DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

djanthonyw wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:26 pm I don't care if you or anyone thinks I'm being paranoid. The point is that I want the freedom to backup my licenses and install the software I pay for on my computer or future computers without having to beg for authorization resets.
Hmmm I've never had to "beg" for authorization resets for any software. Perhaps you should examine your habits.... :wink:

Ok well it's obvious Dune 3 is not for you then. I doubt the CP scheme will change so you should just move on. Because at this point you are just making yourself seem overly paranoid and that is coming from someone who is highly paranoid about CP schemes......... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

JunSev wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:06 pm
chk071 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:21 pm
JunSev wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:15 pm Wait a minute... can someone explain me how the copy protection of dune 3 works?
Who fuckin' cares?
What a meaningful way to respond to people, ironically from someone that just support copy protection that depends entirely on companies like Ilok/Pace and similars every time possible, and removing the user possibilities to back up their licenses/key independently of companies.

I think that if the entire population were slaves, maybe you will support that too...
I don't support iLok, i support software mechanisms which lock out pirates, and people who steal software. I support healthy companies, which get what they deserve (and that's beneficial for me as a customer in the long run too, because i don't have to pay extra for pissers who steal their stuff). And, if you really were interested in the copy protection, you'd shoot the company an email, instaed of agitating here. Instead, you're doing politics. That's why i asked who fuckin' cares. The only contact partner for your personal issue is the person who wrote the software. I doubt he'd change the code for you though. You're not that important.
Last edited by chk071 on Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dasheesh wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:28 pm
SynthRatings wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:11 pm Some quick test results about CPU usage compared to Dune 2:
- There seems to be a slight optimization regarding simple patches
- Effects, although improved, uses the same amount of CPU as before
- Complex sounds use around 50% more CPU than before. This could be due to the second filter.
- Unison/layering uses A LOT (several hundred %) more CPU than before. Something seems wrong here
^^^You are now running 8 freaking engines with generated wavetables and two filters each, probably in "swarm" mode :)
Yes, and it feels good :D
Of course unison will use more CPU, but consider this:
A maxed out patch in Dune 2 with 8-voice unison uses 2.1 times as much CPU as the same patch with only 1 voice. Not 8 times as much.
A maxed out patch in Dune 3 with 8-voice unison uses 5.2 times as much CPU as the same patch with only 1 voice. Not 8 times as much, but it's getting closer :?
This, to me, indicates that the unison is somehow less efficient. I could be wrong, of course.
I make videos about synths, you can find my channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/synthratings

chk071 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:39 pm
JunSev wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:15 pm Wait a minute... can someone explain me how the copy protection of dune 3 works?
Who fuckin' cares?
What a meaningful way to respond to people, ironically from someone that just support copy protection that depends entirely on companies like Ilok/Pace and similars every time possible, and removing the user possibilities to back up their licenses/key independently of companies.

I think that if the entire population were slaves, maybe you will support that too...
I don't support iLok, i support software mechanisms which lock out pirates, and people who steal software. I support healthy companies, which get what they deserve (and that's beneficial for me as a customer in the long run too, because i don't have to pay extra for pissers who steal their stuff). And, if you really were interested in the copy protection, you'd shoot the company an email, instaed of agitating here. Instead, you're doing politics. That's why i asked who fuckin' cares. The only contact partner for your personal issue is the person who wrote the software. I doubt he'd change the code for you though. You're not that important.
Sure, and that can be done with out C/R, which I have already stated happens with simple serial. U-he is a prime example.
You are currently reading my signature.

Examigan wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:08 am Drag and drop isn't a big deal to me. If you know what you're doing in a mod matrix, then there's no problem.
It's a big deal to me cause drag-n-drop is so much faster

djanthonyw wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:45 pm
Who fuckin' cares?

Sure, and that can be done with out C/R, which I have already stated happens with simple serial. U-he is a prime example.
Only that u-he does not use a simple serial. There's a lot more going on in their copy protection scheme. Get your facts straight.

Anyone else find the Synapse terminology confusing?
Shouldn't it be 520 waves rather than oscillators per note? I mean, the whole synth seems to be a 3-oscillator synth, right? 8)

chk071 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:47 pm
djanthonyw wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:45 pm
Who fuckin' cares?

Only that u-he does not use a simple serial. There's a lot more going on in their copy protection scheme. Get your facts straight.
Actually, it is simple serial. All the user has to do is input the serial number, and it's authorized without the need of being online or phoning home for authorizations.
You are currently reading my signature.

Examigan wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:08 am Drag and drop isn't a big deal to me. If you know what you're doing in a mod matrix, then there's no problem.
That's what they say about connecting cables in modular synths - until your speakers blow up :hihi:

Always the same people destroy threads with copy protection whining. Always the same ones, just check the threads for each popular synth and the same "intellectuals" have same agenda - they are never satisfied with any kind of protection. You know what, you are one out of the million who has a problem, 99% of people have no issue with protection whatsoever, so, basically that means you should adapt and not vice versa. Mods are very generous on this site, if I were on mods positions, someone would get banned easily. Its like they are trolling on purpose.

Is there no screenshot of the GUI anywhere? I only see the "image taken" from the front, but it is hard to see much on it...

fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:55 pm Is there no screenshot of the GUI anywhere? I only see the "image taken" from the front, but it is hard to see much on it...
Just click the image of the 3d render to get the 2d image

I've been a vocal critic of some forms of CP. Of course all of them simply punish the honest because of the actions of the dishonest so in a fantasy world there would be no CP at all. But of course the reality is there are people who will steal and that takes money from the developers and food off the table of their families so obviously something has to be done to protect their hard work.

But of all the CP methods I've encountered the one Dune 3 uses is one of the least offensive. I just don't get the drama especially when I consider the howling that would happen if Synapse decided to make us buy a Dongle to use Dune 3 (that would be me howling the loudest). :lol:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:55 pm Is there no screenshot of the GUI anywhere? I only see the "image taken" from the front, but it is hard to see much on it...
Try the Demo ! Screenshots do it no justice...... :hihi:

chk071 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:47 pmOnly that u-he does not use a simple serial. There's a lot more going on in their copy protection scheme. Get your facts straight.
Like, what? It's a simple serial. We have very strong checks inside which detect tampering with the software, but in the end it's all down to just a serial number. There's no code that phones home or anything.

The biggest issue would be false positives, like, copy protection accidentally going berserk. This has not happened since we switched to the current scheme in 2008.

Return to “Instruments”