Applied Acoustic String Studio VS-3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
String Studio VS-2 String Studio VS-3

Yeah, my favourite is and was Chromaphone and I preferred it's original GUI in V1 as well.
Would be interesting what's going on behind the scenes at AAS, these "ornamental" updates make no real sense to me...? :shrug:

Mod Wheel and Channel Pressure in 2018 - hooray :party:
So I guess MPE will have to wait until 2025...? :pray:

"in the year 25 25, if man is still alive..." 8)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

jsp1979 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:23 pm
martinjuenke wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:54 am There‘s a bit more:

WHAT’S NEW?
We have streamlined String Studio and brought it to a whole new level—
it will change your perspective on strings.

NEW Factory library
The completely renewed factory library has well over 600 production-ready sounds classified for fast and intuitive exploration.

NEW Sean Divine signature sounds
A collection of 50 inspiring signature presets by producer Sean Divine.

NEW Compressor and equalizer
These new additions are perfect to add punch and definition to your sound, letting you cut through any dense mix or stage.

NEW Limiter
The new output limiter protects your ears and monitors during experimentation with the synth’s parameters while providing a maximum of distortion-free dynamics.

NEW Streamlined interface
Redesigned from the ground up, the new interface now divides String Studio VS-3 into three panels: Play presents shortcuts to the performance and effect parameters including bypass switches for quick edits; Edit lets you tweak and create your sound; while FX supplies equalizer, compressor, multi-effect, and reverb processors for a final sheen.

NEW Bank and program manager

String Studio VS-3’s new manager allows simple and efficient organization, backup, and sharing of your sounds.

NEAT Backward compatible with VS-1 presets

Simply put your String Studio VS-1 exported presets in String Studio VS-3‘s bank folder to convert them.

UPDATED Overhauled effects

Reinvigorated and polished, String Studio VS-3’s multi-effect processor features our best sounding chorus, delay, phaser, flanger, distortion, notch filter, wah-wah, auto-wah, and reverb to date!

NEW Microtonal tunings via Scala scale files

String Studio VS-3 now supports the Scala scale file format for microtonal music making.

NEW Native 64-­bit AU, VST, and AAX plug­-ins

String Studio VS-3 now runs in native 64-bit on Mac OS X and Windows making it compatible with the latest sequencers.
This is the exact list currently on the VS-2 page (except VS-2 has been replaced with VS-3), so I think this is for the last version.

Scroll down here: https://www.applied-acoustics.com/string-studio-vs-2/
Wow! That's totally misleading by AAS...
What a poor business practice!
Thanks for making that crystal clear.
AAS has become a strange company... :dog:

@martinjuenke

Where did you get that list of features from? If it's from JRR's page, I suspsect JRR Shop is the one that did that as the page there still has some screenshots from VS-2. Let's wait for AAS to put up their page and see what they say about it.

Always liked String Studio from the first version.
This has some nice additions only making it better.

yeah the above list is for version 2

JRR jumping the gun :P

jsp1979 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:49 pm @martinjuenke

Where did you get that list of features from? If it's from JRR's page, I suspsect JRR Shop is the one that did that as the page there still has some screenshots from VS-2. Let's wait for AAS to put up their page and see what they say about it.
From JRR :roll:

looks like there's a sound bank coming as well:
http://www.dontcrack.com/news/2018/12/a ... udio-vs-3/
'and when we got bored, we'd have a world war...'

"With String Theory, Adam Pietruszko takes meticulous advantage of String Studio VS-3′s two-voice multitimbrality and MIDI-controlled sound variations features to deliver rich, complex, and refined sounds"

MPE anyone?

Log into your user account to see upgrade prices too - I could get V3 for $49, or V3 upgrade and String Theory preset pack for $39 .... erm ?!

Not that bad actually for MPE users: I assigned pressure to Mod1 and CC74 to Mod2, set Pitchbend Range to 12 semitones and have StringStudio3 set to "use MPE" in Bitwig Studio 2.4.3 also with +-12 semitones and now can play it expressively at least with one note.
Much better than in used to be with the Roli Seaboard block before.
I could even instrument-layer it in Bitwig and give every layer a separate Midi Channel...

Next step: Full MPE support please in 3.1 :-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

For strings its not bad to have it in an instrument layer. You can model each string a bit different like on real instruments and then play it with channel per row on a LinnStrument...

mcbpete wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:17 pm Log into your user account to see upgrade prices too - I could get V3 for $49, or V3 upgrade and String Theory preset pack for $39 .... erm ?!
Yeah, I saw exactly the same and laughed - what the :dog:

Yea I don't see enough in VS-3 to justify $40, sorry AAS. And that's 50% off the upgrade price even.

I love their stuff, but they need to come out with something new to generate more revenue rather then making these kinds of minor improvements to something that is basically fine already and then trying to get $40 for it. That's my 2 cents, If I was a regular user of this I would probably do it, and granted I will probably upgrade Chromophone no matter what they do, but I rarely use String Studio anyway....
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

Return to “Instruments”