DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
Touch The Universe
KVRAF
4423 posts since 2 Oct, 2008

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:56 am

v1o wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:41 am

To be honest if you didn't like the workflow in D2 there is little point in expecting major changes. There are many paying customers who are fans of this workflow and would get riled up if things drastically changed too far. There's a reason why Dune 2 became a hit synth - people like the workflow.
Your kidding right? :dog: Of all the popular synths out there that sound really good, why is dune 2 the only one which has very few soundsets for it? I've heard people complain over a dozen times that d2 doesn't have enough presets. I think its fair to say, to a degree, its clunky workflow impedes some sound designers.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Vortifex
KVRAF
2492 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:58 am

..
Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnX
KVRAF
10357 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:00 am

Touch The Universe wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:56 am
v1o wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:41 am

To be honest if you didn't like the workflow in D2 there is little point in expecting major changes. There are many paying customers who are fans of this workflow and would get riled up if things drastically changed too far. There's a reason why Dune 2 became a hit synth - people like the workflow.
Your kidding right? :dog: Of all the popular synths out there that sound really good, why is dune 2 the only one which has very few soundsets for it? I've heard people complain over a dozen times that d2 doesn't have enough presets. I think its fair to say, to a degree, its clunky workflow impedes some sound designers.

... but not others

User avatar
Stan Navi
KVRian
603 posts since 27 Nov, 2014

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:04 am

I also like sound of Dune, but workflow for me is not intuitive.

User avatar
Ghost Dog
KVRist
450 posts since 2 Jun, 2015 from Belgrade, Serbia

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:06 am

AnX wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:50 am
....

ive got a massive list of stuff for several of his products that got no love, and i moaned like a bitch, got me nowhere.

.....
Ok, now you say you, yourself, moaned like a bitch?! What gives?

Maybe you were just spewing random crap and that kind of behaviour may fit your terminology.

Otherwise, you were making proper suggestions, not "moaning". That's the only way I see it.

Vortifex
KVRAF
2492 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:09 am

..
Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
4769 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:10 am

Some interesting observations
I created two identical patches on dune 2 and three , no effects , no modulation and no osc. spread .both had the square osc+ the OB 12 filter
In the mod matrix I assigned the constant to osc phase init , so that both would start at the exact same time
Recorded dune 2 left , recorded dune 3 right
Inverted right channel ,they didn't cancel each other out .

Upon closer inspection on the waveform , it seems that dune 2 was two samples delayed ..all the rest looked the same
So I alligned them perfectly , again same procedure . no silencing after phase inverting and collapsing
They did both sound identical , so something has changed ..but I gues it's minor
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Stefken
KVRAF
2032 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:12 am

Stefken wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:06 am
AdvancedFollower wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:26 am
tony10000 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:59 am
v1o wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:41 am
Dune 3 has been in development for a very long time I'm sure. Possibly more than a year? If I remember correctly they started after they finished The Legend. A huge amount of effort has gone into this and it is definitely worth every penny.

To be honest if you didn't like the workflow in D2 there is little point in expecting major changes. There are many paying customers who are fans of this workflow and would get riled up if things drastically changed too far. There's a reason why Dune 2 became a hit synth - people like the workflow.
Yep, why mess with success?
Yeah, it's tricky. If you mess too much with the workflow, some of the old fans get upset and refuse to upgrade. If you don't change it, people will complain that there aren't enough changes to justify the upgrade. You could try to keep the old workflow while implementing something new on top, but this might make the plugin a cluttered mess...

Updates will always be incremental by their nature. If you want something completely different, buy a completely different plug-in...
Yes and no. A modern preset browser with tagging and favorites will never upset old fans.
This whining bitch remembers that e.g. U-he made a very big deal about their reworking of the browser.

Sorry, a modern browser is pretty much a standard now. I'm certainly not upset about it. It's hardly that important. But off course I may decide to pass on the update and see what future revisions bring.

