Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT

EDIT
The PR has been merged in, and there are functional macOS 64bit VST2/VST3/AudioUnit and VST2,VST3 Windows. VST2/VST3 for Linux is missing though, lots of discussion at https://github.com/kurasu/surge/issues/19 about trying to get the linux working.
Last edited by esaruoho on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

What's a PR?

Just looked, couldn't find it

aMUSEd wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:47 pm What's a PR?
"Pull Request". If someone makes changes on their own branch of code, they can create a Pull Request which means "please integrate the changes I made on my branch into your branch".

EDIT: PR has been merged in so no use linking to it anymore
Last edited by esaruoho on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

esaruoho wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:19 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:47 pm What's a PR?

Just looked, couldn't find it
Here it is.
https://github.com/kurasu/surge/pull/69
Thankyou but what do I do with this? I can't see an actual AU to download (but then I always find Github a nightmare to make sense of)

aMUSEd wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:32 pm Thankyou but what do I do with this? I can't see an actual AU to download (but then I always find Github a nightmare to make sense of)
Pull Requests are usually only about the source code. The binaries and possible installers need to be built and posted online separately. Which may or may not happen by the original repo owner. I guess the AU version is at such an early stage it isn't worth it distributing ready to use binaries publicly yet.

Hi, I followed the instructions in the PR, and in the README.md, and was able to bake a 64-bit macOS AudioUnit of Surge. I'm running it right now with Logic Pro X. For some reason, Renoise doesn't show it. I need to get home and check it out with Ableton Live - but I'm glad it boots up with Logic - so at least it is a semi-working AudioUnit.

Would be good if someone could step in and assist in getting VST2/VST3 baked for Linux + Windows, too.
Anyone?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aMUSEd wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:32 pm Thankyou but what do I do with this? I can't see an actual AU to download (but then I always find Github a nightmare to make sense of)
Well, if you know how to:
- Clone a GitHub Repo
- Get the submodules for the GitHub Repo (this is stated in the README.md documentation on the repo)
- Change to the Forked branch that this guy Baconpaul knocked up
- run ./build-osx.sh
- Launch Xcode
- Navigate to the Surge project
- Validate the SurgeAU project (Xcode will tell you how to do it when you press Build)
- Run Clean with Xcode
- Run Build with Xcode
- close Xcode
- go back to the terminal
- Run ./installer-local-au.sh
- And then follow README.md to wipe your AudioUnit cache

-- you'll have a Surge.component on your computer, which at least Logic Pro X is capable of loading. Renoise, so far, doesn't seem to want to load it. Not sure why. I don't know how Ableton Live will eat it, hopefully it'll work.

If you don't feel like doing that, I guess you gotta wait till someone sends you a .component... Or you shoot in your email address and someone sorts you out.

The Pull Request (PR) was linked here for the pure purpose of informing people that there's progress, there is a 64-bit macOS AudioUnit build of Surge, and that maybe someone would assist in making this compile for other operating systems, too. Ya know?

Xenakios wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:21 pm I guess the AU version is at such an early stage it isn't worth it distributing ready to use binaries publicly yet.
Tell me more about stages worth distributing, I'd like to know more. If a plugin runs and loads patches and retains settings within a Logic Pro X Song when reloaded, what kind of hurdles should it jump so that it's "worth it"?

esaruoho wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:47 pm
Well, if you know how to:
- Clone a GitHub Repo
- Get the submodules for the GitHub Repo (this is stated in the README.md documentation on the repo)
- Change to the Forked branch that this guy Baconpaul knocked up
- run ./build-osx.sh
- Launch Xcode
- Navigate to the Surge project
- Validate the SurgeAU project (Xcode will tell you how to do it when you press Build)
- Run Clean with Xcode
- Run Build with Xcode
- close Xcode
- go back to the terminal
- Run ./installer-local-au.sh
- And then follow README.md to wipe your AudioUnit cache

-- you'll have a Surge.component on your computer
haha - just that? :lol:

Guess I can wait some more, thanks

Greetings,

I'll get back on the Linux build asap. We're just settling into a new place, after another few days I can start looking into resolving the load error. Yes, I've already built it for Linux but it won't load into any DAW here (Ardour, Bitwig, Qtractor). I may already have a clue to the resolution, if I'm right it should be a simple fix. Wish me luck. :)

Best,

dp

StudioDave wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:54 pm Greetings,

I'll get back on the Linux build asap. We're just settling into a new place, after another few days I can start looking into resolving the load error. Yes, I've already built it for Linux but it won't load into any DAW here (Ardour, Bitwig, Qtractor). I may already have a clue to the resolution, if I'm right it should be a simple fix. Wish me luck. :)
Good luck!
Did you check out https://github.com/tracktion/pluginval ? It seems to be a cross-platform plugin testing and validation tool. Hoping that would say more.

Also, here's a new-ish PR https://github.com/kurasu/surge/pull/70, that, when you check it out, you'll get as far as this guy that left a ticket about Linux VST2 building did (his ticket is at https://github.com/kurasu/surge/issues/71).

Hope this helps!

noizebox wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:25 am Very cool and thanks for sharing. Have been skimming through the codebase for the past half hour or so.
Did you find anything interesting? Were you able to get it to compile?

esaruoho wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:01 pm
StudioDave wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:54 pm Greetings,

I'll get back on the Linux build asap...
Good luck!
Thanks, I'll need it. :) Thanks also for the links, it looks like there's been some progress with the load issue. When I'm back on my main box I'll update the sources and build again. I'll assume issues should be reported on github.
Hope this helps!
I hope so too. I'd love to have a native Linux version of Surge. :)

Best,

dp

StudioDave wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:11 pm I'll assume issues should be reported on github.
Yeah, I think the most important thing is to be vocal on the GitHub and post issues and what you tried and whatever. Keep the discussion going. Someone might have a solution to some issue that someone is having, and all that.

Fingers crossed now.

I'm gonna go home and try and see if I could get further with VST2 building. I don't know anything about plugin development, but someone threw a vst2.4sdk file my way so am hoping to see if any of these Pull Requests that have been merged into the codebase as of recently, might have changed any of the macOS VST2 issues in any way.

There's one more person I really want to contact, it was kmatheussen.. he did something related to linux to Surge, but while he worked on something more in his own fork, it wasn't merged in, or something..

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”