Applied Acoustic String Studio VS-3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
String Studio VS-2 String Studio VS-3

Hmm. I haven't read a single post by someone who actually tried all the slightly-changed features. Everyone seems to make a decision based on how much 'stuff' they get for $39 or $19.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Go ahead and write one.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

simmo75 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:03 pm Do you own the complete bundle?
I’m just seeing $39 with the new pack... weird
No, but I got all their software. And most preset packs.

Michael L wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:15 am Hmm. I haven't read a single post by someone who actually tried all the slightly-changed features. Everyone seems to make a decision based on how much 'stuff' they get for $39 or $19.
The irony if your post is noted
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Michael L wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:15 am Hmm. I haven't read a single post by someone who actually tried all the slightly-changed features. Everyone seems to make a decision based on how much 'stuff' they get for $39 or $19.
:smack:
thejonsolo wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:39 am $39 with the new sound pack. Worth every penny. Love the new browser
plexuss wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:02 am I've been playing with the demo. Seems good to me. $39 including String Theory, which I dont have, is a fine price.
ians wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:22 pm Just having a play, & this seems like a good update to me. The twin Arps & mods for each synth layer a great bonus
ThomasHelzle wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:24 pm Not that bad actually for MPE users: I assigned pressure to Mod1 and CC74 to Mod2, set Pitchbend Range to 12 semitones and have StringStudio3 set to "use MPE" in Bitwig Studio 2.4.3 also with +-12 semitones and now can play it expressively at least with one note.
Much better than in used to be with the Roli Seaboard block before.
I could even instrument-layer it in Bitwig and give every layer a separate Midi Channel...

Chromaphone 3 - VA3 - EP 5 - GS 3 Delay 2 -----Please

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

Aloysius wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:19 amGo ahead and write one.
The only updated features that affect the sound are the FX and filters (modulation was in String Studio 1, out in v2, now it's back so not really new). I picked a V3 preset (A Soloist Dilemma) and its 'parent' from V2 (Fretless Soloist), turned off the FX and -12 Tuning and listened/scoped it. Same. Then I matched the FX in V3 to the FX in V2 (only slightly different Reverb settings), and listen/scoped it again. They did change the Reverb to give more reflections (I prefer convolution reverb with PM synths --it really works wonders). I'll try some other preset pairs because I am curious to learn what they did, but I wish they did not rename the presets. Regarding the other features, I layer synths in MUX or Patchwork, so that's not a biggie. The way they grey-out the unfocused areas of the UI is good. However, I find the five different browser menus and pages a bit over-categorised. So far, I prefer the simpler layout of V2, but having FX for each layer and the mix is a nice design. I do wish they would update the algos, but that may be expensive R&D.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

:tu:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

$39 is the regular price for a soundpack only.

After initial impressions. I thought the whole layering of two String studio engines etc. was sort of a gimmick but in practice it's really useful. I can see getting much more realistic stings out of it if that's what you're after.

I'll be honest never really liked the sound of their filters or EQ, but it helps to have up to three EQs for refining some sound etc.

^^^ Well that's useful information. I tried layering strings, and layers contribute to realism. I found I need to carefully tweak the gain, tuning (!), pan, and turn down the effects. But, the all-in-one layering helps that workflow. Its also nice that VS-2 and VS-3 can be installed together.
Last edited by Michael L on Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Yes the layering feature should not be under-estimated. The ability to have two different sounds that compliment each other working together is formidable. this is why layer oriented synths in general are so powerful in terms of sound. Sure you can muddle around with other ways to do this but its much more conveient and cohesive to have it built in. :phones:

^^^^^
It makes up IMO for the one thing that always perplexed me about Strings Studio. You could get some pretty decent string plucks and resonant tones out of Absynth mostly because of the multi point envelopes, and SS doesn't have even traditional ADSRs for it's sound sources, just it's filter. Yes you still get a lot of ADSR type
control in the physical modeled sound sources, but the supreme flexibility of Absynth's envelopes would come in handy. You can sort of get that level by adjust the various sound sources in SS3 between the two patches. That's pretty much the first thing I did with it, tweaked a pluck sound with a more resonant pad sound on the other other layer.

Michael L wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:14 am Its also nice that VS-2 and VS-3 can be installed together.
Why would that be useful given that VS-3 is not that different from VS-2 in core features? To me it causes complications, particularly in NI Komplete Kontrol.

Playing it now anyway - I think the 2 layers is a significant improvement. In some patches it makes for adding upper and lower body layers separately, to create a denser sound overall. But it's also useful for patches like sitars where you can have a drone and pluck layer, or a layer that bounces slightly. Does create more realism and body to patches.

Or in the lovely patch - Bio Spheres - I'm getting lost in right now - a pad layer and bell layer - beautiful!

The modulation assignments are also a joy - finally to be able to assign pitch to aftertouch to create bends and real vibrato!

Can't wait for this improvements to be added to Chromaphone (which I am sure they will be - we have been asking for the modulation for years)

Return to “Instruments”