DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Pyrotek45 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:18 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:16 pm Here are some reasons why Richard would not want to either sell or give away Dune 1.

1. Too costly to maintain. Code will probably stop working on new computer systems and Richard has no intention of making any updates to it.

2. Lack of sales. Customer service headaches outweigh income.

3. Giving away alienates customers who paid for software. By removing it, it gives the software a sense of exclusivity for those who did buy it. It becomes kind of a collectors item.

And that's just off the top of my head.

But whatever the reason, it's Richard's company and he can do what he wants. I certainly wouldn't want people telling me how to run my company. Most likely I'd ignore them anyway.

You wanted Dune 1? You should have bought it when it was available.
Thats why he should make it open source.
And then the customers who paid for it feel cheated because now, as open source, you can get it for free.

v1o wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:10 pm So in effect you lose your licence if your serial falls into the wrong hands? That sounds illegal.
That depends on the license. If one of it's provisions is that you keep your serial to yourself then losing it to someone else (for whatever reason) would be a license violation and you could lose the right to use the software.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:19 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:16 pm Here are some reasons why Richard would not want to either sell or give away Dune 1.

1. Too costly to maintain. Code will probably stop working on new computer systems and Richard has no intention of making any updates to it.

3. Giving away alienates customers who paid for software. By removing it, it gives the software a sense of exclusivity for those who did buy it. It becomes kind of a collectors item.

But whatever the reason, it's Richard's company and he can do what he wants. I certainly wouldn't want people telling me how to run my company. Most likely I'd ignore them anyway.

And then the customers who paid for it feel cheated because now, as open source, you can get it for free.
Thats a fallacy as i have explained in this thread already. If someone purchased it then that means they bought it because they figured it was worth it. So no loss for them. They got a good deal, paid a price they agreed to. Making it open source doesn't make it any less of a product.

I paid full price for veber audio surge and when it went open source i was super happy. Now the code can be updated and kept alive. I paid for it at the time it was for salw and i thought it was a good price so i dont feel ripped off or anything.

If someone feels cheated because someyhing they have is being sold less or given away then oh well. They paid a price they agreed to at the time. Fair is fair.
Last edited by Pyrotek45 on Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Pyrotek45

Touch The Universe wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:13 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:19 pm Why is drag and drop so important?! Unless of course the source and target lists are like 3 feet long so you have to scroll a lot, or even worse use up and down arrow keys 8)
Why not have have a right click assign to modulation source (or dnd) if it saves time?

1. Because people request it.
2. It caters to sound designers, saving them lots of time at scale, which is good for marketing.
3. It's easier, people like easy.

Answering this question, is kind of like answering the question, "You don't want to be stupid, do you?.
How could you answer that productively? Saying, no, of course not, is a waste of time, inane, and basically doesn't help the persons case who answers it.

Anywho, I love Dune dearly, me glitching like this is a good sign. I'd be surprised if we don't see these features added at some point. I feel strongly about this one feature and will probably make a new thread just about this one feature to gather similar thoughts into one place for Richard to stumble upon hopefully, but will wait a bit until after this initial release. I'm actually wondering if I'm going to far posting this. I need Dune 3 to be a success so I don't want to impede it with untimely complaints, yada, yada. Ok, off to something better to think about or do (until I get bored again).
I don't have any plugin with drag and drop. So, suppose you want to modulate the cutoff with velocity/aftertouch/keytrack, what do you click on to select, drag, and drop that source? 8)
And how do you specify the polarity and amount of the new modulation?
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pyrotek45 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:24 pm ......................
They paid a price they agreed to at the time. Fair is fair.

So why not just buy D3 and support the developer?
How is it possibly fair for you getting it free?
How?

Dune 1 was available for purchase up to yesterday.
On sale too.
If you really wanted it, why did you not just buy it then?
rsp
sound sculptist

Pyrotek45 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:24 pm

Thats a fallacy as i have explained in this thread already. If someone purchased it then that means they bought it because they figured it was worth it. So no loss for them. They got a good deal, paid a price they agreed to. Making it open source doesn't make it any less of a product.

I paid full price for veber audio surge and when it went open source i was super happy. Now the code can be updated and kept alive. I paid for it at the time it was for salw and i thought it was a good price so i dont feel ripped off or anything.

If someone feels cheated because someyhing they have is being sold less or given away then oh well. They paid a pruce they agreed to at the time. Fair is fair.
Well, that's you. Some people may not feel that way. And as a developer, I don't want to take the chance that I'm going to alienate any of my customers by giving away something that I used to sell.

Imagine if one day I decide to get out of the library creation business and give away every library I ever made. How do you think my loyal customers, some who have bought all of my libraries, would feel?

Sorry, you just don't do that. And I'm sure Richard will not be giving Dune 1 away for free or making it open source.