I just said that not reworking the browser because it would upset existing users is a false argument.
It is how Photoshop stayed with the same crappy ui (valid argument) but this does not translate to the browser of Dune.
Last edited by Stefken on Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

pepelogu
KVRist
433 posts since 5 Jan, 2004 from In the now

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:19 am

I really like everything about Dune3. The gui is much nicer than D2. The sound is quite stunningly good. Only negative is the steep upgrade price.
"If less is more, just think of how much more, more will be".

User avatar
Touch The Universe
KVRAF
4423 posts since 2 Oct, 2008

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:24 am

Naturally, people are entitled to their opinions. It is valuable information, whether you agree or not. Chastising people for "whining" demeans yourself and is short sighted.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

User avatar
Ghost Dog
KVRist
450 posts since 2 Jun, 2015 from Belgrade, Serbia

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:29 am

The reason why l'm spending my mental energy in this thread, and on soft synth arguments in general, is because I truly believe that people who are developing them are holding back.

Nothing sinister with this remark, but IMHO, only Spire and Sylenth1 are in a class of their own in terms of sound quality (and even they could be improved).

I would like to see DUNE get there.

Again, not a sinister remark. I'm just passionate about software synths (the prospect of using computers to produce sound and music still thrills me like it did 20(+) years ago) and I'm stating my point of view.
Last edited by Ghost Dog on Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Touch The Universe
KVRAF
4423 posts since 2 Oct, 2008

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:29 am

AnX wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:00 am
Touch The Universe wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:56 am
v1o wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:41 am

To be honest if you didn't like the workflow in D2 there is little point in expecting major changes. There are many paying customers who are fans of this workflow and would get riled up if things drastically changed too far. There's a reason why Dune 2 became a hit synth - people like the workflow.
Your kidding right? :dog: Of all the popular synths out there that sound really good, why is dune 2 the only one which has very few soundsets for it? I've heard people complain over a dozen times that d2 doesn't have enough presets. I think its fair to say, to a degree, its clunky workflow impedes some sound designers.

... but not others
I myself have released two. I promise you, if the workflow was better, it'd be more. I put off at least two times making more soundsets because the contrast from going to dune 2 was a pain in the mikta compared to the other synths I was working with (thorn, rapid, hive, etc).
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

User avatar
Teksonik
KVRAF
16471 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:34 am

Vortifex wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:58 am
Yeah, I sold Dune 2 because of the workflow. I just didn't enjoy programming it at all.
Funny, I find it one of the most enjoyable synths to program and I have done hundreds of patches for D2 and several already for D3.

Once you spend a little time with it Dune becomes incredibly intuitive to program and a joy to use.

:shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
20704 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:36 am

Touch The Universe wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:56 am
v1o wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:41 am

To be honest if you didn't like the workflow in D2 there is little point in expecting major changes. There are many paying customers who are fans of this workflow and would get riled up if things drastically changed too far. There's a reason why Dune 2 became a hit synth - people like the workflow.
Your kidding right? :dog: Of all the popular synths out there that sound really good, why is dune 2 the only one which has very few soundsets for it? I've heard people complain over a dozen times that d2 doesn't have enough presets. I think its fair to say, to a degree, its clunky workflow impedes some sound designers.
Hey, better for guys like me. My Dune 2 library is my 10th best selling one of all of them. I'm sure not having a ton of competition helps a lot. So let the clunky workflow impede designers. More sales for me.

(Wags, you're such a mercenary :lol: :lol: :lol: )

User avatar
Teksonik
KVRAF
16471 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:39 am

Ghost Dog wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:29 am

IMHO, only Spire and Sylenth1 are in a class of their own in terms of sound quality (and even they could be improved).

I would like to see DUNE get there.
IMHO opinion DUNE has always been in a class of its own going all the way back to version 1 which is why I bought it in the first place.

Dune has always had a high quality, high definition sound in my opinion so it's always "been there".

I love Sylenth1 as well. I've tried the Spire demo three times and just don't get the love but to each his own. But to put Spire and Sylenth in a higher class of sound quality than Dune is just wrong. :?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Instruments”