DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Teksonik wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:02 pm
zvenx wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:42 pm A lot of your presets sound complete already, which will work for some producers/composers but not for others.
Kevin's Presets show what Dune 3 can do not what it must do. :wink:

You can take D3 all the way down to a single Voice (Layer) with a single Osc and go from there. It can be the simplest synth in the world but it can also do very complex sounds for those of us who got bored with simple sounds many years ago.

Sure you could take one of Kevin's patches, add a drum track and have a nearly complete song or you could shut the Arps off in that patch and use your own sequence data. :wink:

Anybody who refuses to use any presets made by someone else is simply missing out on musical inspiration and failing to take advantage of other people's skills and talents. I have nothing but pity for them. :?

I love making my own patches but I'll use another person's patch in a heartbeat if I find it musically inspiring. This snobbery that we have to do everything ourselves is ridiculous in my opinion. But that's the difference between musicians and "producers". Musicians know that inspiration can come from others since they have been in what were called "Bands" where several musicians freely exchanged ideas and inspiration.
Presets are great for those who don't want to create patches from scratch. You can also use them as inspirational "placeholders" than can be replaced later. Or not. They are also quick and easy to edit to your liking. Since I create patches, they are also good for deconstruction purposes so I can learn techniques to get more out of a synth from designers who have mastered it. So, I have no complaints at all as far as the factory patches are concerned.

Ok so having some odd behaviour when browsing patches, certain sounds just refuse to play, I know the presets themselves are sound as I double check on another instance, it just seems at some point through browsing it gives up playing every other preset??? Any ideas?

I kid you not. Dune 3 just crashed Cubase while I did nothing more than click the little x on the top right hand corner to close the plugin.

There is definitely a memory leak (or possibly several) in this thing somewhere.

I hope Synapse finds these soon because right now this plugin is extremely buggy and temperamental.

Per license can the owner install on both a desktop and laptop?

fmr wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:17 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:15 pm Would be like cheating if you could sell your upgraded license. :P I don't know any company which allows this.
I think it's common sense. If people could resell an upgraded license, a single license could serve the entire world to get the latest version at upgrade price (theoretically).

bad business

fluffy_little_something wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:54 pm
Dasheesh wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:27 pm @ shandar - bitwig and ableton both have this problem regularly for various vst's for what ever reason, i don't know why, but it's not uncommon.
Noticed something else in my VST folder: almost all other plugins use underscores, but Dune 3 has a space in its dll name. Maybe that's the problem. Can you rename the dll by replacing the space with an underscore?
That was it, thanks! After removing the space it works. That's odd though, because Dune 2 is named with the same scheme "DUNE 2.dll" and it works.

coastsideguitar wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:36 am Per license can the owner install on both a desktop and laptop?
Yes, no problems here.

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Richard, any attractive offers on DUNE 2 licenses (like there is with D1)?

I have added a second demo of Synapse Dune 3 featuring the mod wheel here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOH9sd3TA64

Just caught the news about D3 release.

I guess I'll be buying it, especially as it costs about the same as one Avenger preset pack.

Dune has always been a goto for me because it sounds so different to Avenger, generally much warmer.

I've loved Dune's sound since D1.

The sound means more to me than the features, if that makes sense.

The addition of a ton of new Kevin Schroder presets is also a big plus for me as he's one of the best ears in the business.

Well done Synapse :)
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

INIT_KS wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:23 pm Mike Will Made-It, he used a Dune2 sequence FACTORY patch (SQ Secrect Mission KS) from me in "Black Beatles". 696.478.654 Views on Youtube...omg please never use factory sounds :hihi:

Song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8m9zhNAgKs

and Making of (1:40min) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jp4I9shmrE
No one gives a shit if a musician uses factory presets or not - practically no one except those 'elite' KVR musicians and wanna-be top tier sound designers who build all their patches from scratch. That's an estimated 0,1 percent of all people listening to music. Or fewer. 0,01 maybe?

I use factory presets (modified and unmodified) all the time, I partly base my buying decision on them, no one has ever complained as far as I know, and if I myself spot a factory preset it rather puts a smile on my face, and I wouldn't ever work myself into a rage because I am that genious guy who "builds all his patches from scratch!" :lol:

Shandar wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:33 am
fluffy_little_something wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:54 pm
Dasheesh wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:27 pm @ shandar - bitwig and ableton both have this problem regularly for various vst's for what ever reason, i don't know why, but it's not uncommon.
Noticed something else in my VST folder: almost all other plugins use underscores, but Dune 3 has a space in its dll name. Maybe that's the problem. Can you rename the dll by replacing the space with an underscore?
That was it, thanks! After removing the space it works. That's odd though, because Dune 2 is named with the same scheme "DUNE 2.dll" and it works.
I had the same problem (discussed in an earlier post in this thread). I bet if you rename it back with the space it will still work. It seems like renaming forces Bitwig to reindex. This problem happened on the demo, but when I purchased the full version everything was fine.

Been playing around a bit more with the Dune 3 demo yesterday, and, i must say that it's really growing on me. Especially the new filters are superb, when it comes to resonant behavior. Getting some great atmospheric and pad sounds of this thing. What i've noticed though it that the pivot note for the key tracking for the filters seem to be pretty high, thus prevents the user from using too much envelope amount, when in the middle note range. That's different in other synths. I wonder if there's a specific reason for that.

Im not a Dune user, but i just wanted to say - whilst i hear some of the concerne (mod matrix/GUI/etc etc) honestly, this synth has an incredible sound. The oscillators and filters (some of them new - in my opinion the best ones!) alone make this one of the best synths out there.
Its effects are some of the most sophisticated and high end in any synth.....and for all you long time users it costs very little.
As someone pointed out, it costs little more than an avenger expansion. If i had that upgrade price, it would be a no brainer.
I'm still tempted even at the full price. It really does sound incredible. You have the most accurate emulation of model D filters in a wavetable synth that can do insane unison. Plus you now have effects that contain multiple algos/types PER effect. If you ask me, its an incredible update - even if there are still things you depserately want (many of which i would have to agree with)

Just my 0.02c

Regarding the effects: Sort of a mixed bag. The reverb is excellent. The phaser is meh (i urge you to try the free Phazor plugin against it - much better in my opinion). As is the delay. The Chorus sounded good when i tried it.

So, mostly like on any other synth. :)

Return to “Instruments”