Any completely license free samples out there that can be used to make sample packs?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Almost all samples are licensed to allow you to use them when making and selling songs, however usually their license doesn't permit using them to make and sell your own sample packs.

Are there any popular sources around for completely license free samples you can do whatever you want with and sell?

You are obviously taking about multi sampled instruments and not loops right ?

In this case there would of course be no issue.

timnoric wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:32 pm Almost all samples are licensed to allow you to use them when making and selling songs, however usually their license doesn't permit using them to make and sell your own sample packs.

Are there any popular sources around for completely license free samples you can do whatever you want with and sell?
Did I understand you correctly: You want to take instrument-samples, which are free,
and unfree them and then sell them? :?:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Im talking about one-shots. Drum samples, synth shots etc. Would be processed in various ways so might sound a bit different to original files, but still based on the original sample.

Most sample pack companies have a clause saying their samples cannot be used in any way to be resold. So any good sources for completely license free samples?

well my interpretation would be that if you transform them into something original then it's no longer the original sample which you paid for so you can sell it as your own property, otherwise we wouldn't be able to sell any music made from samples
THIS IS MY MUSIC: http://spoti.fi/45P2xls :phones:

Jbravo wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:55 am well my interpretation would be that if you transform them into something original then it's no longer the original sample which you paid for so you can sell it as your own property, otherwise we wouldn't be able to sell any music made from samples
It doesn't work like that. The reason it's forbidden is because a sample pack is a directly competing product against the original samples, while music is a completely separate market. It's usually mentioned explicitly in the EULA.

To OP: you can try freesound.org, but only search for CC0 samples. AFAIK, CC0 allow you to distribute any modifications under your name.

Most of our free stuff is CC-BY, and has been repackaged by Bigcat, I think some's been used in No Budget Orchestra etc. Does require attribution, but hey, if you can take some of the free drum samples, process the wavs and make money off them, go for it. Just mention the source in the documentation.

There's also the free Open Source Drumkit, the University of Iowa stuff (I used their piano to process it and make Scarypiano) and possibly others.

Great idea: take something for free, piss over it, and sell it.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I think a fair amount of stuff at archive.org is completely copyright-free. I.e., old tv adverts, etc.
A well-behaved signature.

Didn't the op say "License Free" not "Free.
BertKoor wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:35 am Great idea: take something for free, piss over it, and sell it.

topaz wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:26 am Didn't the op say "License Free" not "Free.
No, he meant "free" and over that also "license free".
BertKoor wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:35 am Great idea: take something for free, piss over it, and sell it.

Where did he say that ?
enroe wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:21 pm
topaz wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:26 am Didn't the op say "License Free" not "Free.
No, he meant "free" and over that also "license free".

enroe wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:21 pm No, he meant "free" and over that also "license free".
topaz wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:25 pm Where did he say that?
It is the context!

timnoric wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:32 pm Almost all samples are licensed to allow you to use them when making and selling songs, however usually their license doesn't permit using them to make and sell your own sample packs.

Completely license free (pretty much equivalent to 'public domain') is rare. Creative Commons and similar licenses where you can redistribute but not prevent redistribution is far more, erm, common.(*)
Giving stuff away is generally altruistic; giving people stuff but allowing them to circumvent that altruism for their profit is kind of at odds with that.
Hence work in the public domain tends to be work where the original copyright has expired, moreso than work where the author doesnt care about reuse. archive.org is the single large potential source of public domain work I can think of.

(The notion that you can take over the copyright of anyone else's work just by altering it in some way, as claimed earlier in this thread, is complete bullshit. Derived work fits firmly under copyright, exactly on par with as unaltered work. If you sell a derived work without permission, you're in breach of copyright, full stop.)

(* edit : although confusingly CC0 is effectively equivalent to public domain because nothing easy)
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

That's 1 Opinion.
enroe wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:40 pm
enroe wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:21 pm No, he meant "free" and over that also "license free".
topaz wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:25 pm Where did he say that?
It is the context!

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”