Dune 3 or Arturia Pigments?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3 Pigments 5 Universal - Dune 3 Presets

Pigments sound organic but cold and definitely digital. Same refers to other Arturia synths, even so called analog emulations. I didn't experience fatness using Arturia synths.

Roman Wisniak wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:52 am The sound is most important, right? If so Dune 3 is a definite winner here (also if there would be third contender - Rapid).
I don't know what is wrong with Arturia but their every synth sound the same. Usually they deliver thousands of presets but everyone is the same. There're rather not poor filters because those as a plugins sound good. Maybe osc algorithms?
The sound is important but subjective to the listener (even witout the mix); I have no problem at all getting fat warm sounds from Pigment (or many of the other Arturia VST's like SEM). I have Dune 2 but wont be updating to 3 because for me Pigment and it is far easier to work with and generally 'more interesting' to me in terms of what can be produced with the sequencer/modulators and VA/WT mix. To be honest if I realy want the analogue sound I tend to go for analogue hardware now (it got so cheap!)

That said, I am not selling Dune 2, I like the sound a lot, just not so much the GUI, workflow layout etc. Interestingly Rapid was one of the very few VST's I demoed that I realy didn't like!...be a dull world if we all like the same stuff!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Dune has already a big user base, and more fans and available sounds than Pigments, wich is brand new. At the moment, it's quite difficult to compare them, especially in a place like Kvr. Over time, I'm confident that more diversity and sound examples will add to both of these synth's perception.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Prime Rib or Filet Mignon ? Which one ? I can't decide for myself........ :cry:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

hotdogs!

Teksonik wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:16 pm Prime Rib or Filet Mignon ? Which one ? I can't decide for myself........ :cry:
Is there a demo? :D
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:42 pm
Teksonik wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:16 pm Prime Rib or Filet Mignon ? Which one ? I can't decide for myself........ :cry:
Is there a demo? :D
No. :cry: The restaurant is run by Spectrasonics.... :P
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

stuff one inside the other, like a turducken.

vurt wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:31 pm
stuff one inside the other, like a turducken.
Hmmm I think you're on to something there. Filet Mignon wrapped in bacon, stuffed inside a slab of Prime Rib with Au Jus and Horseradish sauce. With a quadruple bypass for dessert...... :hyper:

mmmmmm

Lotuzia wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:43 pm Dune has already a big user base, and more fans and available sounds than Pigments, wich is brand new. At the moment, it's quite difficult to compare them, especially in a place like Kvr. Over time, I'm confident that more diversity and sound examples will add to both of these synth's perception.
Not sure. I personally much prefer Dune 3 but i already see tons of videos and people saying how nice Pigments is while Dune 3 is still under the radar.
I think both are excellent synths and coexist nicely.

Both had been published close enough. The main Dune 3 thread has already 58 pages, the Pigment is on 27 within a couple of days. Both seem to attract enough to be rated high! Dune 3 has its first update released. I bet with Arturia it would last longer...
Both missed MPE though...
I expect Dune to implement it earlier, but they compete so that might push hopefully both. I'll demo the first who supports it...

Both are my current favorites, can't choose between the two. I can happily make an album using just both synths and the PulseCode drum machine. They have a different basic character which complement each other. One is easier to get that big, warm and smooth sound, while the other have a more natural, humble and relaxing character. Different workflow and concept as well. But Dune has grown into a very mature synth since V1, I'm eager to see the development of Pigments. Arturia is known as a very consistent company in upgrading their instruments for becoming better and better.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

crystalmsc wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:57 am Arturia is known as a very consistent company in upgrading their instruments for becoming better and better.
This

Dune is superb, but he update from 2 cost more than buying Pigments for me so will have to wait until they add a bit more. I am glad Dune 3 exists and I am sure I will upgrade at some point, just new stuff overload at the moment!

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:50 pm Both had been published close enough. The main Dune 3 thread has already 58 pages, the Pigment is on 27 within a couple of days. Both seem to attract enough to be rated high! Dune 3 has its first update released. I bet with Arturia it would last longer...
Both missed MPE though...
I expect Dune to implement it earlier, but they compete so that might push hopefully both. I'll demo the first who supports it...
Having Hive 1.2 released at the same time reduced my interest in either of these synths. Pigments is still in the running as I find the GUI comfortable to work in. Dune 3 is out even though I like it sonically.

Return to “Instruments”