Cherry Audio Voltage modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Voltage Modular Core + Electro Drums Voltage Modular Ignite Voltage Modular Nucleus

bmanic wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:05 pm Also, as I already have Reaktor 6 and U-He ACE this was merely a curiosity for me. There's literally nothing that can't be done also in Reaktor.. one just has to imagine it and build it (easier said than done though!). :)
Imho it's mainly about finding a sweet spot of capabilities vs speed-to-get-results. If what you want to achieve is already possible with a pre-wired synth and you are essentially twenty knob-turns away from your desired result - go with it.
Next level would be modulars like VM, VCV, Tassman etc. and semi-modulars like Bazille, ACE etc. with high level modules and -imho most important - full audio rate modulation capabilities. For me this is less about "casting chaos" but more about the ability to modulate everything with controllers that provide inputs at almost (or literally) audio rate (100 Hz+ to several kHz). (Eigenharp, Morph, Linnstrument, Continuum, Soundplane - you name it). No "control rate parameter slewing" in the way with these audio rate capable modulars!
Reaktor is a little bit of a middle ground. Lots of useful high level modules combined with the capability to go deeper. Haven't worked much with Reaktor yet, but from what I tried for the low level stuff Reaktor was imho less convenient than Max&Co which offer better patching and abstractions.

And for Max, PD etc. I'm a little undecided. It's even further down the rabbit whole. And probably great for prototyping. But wondering whether a text based language with some good libraries isn't easier to get structure into the project, which might initially mean some overhead but could pay off fast when the project is supposed to get big enough. So there is probably a sweet spot area that justifies Max, PD&Co and a threshold above which it might be better to use a text based language.

That's why I like VM and VCV - they provide a nice combination of (according to the distinction above) "level 2" high abstraction modules - and writing own modules in a convenient way with wide-spread text based languages.

Saying "I can do everything" with an open ended programming language (which even Reaktor is at the end) is imho a little bit cheating. Sure, you can build everything that's not there yet. But you also *have* to build everything that's not there and you cannot find a ready to use library or template for (for Reaktor there's fortunately quite a lot in the user library - imho one of it's biggest pros).
But if nobody has already done the work for you then it's like a pile of papers and a pencil. Sure, no need to go to a gallery or buy a book, you can paint all these pictures yourself and write any book you can think of. And if you are a fast painter you might even not need any movies. But... :)
Last edited by NothanUmber on Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bmanic wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:28 pm H.........

I only tested a few of the basic oscillators and various filter modules but those did not convince me at all. This is of course very subjective but there's just something about the overall sound that feels off to me. :shrug:
That's how I felt about it too alas.
rsp
sound sculptist

NothanUmber wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:39 pm Reaktor is a little bit of a middle ground. Lots of useful high level modules combined with the capability to go deeper. Haven't worked much with Reaktor yet, but from what I tried for the low level stuff Reaktor was imho less convenient than Max&Co which offer better patching and abstractions.
Have you tried Reaktor 6 blocks? It's very quick to setup and there are literally hundreds of high quality modules to choose from.

It takes pretty much the same time to wire up a Reaktor patch as it does to wire up any basic modular patch in Voltage modular.. well maybe a few minutes longer. And as I find Reaktor to sound quite a bit better when it comes to audio rate modulation it just doesn't make much sense to get Voltage modular. Besides, if you do really crazy audio rate modulations (like many complex modulation chains in series and those series modulating each other) then you can even do oversampling of the main Reaktor instance (up to 4 times). This yields really good results but will of course absolutely obliterate the CPU. :)
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Didn't really deep-dive into Reaktor 6 yet, just played around a little. Do I understand it right that with event busses Reaktor conceptionally supports poly cables - but as most stuff is not voice-per-channel aware by default you first have to wrap everything accordingly?

If Voltage Modular and VCV will soon offer poly-prepared variants for most modules then I think they have their justified spot in my top 5 list: The hardware metaphor imho helps to give the feeling that what you do is creating a preset for a modular, less creating a new synth in a flow-based programming language.
So for creative let's-see-how-this-sounds patching these seem more inviting to me.
And for creating more involved logics or even DSP the text based approach imho still has it's merrits.

Might be a combination of a psychological effect (considering the hardware metaphor more "inviting for experimentation" even though it's conceptually also just "boxes and wires") and habit (using textual programming languages all day long and being used to related structuring approaches).
Edit: One big thing that Reaktor currently doesn't provide is an SDK. So e.g. native Eigenharp or Morph input modules (that use C++ libraries that talk to the instrument via USB) is probably not in the cards with Reaktor. Interfacing with MIDI or OSC should work though.
Edit2: On first sight also haven't found a full featured, cross plattform compatible USB library for Java (the Windows support of javax.usb seems to be dead) - in VCV (being C++ based) it should work of course.
So a separate standalone program might be needed that first converts to high res MIDI/OSC.
Edit3: usb4java looks nice! It seems to offer libusb support - needs libusb native libraries on the target device though, not sure whether the Virtual Modular shop download approach would be up for that. Most likely should work when manually providing the needed native libs on the class path. Promising...

But Reaktor is certainly a good program that covers a lot of ground. (particularly some awesome physical modelling stuff!)

