Your thoughts on Geist 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Geist Geist2

plexuss wrote:I have it on my mac too. Would it seem more innocuous if it was called MonkeyInTheMiddle.bundle?

Not sure what it does. Nothing comes up on the google.
Yah probably better than Man-in-the-middle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-in-the-middle_attack

Ah well glad to know it's not just mine. :phew:

Anyhow back to Geist 2
:borg:

It's the guy who bangs the drums inside the plug :ud:
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

V0RT3X wrote:MANINTHEMIDDLE2.BUNDLE??

I just installed Geist2 for my mac after purchasing the upgrade and found this new thing in the following directory.

Macintosh HD>Application Support>FXPansion>ManInTheMiddle
Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 10.45.54 AM.png
It has ManInTheMiddle2.bundle in it.

The name is kind of suspicious.

Anyone know what this is? Do other Mac users have this?

Yes, it’s part of the install. Nothing to worry about. I think it allows for sampling.

:tu:
:borg:

BufoBufo wrote:
mholloway wrote: in short, each note lane is monophonic. [...] every time a new note is triggered (again, per lane) the previous one is cut off.

It's definitely a limitation!
No, it's not. In both Geist1 and Geist2 you can change the Choke mode for every individual layer of every pad. Just select "Not Cut" instead of "Self" and there you are... polyphonic, overlapping sample playback per lane, all you want.
Thanks for this tip.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Yea love geist 2 man. Got everything I want from battery plus some. Big plus? First, no gimmicks. Get shit done w/o all that shiny gui shit in the way. Second, the sampling workflow is a f*ckin dream. MPC MVP of the year all years man.

Armagibbon wrote:Second, the sampling workflow is a f*ckin dream.
+1

Geist made sampling fun for me!

Armagibbon wrote: the sampling workflow is a f*ckin dream. MPC MVP of the year all years man.
+1

Geist 2 offers the quickest, deepest, and most elegant workflow for beat creation I have experienced. It has exceeded my expectations.
“Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself.” -Miles Davis

I've just updated, but seeing one issue already.

Using the latest minor build, pad FX with drop down menus (Maul, etc.) won't switch the type unless the transport is stopped.

Also, when clicking the type, sometimes it won't select the one I choose and I have to choose it again.

Has anyone had this problem? :dog:

Thanks!

Wondering if there is a Geist 3 update in the works, especially since Cypher 2 is out. I don’t own Geist 2, but the videos look interesting. Gotta demo it soon.

The reason I’m asking is because I’ve just tried the Noise iOS app for the first time, after getting a Seaboard Block. The drums on the app are blowing me away with the ease of modulation, just by moving your fingers to get effects and time division changes like triplets on the high hats and such. The app of course is meant to be used with the LightPad Block, but works fine without it. Except maybe for the pads that are not on retrigger, as it’s more comfortable to pound on something other than glass! :lol: The included kits are very cool, and you can have a XY pad on the side just for effects. But I was wondering if Roli/fxpansion might update Geist to include a way to make your own kits of a similar 5D nature, that would work with the LightPad and Noise app. It’s a lot of fun to play, as I prefer to play the drums as opposed to programming a sequencer when possible.

Thoughts?

I bought Geist 2, but I keep going back to Geist 1 - easier interface on the eyes to me - despite Geist2 has some skins - what can I say...

Probably I also don't need the Geist 2 new feature like advanced modulation and so on, in my current workflow at least.

There is a new beta lying around since months, and I know that there were some hanging bugs reported by the community before that beta, 2.1.1.3 IIRC; it would be nice to know if v2.1.1.3 is now reliable enough for serious use...

Geist (V1) latest version has been rock solid here for months.

- Mario

I'd been using Izotope Breaktweaker for a while and loved the idea but was starting to get get frustrated with the interface. After some research I got Geist2. Love it - better than Breaktweaker in almost every way. The only thing I'm not sure it does it those exponential micro repeats, but I bet there's a way to do them too.

Geist has so much power, love all the modulation options and love being able to play the sequences like synced loops on a keyboard. Love the sound of most of the filters and effects.

I have only a couple of issues. Firstly the built-in reverbs are not so great but that's ok you can route the sends to a channel in your daw.

Secondly, while it works great standalone, The BIG ISSUE I have is *STABILITY* running in Ableton Live. In both live 9 and 10 when you hit the end point of a loop in live while Geist2 is feely looping... the whole thing hard crashes to the desktop... EVERY TIME!

I wrote to FXpansion and the said they knew about the issue, offered some suggestions that didn't help and when pressed on a timeline to fix it said they had no idea when it might get fixed. This was an issue with the latest 'stabile' version and the beta they have on their website. It seems like now they have merged with Roli, FXpansion might have forgotten about Geist2.

I'm still debating whether to ask for my money back (it was expensive I didn't want to wait for the yearly sale). I can work without looping in Ableton arrangement view and everything is great. Frankly though it's annoying.

Anyone had this issue and found a solution?

I am new to Geist 2, there are no how-to tutorials, anywhere, and the manual is simply a list of features.
Geist 1, which IS different, had clear video instructions.
I understand the workflow can be easy and intuitive to someone, but the lack of how-to-start-using-it instructions makes its overcomplicated GUI simply annoying.
I spent a lot of money in it, and am unsatisfied. Seems like Fxpansion totally forgot to follow Geist 2 users. :(

matteogk wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:48 pm I am new to Geist 2, there are no how-to tutorials, anywhere, and the manual is simply a list of features.
Geist 1, which IS different, had clear video instructions.
I understand the workflow can be easy and intuitive to someone, but the lack of how-to-start-using-it instructions makes its overcomplicated GUI simply annoying.
I spent a lot of money in it, and am unsatisfied. Seems like Fxpansion totally forgot to follow Geist 2 users. :(
Did you go to FXPansions YouTube channel where there is a whole series of tutorials for Geist 2??

I wonder if FXPansion will end up incorporating synthesis from the now discontinued Tremor into Geist 3.
“Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself.” -Miles Davis

Return to “Instruments”