DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

2ZrgE wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:49 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:19 pm It baffles me that some people need a youtube showcase video about dune 3 to actually convince them it sounds good ..f**king spoonfed generation
Sad sad sad
And there are people who just don't want to waste their precious time installing demos...right?
Noppes , it's the spoonfed gen. that rather spend their (so called ) precious time watching a showcase video instead of actually playing itself .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

brewt wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:09 am Gotta ask.
I didn’t see it on the new features list, so I would presume it’s a no, but:
Microtuning?
I have downloaded the manual. Not a word about microtuning. Too bad, it will be out of tune in my music. I will by it, when it is implemented.
artie fichelle sounds natural

The new features actually sound really good. I've used DUNE since v1 for bread and butter sounds and sometimes crafted more complicated stuff, but I never felt the raw oscs and filter by themselves really stood out. The new filters (and swarm) actually are damn nice, been playing around with them for a few hours and really liking the sound!

In all fairness, if I listen to whatever audio clips are out there of a synth and don't like what I hear, why would I waste my time downloading the demo?

Without mentioning any names (because I want to avoid all the inevitable "man you're crazy, that's a great synth" comment) I listened to the sound demos of this one synth that was up on the company site and couldn't believe they could release something that sounded so dull and lifeless. If the company itself can't put together a track that doesn't sound like pure crap, what possible reason could I have to waste my time thinking I can do better?

Conversely, if I hear a track on the company's site that absolutely blows me away, the only reason I'd even download the demo is to see if it works in my DAW. Otherwise, I'd probably buy it without having to try it myself.

The synth itself has to sound good for me to even bother with it. If it doesn't, I don't waste my time.

Point is, I can understand people wanting to at least hear what the synth sounds like first.

4damind wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:03 pm
recursive one wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:42 am
4damind wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:35 am "Spire"... hmm. You need only to listen to some of the demo presets in Dune 3 which are using the features of the Unison engine... such layered and evolving sounds cannot be created with Spire.
Yes, they can. Spire's osicllators can be intependently targeted by steppers and/or LFOs. Check out some factory patches where some of the oscillators play a sequence and other play a supproting pad sound as you hold a note.
8 stacked synth and each with their own filter and max 32x unison + global 8x unison with own detune/spread etc. vs 4 oscillators with max 9x Unison? This makes a big difference.
For this layering and stacking of sounds Dune has not so many competitors (also not Spire).
True. Personally, i'd never use such a high number of voices and layers. Tends to mush up the sound.

Anyway.

No no i have a dune 1 licence and yesterday it had the " upgrade to dune 3 for 79 $ " today it is not available anymore in my account i think it was a mistake.

chk071 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:46 pm
4damind wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:35 am "Spire"... hmm. You need only to listen to some of the demo presets in Dune 3 which are using the features of the Unison engine... such layered and evolving sounds cannot be created with Spire.
Yes, they can. Spire's osicllators can be intependently targeted by steppers and/or LFOs. Check out some factory patches where some of the oscillators play a sequence and other play a supproting pad sound as you hold a note.
8 stacked synth and each with their own filter and max 32x unison + global 8x unison with own detune/spread etc. vs 4 oscillators with max 9x Unison? This makes a big difference.
For this layering and stacking of sounds Dune has not so many competitors (also not Spire).
True. Personally, i'd never use such a high number of voices and layers. Tends to mush up the sound.

Anyway.
I also think it's overkill. Less is more.
With a few exceptions, I don't like the factory presets in the demo version. They are just too big and drowned in effects, I would not know what to do with such a mess. They have that typical spacey, sterile EDM touch I don't like.
Maybe they should include more conventional synth sounds as well in the demo version so that potential customers don't get the wrong impression.
I am sure it can do great synth brass and stuff like that, but it's not really worth spending much time on details as one can't save patches made in the demo version. So whether I ultimately buy it or not, my patches would be lost.

fmr wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:12 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:55 am So you own absolutely no software that, if the company went out of business and shut its site down, would stop working.

So that means you own nothing by Waves for starters. Nothing by Arturia. Can't think of any others off the top of my head but there are at least a few.
If a company goes out of business, it's just a mater of time until your software stops working. This is less prone in Windows, due to the backwards compatibility cautions from Microsoft, but in macOS, what it will take is just a couple of OS versions, and you're done. Even if your software has no copy protection AT ALL. It's just a matter of time. I'd say that, ten years after (maybe less, depending on the circumstances), you'll eventually not be able to use that software anymore.

