Are these weird old Eastern European drums worth sampling?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Now, before you go "yes, of course, everything's worth sampling", consider this isn't a sample these or do nothing question; if I don't sample these, I'd probably do a more detailed version of my double bass next, or maybe some kind of indie guitar such as a Jazzmaster. (I know I said that Secret Agent Guitar sold so well that I'd make the matching bass, but, well, only found one for sale in the past few months, and it's got a badly warped neck, so I'm still looking for that.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7rN0XFxLWE

https://youtu.be/ib_qjrEfc0E

The snare from the first kit already got sampled as the deepest-sounding "normal" snare in Frankensnare (obviously tuned much lower than here), and its floor tom also got a bunch of wrenches and stuff taped to it and sampled there. But as far as sampling these as proper kits, I could do it at a low detail level just as freebies of a few hundred samples, I could sample it in serious detail with thousands of samples and sell the resulting library commercially, or I could just sample some especially interesting bit (the sizzle cymbals, or see if I can really make an acoustic 808 out of that second kick) and move on to sampling something else.

Non-sarcastically, I'd like to say: thanks for the crickets. As a part-time dev with not much time to do this stuff, it's very valuable to me to know what people aren't all that interested in. I'll sample the drums anyway because I figured out a hell of an interesting way to put the two kits together, but it's good to know that weird old Eastern European drums aren't as interesting for their authentic weird old Eastern Europeanness as our weird old guitars. This means I don't have to feel guilty about sampling them with good modern cymbals instead. And if there's one thing life's too short for, it's sampling lousy cymbals.

I love your work so I watched intently but I imagine the casual forum surfer just wanted to see them drums get unleashed on. I did too in all honestly atleast for a measure or too to better judge they're timbre at higher velocities.
Both them drum sets sound crazy tho they sound like they're already sampled and coming out a 12bit but Emu-12p. Accoustic TapeCrush Drums. Thats perfect for the type of hip hop i produce.

they're cool drums and i mean there's a very good chance i'll buy them, but i am still hoping for that perfect weird old polish bass to turn up

sorry for not saying anything, i figured my singleminded fixation on the bass was probably not a good barometer of public opinion and i was going to let other people reply to the thread, but it seems no-one really did.

So, update, then: I still haven't found one of those basses with an unwarped neck, still looking. You're not the only one who wants one, believe me. Even a Mexican teenager who makes Vocaloid music and is one of my beta testers wants samples of one of those basses, because they look cool. I might just pay the extra money for a similar-ish foreign hollowbody bass.

I've sampled some really nice cymbals borrowed from a drummer friend (the ride alone cost more than twice what both these kits, all their hardware and cymbals did put together), the sizzle cymbals here, and a stack made from the East German cymbals and bottom of the Polish hi-hat. On Sunday I also recorded the big Polish kit, with the Estonian kick set up as an extra 22" floor tom. I also did the snare with a tambourine on top of it, and this...

https://twitter.com/karoryfer/status/10 ... 3061621761

And they got hit a lot harder than in the videos... just set that up quickly and didn't want to annoy the neighbors, so the drummer used brushes and kept it light. I sampled brushes, including stirs on both the snare and 18" floor tom, heavy sticks, and I could lie and say "soft mallets" but I actually just took the felt beater out of the kick and used that as a stick. Plenty of htud, which is like thud, but even more so.

What about the rest of a Frankenkit: Frankenkick, Frankentom, Frankenride, Frankenhat....
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Maybe, maybe. Other than kicks and snares, kit pieces aren't usually layered, but kicks are, and I've got some ideas related to hi-hats...

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”