What is it about Sylenth1 ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

layzer wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:54 am i would wager people would not be able to distinguish between a painting done with the best and shittiest paints painted by the best painter that ever existed.

lol, we could go on and on Fluff.... :lol:
The masses might not be able to tell the difference, but experts and professionals could.
Just like with synths. My mom surely can't tell the difference. Well, she might actually hear a difference, but she might not be able to interpret it because she doesn't have any synth experience, doesn't know what a quality hardware synth sounds like etc.

BONES wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:14 am
Russell Grand wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:31 am Keep enjoying DUNE, my friend. :D
You must have missed the bit where I said I hate DUNE and only use it because I didn't have to pay for it. But that doesn't mean I can't acknowledge how great it sounds.
fluffy_little_something wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:13 pmDo you really think developers program 0df filters for fun or boredom, or because they work hand in hand with Intel, trying to force customers to get the latest and greatest processors?
I don't think so, they do it because those filters sound better.
I would suggest it only applies to those who give their work away for free. Otherwise, I'd say they do what they do because they know it will increase sales. Which is fine, except that we end up with all these ubersynths if we want good sound quality because nobody is going to put all that effort into something simple and easy to use if they can only sell it for $19. Sad but true.
Sure, both. They do it because it improves the sound quality, which in turn will increase reputation and sales. What's bad about that? Isn't that how the economy works? Trying to increase sales either via quality or price?

The greatest mystery to me is why there was never a Sylenth 2. Or any other plugin from Lennard. FX or simple mono synth etc, etc....

Seems like as popular Sylenth 1 was/is that he would want to follow that success up with another product.

Unless he made so much money from S1 that he's retired on some tropical beach surrounded by half naked native girls. Or he ran out of ideas or time or......?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:23 pm
Unless he made so much money from S1 that he's retired on some tropical beach surrounded by half naked native girls. Or he ran out of ideas or time or......?
toonertik>> real name Lennard
Half naked.. get real... get COMPLETE...
Yes dear, I will have another pina_Collider...Coz I got plenty of time.
:)

@Bones

Sorry, no time for quoting, nor do I want to waste so much space.
So just a few comments on what you wrote in your lengthy replies:

Regarding the importance, that is what many consider a strength of S1, it sounds good (although there surely are a few other synths that sound better, Repro or Monark for instance), good enough for sitting in the mix and doing the job, while using very few resources and enabling comfortable operation (even if you don't think so, most people will disagree with you).

Come on, Bieber is popular not so much because of his music, but because he appeals to girls and young women, who make up the vast majority of his fans.
Also, I explicitly said "where the basic senses are concerned", meaning vision, hearing, touch, smell/taste. Buying a Toyota has very little to do with those senses, it is mostly about money, mileage, and such aspects of reason.
And yes, a Big Mac is tailored around the taste buds of the masses. If MD decided to go green and sell broccoli burgers instead, they would soon be out of business. But MD knows what the vast majority of humans taste buds like, there is actually a certain addiction involved, which is exploited by most fast food companies.

Lamborghini and Ferrari are at the same level, the differences are negligible compared to the rest of the auto world. Which one you get is just a matter of taste, but whatever you buy, you know it is excellent quality and performance, the best of the best.

I can separate what is good from what I like. Being vegan, I eat a lot of things because it is good, while I avoid stuff that I know is not good, but tastes better, like potato chips, pizza, chocolate etc.
But with Sylenth1 that is not the case, I like it AND it is very good in my view.

Dune surely has many features that go beyond S1, no doubt. But what matters most to me is the sound character, and in that respect I prefer S1 for the classic synth sounds I need. I do not make EDM, in which case I might prefer Dune because it has that spacey, modern, cold, FX-dependent sound I don't like.
As you say yourself, you didn't find a sound challenge for me because your Dune patches use features S1 does not have. That is my point, I don't need those features like 8 layers and crazy modulations, while S1's sound quality as such is fine in my view. Not to mention Dune's envelopes which I don't like at all.