Only solution would be freezing your computer in the status it is when the company goes out. But then, it would work for ANY software, including the copy protected.
That's a pretty inaccurate statement because I still use plugins that have not been updated in over 8 years on OS X.
You are currently reading my signature.

chk071 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:46 pm True. Personally, i'd never use such a high number of voices and layers. Tends to mush up the sound.
Kevin's multilayered Dune sounds/sequences have been used successfully in many productions though. The latest example that comes to mind is JMJ's latest and very good album Equinoxe Infinity, with a sequence straight from World Of Cinematic (possibly other Dune 2 sounds in there too, not sure) :)

So it really depends. If all sounds had to be as simple as possible, quite a few genres wouldn't even exist today - like all supersaw-based EDM, for instance.

Richard
Last edited by Richard_Synapse on Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

What I like to do is, find the "init patch" button/menu option press it and go from there ...

When I'm done with that, I do like to hear the presets, because they reveal the potential and strengths of a particular synth (I can't imagine a dev making a preset/hiring someone to do it, that reveals/puts into the spotlight some weaknes of their synth).

With me, it's not exactly "couldn't care less about the presets" .... but it's not far from it either.

But hey, apparently, these days even JMJ uses presets, so, to each their own I guess. :D

Even with old programs you bought anonymously on a CD (including Windows), you enter an agreement with the software company as soon as you install their software. There are always terms and conditions, for instance that you may not access and manipulate the source code.
Buying a CD might give people the wrong idea that they own the software because the medium is tangible. But they don't, just as little as they own downloaded software. They only buy the right to use somebody else's software under conditions.

Richard_Synapse wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:26 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:46 pm True. Personally, i'd never use such a high number of voices and layers. Tends to mush up the sound.
Kevin's multilayered Dune sounds/sequences have been used successfully in many productions though. The latest example that comes to mind is JMJ's latest and very good album Equinoxe Infinity, with a sequence straight from World Of Cinematic (possibly other Dune 2 sounds in there too, not sure) :)

Richard
Aah! I remember JMJ mentioned also the use of The Legend and Dune for bass sounds in his latest album.

JMJ mentioned other synths as well.

I replied the same way when, in another place, in an "S" type synth thread, someone quoted JMJ as being a big fan of "Spear" (with the implication being that "S" is his favourite/possibly only soft synth).

Nope! AFAIK and as far as I've seen, JMJ mentioned both of the synths, and a couple of other synths too, in no particular order, seemingly without displaying any preference.

Edit:

I think it was written in a booklet of one of his newest CDs.
Last edited by Ghost Dog on Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fluffy_little_something wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:17 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:46 pm

Anyway.
I also think it's overkill. Less is more.
With a few exceptions, I don't like the factory presets in the demo version. They are just too big and drowned in effects, I would not know what to do with such a mess. They have that typical spacey, sterile EDM touch I don't like.
Maybe they should include more conventional synth sounds as well in the demo version so that potential customers don't get the wrong impression.
I am sure it can do great synth brass and stuff like that, but it's not really worth spending much time on details as one can't save patches made in the demo version. So whether I ultimately buy it or not, my patches would be lost.
Imo synths need both bread and butter (if not bread and better) patches, and wow patches (the first who uses one sometimes shakes the coconut tree)

-Most- EDM music doesn't require expressive patches (there are exceptions but it's usually formulaic and synths/sounds are often interchangeable in most tracks). In any case, I'd say that some other music styles demos are welcomed.

I was quite put off by the release of Dune 2 right after I released a soundbank for Dune 1, to find out that presets were not compatible :o . But now that this souvenir is only that, I might be interested by Dune 3, because I found Dune 1 was quite easy and str8forward to programm (minus the preset browser system tbh but I could do with that-) and yes, good audio demos, on YT or aby other media, would definitely help me to get interested in it.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

wagtunes wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:55 am
pdxindy wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:42 am
wagtunes wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:20 am Maybe some of you are too young to remember but not all software is like FLS says. There was a time when you went to the store (yes, you actually got out of your damn house) and bought a piece of software that was on a CD ROM or even (gasp) a floppy disk. And it was yours for as long as you had a computer that would run it.
The software I download today is also mine for as long as I have a computer that runs it.

Nothing has changed...
So you own absolutely no software that, if the company went out of business and shut its site down, would stop working.

So that means you own nothing by Waves for starters. Nothing by Arturia. Can't think of any others off the top of my head but there are at least a few.
I do not own any software that would stop working as soon as a company went out of business.

Return to “Instruments”