u-he Hive 1.2 - free update - adds wavetables and more

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

Hi all,

Sorry for crossposting this, but people assured me that it would be a good idea to post this here for the people who don't constantly monitor our company forum.

And also, as it's The Week Of The Mighty Wavetable, who am I to let you down? Hence...

"You wanted more waveforms, you got them!"

And while wavetable synthesis has become ubiquitous recently, we have condensed this into an unobtrusive package that oozes quality over featurism. We've expanded Hive's already quite expansive library of factory presets with another 489 presets showcasing the new technology. Just use the new tagged preset browser with the *wavetable* tag. You'll be surprised just how flexible this synth is, and how little effort it takes to get great results. Also note that using oscillator unison, Hive's wavetable engine is exceptionally low on CPU - even though its interpolation algorithms run in realtime for best sonic experience.

A word on concept: Hive has always been about "less is more". Now, with wavetable synthesis, this is no different. We think that great sounding wavetables require a lot more work and attention than "oh, let's whip up some random waveform for this patch". We place the burden of wavetable design on people who enjoy spending hours and days with dedicated tools. That's why there isn't an editor, just the best possible compatibility. Hive is still Hive, but you can benefit from the abundance of wavetables available on the net, and the ones which were designed with Hive's built-in uhm wavetable scripting language.

Btw. it's such a major milestone for us, we'll also be celebrating this update with a little sale in our webstore. I'll be disarmingly honest, this isn't for unselfish reasons. Rather, ever since there was talks about a Hive 2.0 update, sales had dried up a little bit. So the sale will save a little more than the upgrade fee once it's due. There, we said it.

A few impressions of its wavetable synthesis:

Demo Track 1 (by Bjulin)

Demo Track 2 (by Bjulin)

Demo Track 3 (by Gareth Hester)

Demo Track 4 (new!) (by Dario Lupo)

This update is free for all owners of Hive 1.x. - Simply download & install (read IMPORTANT note on the page!)

Download links, further info, user guides... on the reworked & improved Hive website:

https://u-he.com/products/hive/

Enjoy,

- Urs & team

New Features/Improvements:
  • New Preset Browser
  • New Wavetable oscillator
  • New XY Macro Control with auto-assignment
  • New Mod Matrix modifiers (Curve, Quantize, Rectify, Slew Limiter)
  • New Mod Matrix modulation depth cross modulation
  • 489 new factory presets
  • Added MicroTuning support
  • Added VST3 support
  • Pitchbend range now +/−48
  • New user defined MIDI CC sources replace fixed expression and breath modulation
  • Control A/B offset feature added (to use XYs instead of user defined MIDI CC sources)
  • Reveal in Finder/Explorer function available for module presets
  • Plug-in format and OS info displayed in GUI alongside revision number
  • Mouseover shows parameter values in Data Display
  • GUI performance improvements on Windows
  • Init preset can be loaded from Data Display (for Win users: also works via right-click)
  • Increased maximum number of skins from 10 to 20
  • Improved handling of 14bit MIDI CC assignment
  • Added UTF-8 support for user registration
  • Windows installer suggests new default installation location
  • Windows installer now certified
  • MacOS High Sierra / Mojave compatibility
  • Factory presets are tagged now
  • Volume of factory presets now more consistent

Fixed:
  • Fixed unsorted folders and presets when using APFS file system in macOS High Sierra / Mojave
  • Fixed possible crash in Cubase when selecting presets (Mac OS X only)
  • Fixed an issue where long preset names could extend outside the Data Display or Preset Browser window
  • Fixed an issue in sequencer, if 'dynamic velocity' was active, it could produce notes with zero velocity
  • Fixed zipper noises when turning/modulating distortion parameters
  • Fixed an issue where clicks could occur during the first few notes played
  • Fixed an issue where envelope sustain could overshoot and create loud clicks
  • Smoother dry/wet fx parameter modulation
  • Oscillator in flow mode now randomizes phase of first played note
  • Fixed an issue where link button was reactivating itself when switching skins
  • Various small fixes and improvements