I will just reply about NI Massive as it is no wind up (BONES asked if I was joking). Yes sometimes the filters seems a little aged but to be honest there are a few synths released more recently where I like the oscillators but the filter is just "work man like". Regarding the filters you listen carefully and work its sweet spots. I still love Massive a lot. It is another one of those low CPU synths that has the right tone for my taste.. gritty, glassy, punchy and also does bass quite well. It can be Virus-esque at times.

Also very powerful oscillator section where you adjust phases independently. Flexible and powerful modulation parameters.

Love the GUI as well.. the on board effects are a bit weak.

fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:55 pm Dune because it has that spacey, modern, cold, FX-dependent sound I don't like.
You think Dune is "cold" compared to Sylenth ? That is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing you've ever written and that's saying a lot. :lol:

Oh well I've actually owned both for years and know for a fact that you could not possibly be more wrong. All those wonderful retro analog sounds that I've been using and all the hours of enjoyment I've had playing with Dune's wonderfully warm sounds simply prove to me that you haven't a clue what you are talking about or only know how to use presets.

Certainly you have a right to your opinion just as you have the right to be wrong. :wink:

Oh well I love both Sylenth and Dune. They are both great synths with their own character. Owning both is a joy. :tu:

Ok I'm out of this thread. We're stuck in a loop with little hope of resolution....... :wheee:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

The problem is the definition of the words warm and cold. People seem to associate very different, even opposing sound characters with them.
Let me hear a warm Dune pad for instance just so I know what you mean by warm...

Maybe there are not enough smilies to convey emotion or intonation, but some in this thread gets really worked up over a software synth. Maybe there is a larger issue at stake, for example the need to be right in an online forum, but come on...people losing "all credibility" because of an opinion on a software synth. :dog: . Sylenth is a tool and it seems to be doing something right, not everything, but enough to have a use. Dune does something right too. :tu:

fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:30 pm The problem is the definition of the words warm and cold. People seem to associate very different, even opposing sound characters with them.
Let me hear a warm Dune pad for instance just so I know what you mean by warm...
Why don't you do this first. Post what you feel is a warm pad in Sylenth1 and then I'll try to find something comparable in Dune 2.

low_low wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:13 am Sylenth1 is mentioned everywhere, whenever synths come up, what is it about this synth that makes it so highly recommended, it's in like every synth thread on KVR.

its because its name is so close to Synth1. I think it was a deliberate tactic by lennard to name his own synth so closely to the the greatest soft synth of all time. So you see, when people recommend sylenth1, it's just a typo.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:40 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:30 pm The problem is the definition of the words warm and cold. People seem to associate very different, even opposing sound characters with them.
Why don't you do this first. Post what you feel is a warm pad in Sylenth1 and then I'll try to find something comparable in Dune 2.
Everyone seems to have their own idea of warm, to me such sounds are warm, and analog by the way:

https://app.box.com/s/kgh3vxoa03fizpb18u2dzpvs79hfyw0l

https://app.box.com/s/z9o285uphhhwxc644yowzn9vksiqar79

fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:37 pm
Everyone seems to have their own idea of warm, to me such sounds are warm, and analog by the way:

Those two pads sound exactly the same. They're kind of analog brass pads I guess. They certainly do sound nice. So that's it? Anything that doesn't sound like that to you isn't warm? What about strings? What about a non instrument type pad? I mean if this is all that's warm to you then your sound palette is very limited. You will probably like the Arturia Jupiter synth. While I find the sounds dull, you might find them just to your liking.

Anyway, let me see if I can come up with something.

fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:37 pm

It's not as heavily detuned as your pad but it's certainly "warm" by your definition.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/luvmkcnp7hijn ... m.wav?dl=0

I had my eye on the Jupiter, but didn't get it because of the mutilated user interface :?

Sure, I like some string sounds, strings are actually closely related to brass, on a synth that is :hihi: I prefer real strings, though, from my rompler I mean.

Your file doesn't play here. Dropbox never does, maybe it doesn't like me :cry:

Return to “Instruments”