Applied Acoustic String Studio VS-3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
String Studio VS-2 String Studio VS-3

New version of String Studio! I don’t see any changes in the modelling. But it looks like you can use 2 layers. Interesting. I wonder how the new layer presets will sound. But it doesn’t seem to be a big update.

Nothing on the AAS site!?

I saw it on the JRR Shop site. They are always way ahead of releases.

I’m sick of them insisting that a new preset browser and a limiter qualifies as a fully new version. I assume we can expect ultra analog and chromophone updates for $40 consisting of a new limiter and preset browser.

Is their code proving too difficult for them to actually improve or expand on the modeling of their instruments?

There‘s a bit more:

WHAT’S NEW?
We have streamlined String Studio and brought it to a whole new level—
it will change your perspective on strings.

NEW Factory library
The completely renewed factory library has well over 600 production-ready sounds classified for fast and intuitive exploration.

NEW Sean Divine signature sounds
A collection of 50 inspiring signature presets by producer Sean Divine.

NEW Compressor and equalizer
These new additions are perfect to add punch and definition to your sound, letting you cut through any dense mix or stage.

NEW Limiter
The new output limiter protects your ears and monitors during experimentation with the synth’s parameters while providing a maximum of distortion-free dynamics.

NEW Streamlined interface
Redesigned from the ground up, the new interface now divides String Studio VS-3 into three panels: Play presents shortcuts to the performance and effect parameters including bypass switches for quick edits; Edit lets you tweak and create your sound; while FX supplies equalizer, compressor, multi-effect, and reverb processors for a final sheen.

NEW Bank and program manager

String Studio VS-3’s new manager allows simple and efficient organization, backup, and sharing of your sounds.

NEAT Backward compatible with VS-1 presets

Simply put your String Studio VS-1 exported presets in String Studio VS-3‘s bank folder to convert them.

UPDATED Overhauled effects

Reinvigorated and polished, String Studio VS-3’s multi-effect processor features our best sounding chorus, delay, phaser, flanger, distortion, notch filter, wah-wah, auto-wah, and reverb to date!

NEW Microtonal tunings via Scala scale files

String Studio VS-3 now supports the Scala scale file format for microtonal music making.

NEW Native 64-­bit AU, VST, and AAX plug­-ins

String Studio VS-3 now runs in native 64-bit on Mac OS X and Windows making it compatible with the latest sequencers.

I like AAS stuff, but am not sure I'll be updating or upgrading any of it.
They kind of lost me when they dropped Tassman.
Then an ad said that Objeq Delay would be replacing Tassman in the modelling collection.
I contacted them about it, and they said it didn't replace it, but had to be bought alongside it.
Still, their stuff is different enough that there's no real direct replacement for it.

felis wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:59 am
They kind of lost me when they dropped Tassman.
:pray: oh boy!!! :scared:
"It dreamed itself along"

it's all great stuff.

I hope might receive a free upgrade as i only upgraded to version 2 this afternoon :P
they don't call me good timin' simon for nothing :P

more autocannibalism...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

i wonder if chromaphone 2 will have an extra multiple of partial harmonics for some of its resonators. as it stands, when you try to make really low notes with it, the harmonics abruptly cut off at well below 10 khz.

There were no real changes to the algorithms for ages AFAIK, so I wouldn't hold my breath for it.
While I have a very soft spot for physical modelling and definitely love Chromaphone and to a lesser degree String Studio, adding effects and "improving" the GUI isn't very satisfying in the long run.

AAS would be hard pressed if there were any real competition in the physical modelling realm.

The only thing I'd really like to have outside of further improving and extending the models and abilities would be MPE support for all of them.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Yes, I'm not holding my breath either. I asked them if they would consider adding an extra layer of harmonics and they told me to "just run two of them simultaneously, one an octave higher than the other."

I love String Studio. One of my top synths.

It's great to see an update but at the same time I'm sad to see that despite the claim that the GUI has been "Redesigned from the ground up", it actually hasn't been.

The main part that counts, the 'Synth' page, hasn't been updated. In version 1 the 'Synth' page had all parameters available in one view, one page, but since version 2, the parameters have been separated into sub-pages via these glowing buttons. This is unfortunate, since a complex synth like the String Studio greatly benefits if all parameters can be accessed fast from one page, especially as there is so much inter-play between various modules.

Version 1 had a silly GUI design with those huge grey circles which wasted a lot of space, but at least it had all parameters visible right there, on one page, which really helped when making patches.

A resizable GUI in the style of V1 (but without those huge grey circles) would have been a much better solution, imho.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Having said that, the new addition of mod wheel and channel pressure seems like a great addition! This was a big feature request. So kudos to AAS for making it happen.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

martinjuenke wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:54 am There‘s a bit more:

WHAT’S NEW?
We have streamlined String Studio and brought it to a whole new level—
it will change your perspective on strings.

NEW Factory library
The completely renewed factory library has well over 600 production-ready sounds classified for fast and intuitive exploration.

NEW Sean Divine signature sounds
A collection of 50 inspiring signature presets by producer Sean Divine.

NEW Compressor and equalizer
These new additions are perfect to add punch and definition to your sound, letting you cut through any dense mix or stage.

NEW Limiter
The new output limiter protects your ears and monitors during experimentation with the synth’s parameters while providing a maximum of distortion-free dynamics.

NEW Streamlined interface
Redesigned from the ground up, the new interface now divides String Studio VS-3 into three panels: Play presents shortcuts to the performance and effect parameters including bypass switches for quick edits; Edit lets you tweak and create your sound; while FX supplies equalizer, compressor, multi-effect, and reverb processors for a final sheen.

NEW Bank and program manager

String Studio VS-3’s new manager allows simple and efficient organization, backup, and sharing of your sounds.

NEAT Backward compatible with VS-1 presets

Simply put your String Studio VS-1 exported presets in String Studio VS-3‘s bank folder to convert them.

UPDATED Overhauled effects

Reinvigorated and polished, String Studio VS-3’s multi-effect processor features our best sounding chorus, delay, phaser, flanger, distortion, notch filter, wah-wah, auto-wah, and reverb to date!

NEW Microtonal tunings via Scala scale files

String Studio VS-3 now supports the Scala scale file format for microtonal music making.

NEW Native 64-­bit AU, VST, and AAX plug­-ins

String Studio VS-3 now runs in native 64-bit on Mac OS X and Windows making it compatible with the latest sequencers.
This is the exact list currently on the VS-2 page (except VS-2 has been replaced with VS-3), so I think this is for the last version.

Scroll down here: https://www.applied-acoustics.com/string-studio-vs-2/
Last edited by jsp1979 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”