Cherry Audio Voltage modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Voltage Modular Core + Electro Drums Voltage Modular Ignite Voltage Modular Nucleus

Thees a brief interviewing this month's Computer Music mag
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:42 am Thees a brief interviewing this month's Computer Music mag
... and a review (8/10)

It’s appreciated that they are listening to customers and made adjustments to their policies. Like including advanced versions of their basic modules in the main package instead of selling them separately. IMO, the main package is well rounded now, and look forward to other inspiring stuff getting added to the store down the line.

There’s a lot of sequencing capability with the base modules you just have to build it yourself, like with the step sequencer, clock divider, etc. I noticed there might be a Euclidean seq in development and it probably wouldn’t be too hard to develop an XY rene style sequencer too.

The new super modules are very nice.
Fm,lin, expo, phase mod, wave fold,phase distortion,and more, in one module.
Some serious wave manipulations can be done.
The envelope have all what I need too !
Thanks Cherry !
Best
YY

Whywhy wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:24 pm The new super modules are very nice.
Fm,lin, expo, phase mod, wave fold,phase distortion,and more, in one module.
Some serious wave manipulations can be done.
The envelope have all what I need too !
Thanks Cherry !
Why don't they announce new releases, they don't have a news page and none of the store sorting options actually work if you just want to see new releases?!
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Haven't been back here since April. What's the general consensus?

wagtunes wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:35 pm Haven't been back here since April. What's the general consensus?
There is no consensus except in one thing: Cherry Audio doesn't know what they are doing, so what's true today may be false tomorrow. Everything is changing... constantly.

Maybe you should come back next year :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:50 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:35 pm Haven't been back here since April. What's the general consensus?
There is no consensus except in one thing: Cherry Audio doesn't know what they are doing, so what's true today may be false tomorrow. Everything is changing... constantly.

Seriously? This thing is that big a train wreck?

Do we all concur? And if so, why? What's been going on with the product?

wagtunes wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:14 pm Seriously? This thing is that big a train wreck?

I'm not talking about the quality. I admit that may be good, but I was out because of the greedy attitude they revealed on several occasions, and by the constant changes in their policy. That's what I meant when I wrote they don't know what they're doing.

Even now, they have a "special offer" that includes some "drum modules" and are asking for $150. :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:23 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:14 pm Seriously? This thing is that big a train wreck?

I'm not talking about the quality. I admit that may be good, but I was out because of the greedy attitude they revealed on several occasions, and by the constant changes in their policy. That's what I meant when I wrote they don't know what they're doing.

Even now, they have a "special offer" that includes some "drum modules" and are asking for $150. :hihi:
Ah okay. I get it. I thought the "special" offer price was ridiculous too, which is why I'm passing on this. Shame because I think there is potential here.

wagtunes wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:14 pm
fmr wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:50 pm

Seriously? This thing is that big a train wreck?

The GUI is really something special, and now with the new modules out we've had a taste of what it can really sound like (really, really good!) As for the bad, the pricing scheme currently doesn't make any sense and you can find other people in the cherry Audio forum saying the same thing. I think that's the biggest one really, I haven't experienced any bugs so far and when I contacted customer support with an installation question they answered politely within the hour.

Everything in the store is about double what I'd consider spending.
I'd really like to buy the new VCF20 filter and the new vult filters but even when buying the vult filters (as a special intro price bundle) VCF20+vult bundle is $100... Which is hard to stomach when you can buy entire synths for that and what your getting can't exist outside the voltage modular ecosystem. So the intial price I paid for the system doubles if I want extra filters (and I do they are very nice filters... But damn. Hard to stomach and rationalize paying $100 for seven virtual filter modules stuck inside a vst.) So I will just watch by the sidelines for the next few weeks and hope they reassess their business model before buying anything past the intro bundle (which I now consider a good value after the new super modules.)

I want them to make money and be successful and I think they'd do better (especially starting out) selling multiple copies of the VCF20 for $10 than currently trying to sell one copy for $20.
Last edited by Nleif on Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

You should try the demo...
No need to buy all, I have bought the Turing machine and the Vult low pass gate filter, and the PSP bundle. It's far more cheaper than softube. Plus, PSP have give to bundle owners 4 new modules, cherry 3.
Just the CV to midi per channel is incredible.
Best
YY

Whywhy wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:50 pm It's far more cheaper than softube.
The PSP and Vult bundles, yes, the Cherry Audio ones, NOT. Additive Oscillator costs $35. A Sixteen Step Sequencer costs $20 (should be there in the Core System). I don't call that cheap.

Sure, they added some good modules to the Core (which, as I wrote in the beginning, was really basic, desperately needing something to justify), yet they ask more than twice the price of Softube Modular Core.

Softube Korgasmatron currently costs $24. Rubicon $34. Braids $34. Clouds $29. And Softube is far from being an example (actually, it's an example of what NOT to do). :hihi:
Whywhy wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:50 pm Just the CV to midi per channel is incredible.
And why is it incredible?
Fernando (FMR)

Send a modular sequencing patch, with some env, lfo, turing machine, sample and hold, analog shift register....to your favorite multi timbral synth or to other vst or hardware, and that, per midi channels.
Best
YY

I have bought Vm at 89€ , thinking...ok, I have 2 weeks for test it and have a refund...
After trying the soft, I immediately see the big potential of Vm, the ui, the latency....
The basic modules was not crazy, but the CV to midi was working nicely and I was able to make some nice tracks with some external multi timbral vst. The formula parser was a big plus too.
After, the PSP bundle was out, Vult, and I clearly see the quality of the engine.
I like softube, solorack and vcv, but Vm is just the best for my need.
I understand, with vcv , a lot of modules are free, but the vst host is not free, same for the futur version 1, a lot of free modules are not so useful( a lot are really great too :)) and I spend more time testing modules than making music and experimentation.
I will make a parallel, perhaps, not the best comparable thing, but I prefer to buy an u-he synth, like zebra or diva than spending time and testing a lot of free vst.
Best
YY

Return to “Instruments”