Known Issues & Notes:
  • Depending on the used wavetable, some presets might take a short moment to fully load
  • Storing wavetables next to presets will only work in local (factory presets) location for now
  • Mac: if installing AU plugin format, you may need to reboot your Mac after installation (Apple bug)
  • Windows: if running an update installation, please check if the automatic folder selection chooses the correct path; if in doubt, use the manual folder selection option
  • Windows: slight flickering of the browser background when switching presets
  • Tags are now final, so if you were using the latest build (rev. 7485) or the tech preview (7742) to tag your presets, please check and adjust if necessary
Last edited by Urs on Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Also, made a little video to show what the fuss is about with Wavetable interpolation. Also added a test file for anyone to try:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-eZWQ3UJ4c

Test wavetable file (7 frames, 4th harmonic sine wave) in case you don't want to visit Youtube:

https://uhedownloads-heckmannaudiogmb.n ... rmonic.zip

8)

Awesome stuff. I really should buy Hive at some point. For now i will try the demo version. :)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Actually, it is a good idea to post here, instead of just the company forum. If it wasn't for a user comment in another product thread, I would have missed this yesterday :wink:

Indeed this is the "wavetable week" :lol:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:40 pm Indeed this is the "wavetable week" :lol:
If we can just get Icarus 2 out by Wednesday with a big GUI then we can be done :wink:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I LOVE U!!!!!!!!!
this is what i call customer service and awesome synth. will update asap! and this as v1.2 and NO PAID UPGRADE!!!!!!!

RESPECT and full support for u-He! THX
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Urs wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:18 pm [*]New Mod Matrix modifiers (Curve, Quantize, Rectify, Slew Limiter)
[*]Pitchbend range now +/−48
[*]New user defined MIDI CC sources replace fixed expression and breath modulation
It should be specifically mentioned that the new user defined MIDI CC sources allows one to select CC#74 as a source which is important for MPE.

That along with the +/-48 pitchbend and the new Mod Matrix modifiers makes Hive a solid MPE synth.

The new Uhm scripts modulate very well and sound great across a wide octave range. Hive now really lends itself to expressive MPE playing.

Hey Urs whats the cost in real money...ie US? $ ;)

rezoneight wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:12 pm Hey Urs whats the cost in real money...ie US? $ ;)
I have no idea... our store will show you what it is though before it's too late to cancel ;-)

Urs wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:16 pm
rezoneight wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:12 pm Hey Urs whats the cost in real money...ie US? $ ;)
I have no idea... our store will show you what it is though before it's too late to cancel ;-)
its "too late to cancel" as soon as you demo it! :P

I feel like I just got a brand new VSTi for free.
I5-8600K, 16 GB, Presonus Audiobox USB 96, Fl Studio, Reason 11, Studio One 5 Artist.

Congrats Urs, this sounds like a great update for sure. :party:
Last edited by Examigan on Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A bit over 139 as of a minute ago :D

Welp, here I was debating Repro vs Zebra, last thing I need is another contender!

I realize these are all different beasts, and that I really should get all 3 :) Dad needs a new hardware keyboard for live use though....and "the boss" can smell G.A.S. like a bloodhound.

I was just about to download the Pigment demo, when I saw this. This update is very nice indeed. I think I'll skip Pigment for a while.
2020 iMac 27" 10 Core, OS 12.6.6, iConnectAudio2+, iConnectMidi4+, Novation SL MKIII, Push 2, Ableton Live, VCV Rack Pro 2, Bitwig Studio

gruberman wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:58 pm I feel like I just got a brand new VSTi for free.
It feels like a new synth playing it too... the sonic range is just so much bigger! And it sounds better. I know that is not strictly true as the same presets from the previous version will sound the same, but still, it sounds better.

I feel like Hive has now officially joined the u-he family. Each u-he synth has something special about it. Previously with Hive, that was mainly a fast efficient workflow. But now it truly has its own distinction sonically too.

Return to “Instruments”