StiX : MultiSynthesis Drum Machine (v1.6 Released + Flash sales)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
StiX

Unqlenol wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:45 am Is there any way to break out of the global nature of the envelopes? If 'yes', a practical example would be appreciated.

To elaborate: I would love to be able to set up different amp or filter envelope values per oscillator. Pitch too, but pitch envelope depth is already available per oscillator so pitch worries me less.

The above would allow me to, for example, set up a waveform osc with longer amp env for 'body' and a short snappy amp env on a sample for attack ... or vice versa of course.

Is this doable?
It's doable, within certain limits.

To control individual oscillators volume (analog/noice/sample), you should select Osc Level as destination in the macro mod matrix, and a source like one of the LFOs, or any of the three enveloppes to control it (Also it might help to set the initial level to zero to have full control). Keep in mind though that the controlled OSC volume will still go after that in the global VCA enveloppe, so it's better to set this one to the longer time.

Filter : There's only one filter, so the VCF eg will apply to the filter.( though you can modulate it's segments in the matrix with any source)

However, in the future, we have plans to add a 'one shot' mode on the two Lfos, and therefore they will be available to control the volume of single oscillators without the sacrifice of one of the 3 enveloppes.(and also to mod the different enveloppe curves, whatever destinations they apply to)

last thing : If you have a short sample, it will be remain short even if the amp EV is long. So, depending on your sample pool, this option is open.

There are other plans specific for the sample oscillator that will help you perform various tasks, including in the direction you mention, but I'll detail it later.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Lotuzia wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:28 pm
Unqlenol wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:45 am Is there any way to break out of the global nature of the envelopes? If 'yes', a practical example would be appreciated.

To elaborate: I would love to be able to set up different amp or filter envelope values per oscillator. Pitch too, but pitch envelope depth is already available per oscillator so pitch worries me less.

The above would allow me to, for example, set up a waveform osc with longer amp env for 'body' and a short snappy amp env on a sample for attack ... or vice versa of course.

Is this doable?

To control individual oscillators volume (analog/noice/sample), you should select Osc Level as destination in the macro mod matrix, and a source like one of the LFOs, or any of the three enveloppes to control it (Also it might help to set the initial level to zero to have full control). Keep in mind though that the controlled OSC volume will still go after that in the global VCA enveloppe, so it's better to set this one to the longer time.

Filter : There's only one filter, so the VCF eg will apply to the filter.( though you can modulate it's segments in the matrix with any source)

However, in the future, we have plans to add a 'one shot' mode on the two Lfos, and therefore they will be available to control the volume of single oscillators without the sacrifice of one of the 3 enveloppes.(and also to mod the different enveloppe curves, whatever destinations they apply to)

last thing : If you have a short sample, it will be remain short even if the amp EV is long. So, depending on your sample pool, this option is open.

There are other plans specific for the sample oscillator that will help you perform various tasks, including in the direction you mention, but I'll detail it later.
Thank you very much for going into all of this. The future of Stix sounds mighty exciting.

I never thought about there only being one filter - of course. And Lfo's to Osc level should do most of the trick.

I doubt I will batch edit samples just to get attacks out of them, but I appreciate the notion.

You have made me think of another FR (presumably already requested somewhere in this thread): I'd dig to have another noise Osc so that I can mix noise with a sample...

Unqlenol wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:52 pm
Lotuzia wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:28 pm

Is this doable?

Thank you very much for going into all of this. The future of Stix sounds mighty exciting.

I never thought about there only being one filter - of course. And Lfo's to Osc level should do most of the trick.

I doubt I will batch edit samples just to get attacks out of them, but I appreciate the notion.

You have made me think of another FR (presumably already requested somewhere in this thread): I'd dig to have another noise Osc so that I can mix noise with a sample...
Multiple and Different noise flavors were possible from the very beginning, besides the noise oscillator, using a little trick : Oscillator FM.

