Arturia 11 December - Pigments Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pigments 5

v1o wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:58 am List of wavetable synths on the market I have tried. How many I have is irrelevant but I have several not many.

Adam Szabo Viper
Initial Sektor
Reveal Spire
Arturia Pigment
Propellerhead Europa
Blamsoft Expanse
Synapse audio Antidote
Air Hive
Native Instruments Massive
Xfer Records Serum
Waldorf Largo
Waldorf PPG Wave 3.V
Waldorf Nave
MuTools MUX Modular
u-he Zebra 2
u-he ZebraHZ
Hybrid 3
Waves Codex
KV331 Audio Synthmaster One
KV331 Audio Synthmaster 2
Sonic Academy ANA 2
Tone2 Icarus
Rob Papen Predator 2
Vengeance Sound VPS Avenger
Parawave Rapid
UVI Falcon
Spectrosonics Omnisphere 2
Dmitry Sches Thorn
Steinberg Halion
PPG Wavemapper 2
PPG Wavegenerator
Synapse Audio Software Dune 3
Vember Audio Surge
Seaweed Audio Fathom Synth
Image-Line Harmor
Tone2 Electra 2

I’ll stay on topic. And stick to Wavetable synths.
Spire is not a wavetable synth.
Don't know Viper, but I don't see any mention about it being a wavetable synth on the site either. Surge is not in the market anymore.
Synapse Audio Antidote is a Rack Extension (doesn't work outside Reason)
Blamsoft Expanse is also a Rack Extension
Predator 2 wavetables only have eight waves. I don't consider this as a truly wavetable synth.
Zebra 2 and Zebra HZ are the same synth, basically (truly, in what concerns wavetable). Anyway, Zebra 2 wavetables only have 16 waves, although it has four methods to create wavetables. But that's not its strongest point or focus (Zebra 3 will change this hopefully).
Synthmaster 2 wavetables are also very limited. Again, Synthmaster 3 will change this, I think.

Getting back to your list, this means at least six less on the market.

But I will add another: Since you mentioned Wolfgang Palm synths, you missed the most pwerful wavetable synth he released: Infinite Pro.

And another, since you entered modulars: VCV Rack (there is a Blamsoft module that is a wavetable oscillator).

But let's put things in a more strict way - of those listed, how many can resynthesize a sample and extract a wavetable from it? How many can load a WAV wavetable (or a WAV file as a wavetable)?

PPG Wave could do that, with Waveterm. Waldorf Wave could do that. Waldorf Microwaves could do that, using an external editor. Of the above list, how many can do that? Your list will be much shorter.

Anyway, if you tried ALL OF THOSE YOU LISTED, kudos to you. You are a very patient and passionate guy. :hihi:

Yet, I don't think the market is saturated. It just offers the users many alternatives (which is good) :shrug:
Last edited by fmr on Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

jens wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:36 am Are you not selling a product that is at least to some degree in direct competition with this one?
Yes, but does this mean I can not express my opinion ?
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

You certainly can do it.

But negative comments like these between competitors (you basically said something along the lines of "that's all you could come up with after all these years?") were once considered a no-no 'round these parts.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

fmr wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:50 pm ..........
Spire is not a wavetable synth.
Say What?
Whilst it doesn't have a wavetable editor (neither does Massive), it sure does wavetabling synthesis.
Why do you consider it not a wavetable synth out of curiosity.
rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

No, it crossfades between two waves. That's not wavetable synthesis in the sense we use it here (dynamic wavetable scanning). It's what's called a "wavetable lookup" synthesizer.
Last edited by fmr on Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

'After all these years' Arturia have 23 VST instruments available, A range of FX, a range of controllers and keyboards, a range of very highly thought of analog keyboards and analog drum machines and modular cases....not bad realy, probably in top 3 most successful companies evert to come from VST development.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:17 pm
jens wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:10 pm You certainly can do it.

But negative comments like these between competitors (you basically said something along the lines of "that's all you could come up with after all these years?") were once considered a no-no 'round these parts.
Yeah, it never reflects well on a company when they bitch about a competitor, unless they've been the victim of clear and significant wrongdoing by said competitor. Not mad, just saying like.
or you better be ready to back it up with "the most amazing thing" we've ever seen...

fmr wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:16 pm No, it crossfades between two waves. That's not wavetable synthesis in the sense we use it here (dynamic wavetable scanning). It's what's called a "wavetable lookup" synthesizer.

Got ya.
Above my pay grade to argue about that :)
rsp
sound sculptist

I think Arturia realy deserve some kudos for 'full featured version including saving for a month' without needing iLok etc I think thats one thing everyone can agree is a nice touch!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

pdxindy wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:21 amHave you tried running it at 96khz? I haven't tried yet to see how that might affect the audio rate modulations.
Nope, I haven't. I honestly don't know if my old-school Firewire interface is going to handle 96kHz very well... but it seems worth a try. :tu:
DavidCarlyon wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:36 amThe included wavetables are my favourite by far of any synth, the wavetable oscillators in general sound fantastic. Dont see the problem with the filters!
I think there's a rule that whenever a new wavetable synth is released, someone has to complain about the filters. :hihi: Although maybe I could strike "wavetable" from that sentence...

If I decide to get Pigments it's honestly not going to be for its wavetable capability, but for the modulation. I will be converting some of its better wavetables for use in my E370 though ;) I feel like they made some odd decisions with some of the wavetables, but there are some good ones among them.
Ed A. wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:11 amIt has this generic Arturia quality to it that sounds like all their other software.
It sounds nothing at all like Buchla Easel V. I don't think it sounds like their Synclavier or Solina stuff either.

foosnark wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:31 pm
Ed A. wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:11 amIt has this generic Arturia quality to it that sounds like all their other software.
It sounds nothing at all like Buchla Easel V. I don't think it sounds like their Synclavier or Solina stuff either.
:lol: :tu:
Fernando (FMR)

Yeah, it never reflects well on a company when they bitch about a competitor, unless they've been the victim of clear and significant wrongdoing by said competitor. Not mad, just saying like.
Particularly when said company essentially used Hive's GUI for their other synth.

Air Hive! :lol:

Someone earlier mentioned Pigment not sounding any better than cheap Air synths. It's a crazy thing that people actually value a synth purely on its cost? To me Loom is in my top tens of synths, doesn't matter what the costs are, just the uniqueness of the synthesis etc.

I'm going to pick this up. I wouldn't call it a Wavetable synth or west coast synthesis etc. but it's a good combo of the two with great sounding filters. I'm getting things I like out of it really quickly.

The presets for the most part suck. Everything sounds weak. I get why people are talking mad sh*t, especially if they didn't bother to dive in and start tweaking, if they did then we live on different planets.

Personally I take note of developers that talk crap about other companies products on here, it 100% makes me less likely to buy from them. If it's a well thought out review because they're a true fan of electronic music tools etc. no problem, but if it's just a one line dig, then I'm going to think twice about buying from them.

vurt wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:21 pm

or you better be ready to back it up with "the most amazing thing" we've ever seen...
I prefer "the most amazing sound you (n)ever heard before"... - ah, but they all do that in words... - but rarely in sound... :-(

Return to “Instruments”