VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fluffy_little_something wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:15 pm
layzer wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:57 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:19 pm
layzer wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:49 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:11 pm You know what? Let's do that. Let's ask Urs and Richard which sounds better.

Zebra 2 or Dune 2

They'll either

1. Diplomatically skirt the issue

2. Say THEIR synth sounds better

3. Not say anything

You brought them up so come on, let's do it. Let's ask them to pick between Dune 2 and Zebra 2.

This should be interesting.
actually, no synth sounds better than another... they just sound different. its up to your musical skills to really make any synth
sound good. :idea:

its like saying this paint is better than that paint, but really no paint is good if you suck at painting. :scared:
Of course some paint is better than other paint. Like with every other category of products, there is a certain quality spectrum, even if the functions and features are the same.
still doesnt matter if you suck at painting :idea:
But if you are good at painting, better paint might render your paintings even better. Painters have been working on perfecting paints for hundreds of years.
i would wager people would not be able to distinguish between a painting done with the best and shittiest paints painted by the best painter that ever existed.

lol, we could go on and on Fluff.... :lol:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

vurt wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:22 pm purple is the best paint.
Nope, tartan paint looks better :lol:

fluffy_little_something wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:38 pmThen again, sound is just one aspect of a synth. Some synths do sound better than others.
CPU efficiency (mileage :hihi: ) would e another aspect and of course the winners would be different ones.
The thing to understand here, though, as that each of these things have different levels of importance. e.g. If a synth sounds terrible, nobody is going to care about how efficient it is, they won't be interested. That is kind of how I feel about Sylenth 1 - it doesn't sound terrible but neither does it sound better than half-a-dozen other synths that were a lot cheaper and far more versatile, so I passed on it. OTOH, if a synth sounds brilliant, people will be more willing to overlook the fact that it chews through CPU cycles like there's no tomorrow. I made precisely that decision with Korg's ARP Odyssey VSTi.
fluffy_little_something wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:09 pmWhere the basic senses are concerned, I do think the majority decides what is good and what is not.
No, what the majority decides is what's popular and any fool can see that the most popular things are almost never the best things. e.g. Justin Bieber has sold more records than Shirley Bassey but that doesn't mean he is a better singer, does it? Just as the Toyota Corolla isn't the best car, not even in its segment, and the Big Mac is not the best hamburger. This is something many people seem to struggle with, yet is plain to see if you care to look.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Russell Grand wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:31 am Keep enjoying DUNE, my friend. :D
You must have missed the bit where I said I hate DUNE and only use it because I didn't have to pay for it. But that doesn't mean I can't acknowledge how great it sounds.
fluffy_little_something wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:13 pmDo you really think developers program 0df filters for fun or boredom, or because they work hand in hand with Intel, trying to force customers to get the latest and greatest processors?
I don't think so, they do it because those filters sound better.
I would suggest it only applies to those who give their work away for free. Otherwise, I'd say they do what they do because they know it will increase sales. Which is fine, except that we end up with all these ubersynths if we want good sound quality because nobody is going to put all that effort into something simple and easy to use if they can only sell it for $19. Sad but true.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

@BONES: what do you mean she is not beautiful?! :mad:

https://youtu.be/zpaqBXc5MTk

EnGee wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:32 am @BONES: what do you mean she is not beautiful?! :mad:

Well he means she's an UGLY c**t! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:nutter:

EnGee wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:40 am:nutter:
Wanna beer? :lol: :lol: :lol:

BONES wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:14 am You must have missed the bit where I said I hate DUNE and only use it because I didn't have to pay for it.
Indeed I did. :ud:

rob_lee wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:37 am
EnGee wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:32 am @BONES: what do you mean she is not beautiful?! :mad:

Well he means she's an UGLY c**t! :lol: :lol: :lol:
:smack:

Russell Grand wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:05 am :smack:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

:hihi:

rob_lee wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:42 am
EnGee wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:40 am:nutter:
Wanna beer? :lol: :lol: :lol:
No! I'm busy :violin:

layzer wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:54 am
fluffy_little_something wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:15 pm
layzer wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:57 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:19 pm
layzer wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:49 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:11 pm You know what? Let's do that. Let's ask Urs and Richard which sounds better.

Zebra 2 or Dune 2

They'll either

1. Diplomatically skirt the issue

2. Say THEIR synth sounds better

3. Not say anything

You brought them up so come on, let's do it. Let's ask them to pick between Dune 2 and Zebra 2.

This should be interesting.
actually, no synth sounds better than another... they just sound different. its up to your musical skills to really make any synth
sound good. :idea:

its like saying this paint is better than that paint, but really no paint is good if you suck at painting. :scared:
Of course some paint is better than other paint. Like with every other category of products, there is a certain quality spectrum, even if the functions and features are the same.
still doesnt matter if you suck at painting :idea:
But if you are good at painting, better paint might render your paintings even better. Painters have been working on perfecting paints for hundreds of years.
i would wager people would not be able to distinguish between a painting done with the best and shittiest paints painted by the best painter that ever existed.

lol, we could go on and on Fluff.... :lol:

Pretty good wager. IMO.

BONES wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:14 am
Russell Grand wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:31 am Keep enjoying DUNE, my friend. :D
You must have missed the bit where I said I hate DUNE and only use it because I didn't have to pay for it. But that doesn't mean I can't acknowledge how great it sounds.
fluffy_little_something wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:13 pmDo you really think developers program 0df filters for fun or boredom, or because they work hand in hand with Intel, trying to force customers to get the latest and greatest processors?
I don't think so, they do it because those filters sound better.
I would suggest it only applies to those who give their work away for free. Otherwise, I'd say they do what they do because they know it will increase sales. Which is fine, except that we end up with all these ubersynths if we want good sound quality because nobody is going to put all that effort into something simple and easy to use if they can only sell it for $19. Sad but true.
I'm liking Bones more and more. I agree... but it goes further. Listeners are wanting a safe place more often then not. My gen used to get safe with one type of high. This gen is getting off on a whole other honestly.

Return to “Instruments”