By the way, notice how quickly Modular is developing. This is the advantage of small companies. They are closer to the people and respond to wishes faster. While other modulars are either not developed or people really need to wait for functions.

I also like the fact that Voltage Modular has no additional activation centers, ilok and has a modest file size.

NothanUmber wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:42 pm Didn't really deep-dive into Reaktor 6 yet, just played around a little. Do I understand it right that with event busses Reaktor conceptionally supports poly cables - but as most stuff is not voice-per-channel aware by default you first have to wrap everything accordingly?

If Voltage Modular and VCV will soon offer poly-prepared variants for most modules then I think they have their justified spot in my top 5 list: The hardware metaphor imho helps to give the feeling that what you do is creating a preset for a modular, less creating a new synth in a flow-based programming language.
So for creative let's-see-how-this-sounds patching these seem more inviting to me.
And for creating more involved logics or even DSP the text based approach imho still has it's merrits.

Might be a combination of a psychological effect (considering the hardware metaphor more "inviting for experimentation" even though it's conceptually also just "boxes and wires") and habit (using textual programming languages all day long and being used to related structuring approaches).
Edit: One big thing that Reaktor currently doesn't provide is an SDK. So e.g. native Eigenharp or Morph input modules (that use C++ libraries that talk to the instrument via USB) is probably not in the cards with Reaktor. Interfacing with MIDI or OSC should work though.
Edit2: On first sight also haven't found a full featured, cross plattform compatible USB library for Java (the Windows support of javax.usb seems to be dead) - in VCV (being C++ based) it should work of course.
So a separate standalone program might be needed that first converts to high res MIDI/OSC.
Edit3: usb4java looks nice! It seems to offer libusb support - needs libusb native libraries on the target device though, not sure whether the Virtual Modular shop download approach would be up for that. Most likely should work when manually providing the needed native libs on the class path. Promising...

But Reaktor is certainly a good program that covers a lot of ground. (particularly some awesome physical modelling stuff!)
Reaktor always supported polyphonic or rather paralllel processing for it's modules , they just need to be set to 'poly '
A module set to poly makes a copy of it's itself ( not seen to the user ) , much like multiple physical filterboards on an poly anal.synth .
The voice info module let's you control these individual voices for further processing etc...

At the end , before going into the ouput these have to be commbined in to a voice combiner module
.Reaktor blocks are just instruments set to 1 voice , that's the current state of blocks , MONOPHONIC processing
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:51 am Reaktor always supported polyphonic or rather paralllel processing for it's modules , they just need to be set to 'poly '
A module set to poly makes a copy of it's itself ( not seen to the user ) , much like multiple physical filterboards on an poly anal.synth .
The voice info module let's you control these individual voices for further processing etc...

At the end , before going into the ouput these have to be commbined in to a voice combiner module
.Reaktor blocks are just instruments set to 1 voice , that's the current state of blocks , MONOPHONIC processing
Cool, didn't know that! So do MIDI modules like "Note in" and "Ch. Aftertouch" send midi events from different midi channels on corresponding Reaktor channels? (So both a "note on" on midi channel 8 and "aftertouch" on midi channel 8 would end up on Reaktor channel 8 )?

Any news on release of 1.1 and personal copy of module designer? :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
Trance, Trance Is Life

hhuang9611 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:37 am Any news on release of 1.1 and personal copy of module designer? :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
There is a teaser for the new polyphonic cable feature:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hcX8cEr8zI
:party:

Hi everyone,

As promised, Voltage 1.1.1 has been released! Head to our updated website (cherryaudio.com) to check it out. New features include:
  • 11 new polyphonic modules added to the Voltage Core package, and polyphonic CV/gate outputs added to the IO panel. Modules can now have polyphonic jacks, and it's really easy for developers to create their own polyphonic modules.
  • Voltage Modular + Misfit Audio Electro Drums now includes *99* modules, with more on the way!
  • Voltage Module Designer now has a Personal License, which is completely free. With a personal license you can build your own modules and publish them for personal use to Voltage Modular.
  • New presets showing off the new polyphonic modules and the new super modules.
We've got lots more cool modules in the works, including more polyphonic modules. It's incredibly easy to build polyphonic patches, and to mix those poly patches back to mono signals for running through effects, global filters, etc. I've always loved big poly glide synth patches, and they're now incredibly easy to create. (Try out the new Alaska preset, for an example.)

As always, please let me know if you have any questions, ideas, etc.!

Thanks,
Dan @ Cherry Audio

@cherryDan
I added module designer earlier to my account, but when I tried to download it, it said "Whoops, looks like something went wrong."
Then when I checked my library, the designer is gone. Probably some website glitch or is there an update going on?
Thanks!
Trance, Trance Is Life

Thanks !
Best
YY

Great news!!! Thanks, Dan!

hhuang9611 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:47 am Then when I checked my library, the designer is gone. Probably some website glitch or is there an update going on?
We've fixed your problem. Sorry, looks like it was just a glitch on our end.

Dan

cherryDan wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:14 pm
hhuang9611 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:47 am Then when I checked my library, the designer is gone. Probably some website glitch or is there an update going on?
We've fixed your problem. Sorry, looks like it was just a glitch on our end.

Dan
No problem! Thank you :tu:
Trance, Trance Is Life

Return to “Instruments”