u-he Hive 1.2 - free update - adds wavetables and more

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

This is a great update! Much appreciated! Ive been playing with this the last few evenings and found some great new presets. Really dig some of the new pads that has a lot of shimmer and life to them. :tu:

Absolutely LOVE this update!! Such an elegant implementation and it adds another level to the diversity of this wonderful synth! :)

Great update - as always!

Hive 1.2 or Viper?

I know they're not the same, but I want to get either of them - ideally both, eventually - but I don't know which. Viper is intriguing, because it's an emulation of Virus, but the presets didn't really convinced me: they were to 'euphoric trance' for my taste. Hive on the other hand sounded gorgeous - like all U-He synths (I've Zebra2, Bazille and RePro) - but for some reason I don't really like the GUI, which is important factor for me :(

What would you do?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:44 pm Viper is intriguing, because it's an emulation of Virus, but the presets didn't really convinced me: they were to 'euphoric trance' for my taste.
Check factory bank 3 ;)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

antic604 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:44 pm Hive 1.2 or Viper?

I know they're not the same, but I want to get either of them - ideally both, eventually - but I don't know which. Viper is intriguing, because it's an emulation of Virus, but the presets didn't really convinced me: they were to 'euphoric trance' for my taste. Hive on the other hand sounded gorgeous - like all U-He synths (I've Zebra2, Bazille and RePro) - but for some reason I don't really like the GUI, which is important factor for me :(

What would you do?
Start a new thread with that question?

recursive one wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:50 pm
antic604 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:44 pm Viper is intriguing, because it's an emulation of Virus, but the presets didn't really convinced me: they were to 'euphoric trance' for my taste.
Check factory bank 3 ;)
For Viper you mean? On it :)
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:54 pm
recursive one wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:50 pm
Check factory bank 3 ;)
For Viper you mean?
Yes
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

martinjuenke wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:51 pm

What would you do?
There's too many X vs Y threads lately :)
What's your recommendation, if I may ask? :)
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:54 pm
martinjuenke wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:51 pm

What would you do?
There's too many X vs Y threads lately :)
What's your recommendation, if I may ask? :)
I‘m biased as a U-He fanboi...
But the 1.2 Hive is a power tool. Even evolving dirty drones are possible with it...

antic604 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:44 pm What would you do?
I'd consult my ears. :D

I can see how it is a hard decision though. Feature wise, Hive wins by a mile. Sound wise, i slightly prefer Viper. The reason i didn't get it yet is that i have a synth with a similar sound (Spire), which sounds even better to me than Viper, and, the feature set of Viper is pretty mediocre (i already own a lot of synths which can do more), so, tough call. Hive has really got a great update with the wavetable capability, and seems like the more "future proof" synth.
Last edited by chk071 on Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My choice would be Hive!
There's so many reasons to get it, one for me is the new UHM wavetable scripts are an incredibly powerful and unique feature - even if you don't fancy learning how to write them yourself, you can use the ones other people write!

The UI isn't an issue for me - I quite like the orange skin because it's more readable. However I wanted to let you know that U-he has been working on re-designing the UI for quite a while, these were some earlier previews of possible directions:
viewtopic.php?p=6927172#p6927172

Urs mentioned that Hive 2 would include the UI redesign (amongst other improvments), and it would be a paid upgrade (€20 was mentioned on FB). Which I think is fair for the extra work - and that upgrade cost is offset by the discount!

Hive has something like 3200+ presets now, with 500-ish with wavetables!

What would you do?
Get Hive now and Viper later, when Adam adds the Virus wavetables. :idea:

What would you do?
I'd get Hive. I like the sound better. I like the sonic diversity better. I like the browser better. I like the u-he support and future development better. I like the MPE capability. I like the workflow better. I like that u-he synth presets show up in Bitwig (with the new browser tags being visible in Bitwig also in the works)

As for the GUI appearance, Hive is my least favorite of the u-he synths. Too much eye candy for me. However, Plugmon is working on a GUI for it. Plugmon GUI's of other u-he synths completely redo/rearrange stuff (smartly so), not just some color changes. Also u-he is working on a new GUI for it as well...

Still, visual appearance aside, using Hive is great. Drag-n-drop modulation, most every parameter can be modulated including FX and other mod slot amounts, modulation modifiers, copy paste between modules, module presets and more. Hive is very fast and fun to design sounds in.

Thanks guys! 5 vs. 1 for Hive? Wasn't expecting that!

But I just tried Dune3 (which I can update to from v2) and my God, it sounds A.W.E.S.O.M.E!!! :o

Tough choice...
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Instruments”