQ's can do that (IIEQ pro IIRC), it's convenient to have in one plugin, if your goto EQ is Pro-Q like mine is. Still, proper sidechaining would have been an awesome addition.

I am on the demo version and when i reopen any project from yesterday where i used Fabfilter Pro-Q3 NO SETTINGS WHERE SAVED! Every Pro-Q3 was resetted to default. :(
Anybody experience the same? Does this has to do with any demo restrictions?
my Trap beatz:

I just had exactly the same issue! Were you using VST2 or VST3? I've had this issue in the past with VST3 plugins so I changed all the instances to VST2 today and spent a couple of hours redoing all my EQ, but I'm too scared to close the project now haha!

EDIT: Ok no this is occurring with the VST2 version too. I'm using Bitwig. This is with the fully authorized version as well, not the demo version.

Lol!
It´s a known bug to fabfilter as it seems. Still a major one and you wonder how this went unrecognized.

They just released a bugfix
https://www.fabfilter.com/download/#dow ... er-plug-in

Fix for "settings default" when reopening a project.
Works fine for me with Abelton.
Last edited by adl on Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
my Trap beatz:

adl wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:35 am Lol!
It´s a known bug to fabfilter as it seems. Still a major one and you wonder how this went unrecognized.
They just released a bugfix for that:
https://www.fabfilter.com/download/#dow ... er-plug-in
Cheers, will test this version out.

Do upgrade prices change when FabFilter does sales? Or is that just for new purchases?

I’m still on the fence for deciding whether or not my combo of Apqualizr2 and Nova GE satisfy my EQ/Dynamic EQ needs well enough or if I should upgrade to Pro-Q3.

Decisions, decisions ...

Return to “Effects”