So as Jim Croce used to say, you can spit in the wind all you want. All you're gonna get is a wet face.

dermage wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:14 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:19 pm Why is drag and drop so important?! Unless of course the source and target lists are like 3 feet long so you have to scroll a lot, or even worse use up and down arrow keys 8)
For me some form of "not going to ModMatrix" would do. Rapid does it nice (right clicking), Icarus does it. But first going to Mod Matrix is cumbersome, even more if it's hidden in a tabbed window (and not all the time available)
It's just a much slower workflow, which could easily be optimized.

Nowadays it is (for me at least) not only about sound, but also about good/fast workflow which inspires creativity.

Btw Pyrotek: Why are you not waiting some days, maybe Richard will make it available in one or other way. Why do you have to know NOW at this moment, or is it that you like trolling?
Personally I don't really like drag and drop since it causes a lot of tension in your arm and hand when you have to simultaneously apply pressure to the mouse and move it. Of course doing it every now and then is no problem, but when you work all day with a computer, it adds up. With a mod matrix, all the targets are concentrated in a small list in the same area of the screen so you don't have to move the mouse as much, and you don't have to hold down any buttons.

However I see no reason why they couldn't include both options...
Last edited by AdvancedFollower on Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zvenx wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:27 pm So why not just buy D3 and support the developer?
How?
rsp
Because if dune 1 becomes abandoned then thats just ashame. Its a great synth that should stay alive for years to come. Open source would make sure people can update it as times change.

How is it fair for it to just disappear for no one else to ever use?
~Pyrotek45

Pyrotek45 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:32 pm
zvenx wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:27 pm So why not just buy D3 and support the developer?
How?
rsp
Because if dune 1 becomes abandoned then thats just ashame. Its a great synth that should stay alive for years to come. Open source would make sure people can update it as times change.

The same way that almost everything ever made since the beginning of time has eventually become non existent.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:29 pm

If someone feels cheated because someyhing they have is being sold less or given away then oh well. They paid a pruce they agreed to at the time. Fair is fair.
Well, that's you. Some people may not feel that way. And as a developer, I don't want to take the chance that I'm going to alienate any of my customers by giving away something that I used to sell.

Imagine if one day I decide to get out of the library creation business and give away every library I ever made. How do you think my loyal customers, some who have bought all of my libraries, would feel?

Sorry, you just don't do that. And I'm sure Richard will not be giving Dune 1 away for free or making it open source.

So as Jim Croce used to say, you can spit in the wind all you want. All you're gonna get is a wet face.
Your library and softwares are two completely different things. Software can be updated by the community to future proof it. Not your library. And if one day you decided to close shop, i dont see any reason why you wouldnt want as many people to have your sounds as possible and not give them away.
~Pyrotek45

AdvancedFollower wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:31 pm
dermage wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:14 pm
For me some form of "not going to ModMatrix" would do. Rapid does it nice (right clicking), Icarus does it. But first going to Mod Matrix is cumbersome, even more if it's hidden in a tabbed window (and not all the time available)
It's just a much slower workflow, which could easily be optimized.

Nowadays it is (for me at least) not only about sound, but also about good/fast workflow which inspires creativity.

Btw Pyrotek: Why are you not waiting some days, maybe Richard will make it available in one or other way. Why do you have to know NOW at this moment, or is it that you like trolling?
Personally I don't really like drag and drop since it causes a lot of tension in your arm and hand when you have to simultaneously apply pressure to the mouse and move it. Of course doing it every now and then is no problem, but when you work all day with a computer, it adds up. With a mod matrix, all the targets are concentrated in a small list in the same area of the screen so you don't have to move the mouse as much, and you don't have to hold down any buttons.

However I see no reason why they couldn't include both options...
Mouse elbow :hihi:

Pyrotek45 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:37 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:29 pm

Your library and softwares are two completely different things. Software can be updated by the community to future proof it. Not your library. And if one day you decided to close shop, i dont see any reason why you wouldnt want as many people to have your sounds as possible and not give them away.
Your thinking and mine are worlds apart.

I'm just glad Richard thinks more like me.

How?
rsp

Dune 1 was not abandoned. It was modified, improved, upgraded, and given a new version number: Dune 2. Then the same thing happened again after years of additional hard work, and it was given a new version number of Dune 3 to represent all of that labor. You can purchase a new license or upgrade from your older version if you want the new features. It isn’t a completely new product, and expecting the developer to give away an older iteration, frozen at an arbitrary prior point in time is ludicrous.
Last edited by deastman on Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Hope to see some cool skins for DUNE 3 next time !

wagtunes wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:35 pm
How?
rsp

The same way that almost everything ever made since the beginning of time has eventually become non existent.
Can't argue with that. It's the lifecycle for objects, humans and software alike. :P

Edit: animals too btw.

Return to “Instruments”