So to get Osc 2 for example make 'noise' ,while Osc 3 is also set to noise, just modulate Osc 2 by itself in the matrix modulation with HIGH amount. Not only it will get you 'noise' for Osc 2, but also different flavors of noise, and more over, if, for example, you use Osc 1 to modulate Osc 2 + Osc 2 to modulate Osc 1 (at certain settings) + other things modulation these VCO, you can get some fairly sophisticated (or violent) noises.

This is for now. Then, like I said, there are other plans to have still other ways to make interesting noises in the future.

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Thanks for the info on using LFOs at high rates for noise, FM etc...it's been wonderful to explore!

I was thinking as an FR: maybe a little button to 'send all midi CC values'. I was just thinking about if one makes a preset,then you wanna go mental with realtime control and return your kit to the saved state without doing a program change...

Unqlenol wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:23 pm Thanks for the info on using LFOs at high rates for noise, FM etc...it's been wonderful to explore!

I was thinking as an FR: maybe a little button to 'send all midi CC values'. I was just thinking about if one makes a preset,then you wanna go mental with realtime control and return your kit to the saved state without doing a program change...
Glad you found it usefull. Modulating the oscillators by themselves (FM) at high ratios can also give you additional varieties of noises. ( So up to three different noises per drum, and also insteresting : these noises can be dynamically operated/modulated, wich opens still another sonic dimension)

I noted you idea of sending all midi Cc. Recalling the preset is actually the fast and esay way. (Then, saving a small clip with base offsets is the usual way on many synths I use. This works ok if you modulate a few parameters per sound) (But if you modulate live say 50 parameters per drum sound, offset method requires both time AND to be perfectly organised for sure + can become quickly cumbersome)

Atm big sweat is invested into implementing a long time request : Dn'D midi pattern from StiX to the daw (a la Microtonic), wich will complete the midi output recording in your daw. Other more glamorous features, sonically and synthesis speaking, have been added also. And I've got a bunch of exclusive samples waiting to be exploited.

Testing now the new choke option, wich will be included in the next StiX version.

Nice :)

Lotuzia wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:58 pm Testing now the new choke option, wich will be included in the next StiX version.

Yay!

It really was needed. Good work Lotuzia!

Unqlenol wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:28 pm
Lotuzia wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:58 pm Testing now the new choke option, wich will be included in the next StiX version.

Yay!
:D

CinningBao wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:48 pm It really was needed. Good work Lotuzia!
Thanks.

Yes, it adds a lot. I first thought that StiX ability to create a complex ophh/clhh pattern within a single sequencer line with the help of the P.lock step parameters targetting envelopes was a better solution, and thus, the choke function wasn't needed. And I was simply wrong :dog:

P.lock parameters are super powerfull but require kindof expert programming, and time to set them, when chokes are very simple to operate. But there's more, Choke allow sonically results that P.lock simply can't do in a certain number of figures (and in all cases if sounds are vastly different, like a huge slam choked by a small woodtick) . Reverse is true also : P.lock allow things choke can't do.

Well anyway, having both is paradise. They complete each other very well, and are super effective when only one system is used.

Agreed - versatility is the key here :)
Having both is unique and great!

I look forward to the update

I appreciate the honesty and commitment. Stix has been a total game changer for me. Choke certainly most welcome.

I've been looking for something to replace my electron machinedrum in the box. How does everyone find Stix sonically as far as just the synth engine goes? I like my drums purely synthetic so I find most drum vsts available lacking as it seems they are designed with samples in mind first, and synthesis second.

I had demoed the synth awhile back and found the bass kick absolutely monsterous but didn't delve into the other instruments as much as I should have

Nleif wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:32 pm I've been looking for something to replace my electron machinedrum in the box. How does everyone find Stix sonically as far as just the synth engine goes? I like my drums purely synthetic so I find most drum vsts available lacking as it seems they are designed with samples in mind first, and synthesis second.

I had demoed the synth awhile back and found the bass kick absolutely monsterous but didn't delve into the other instruments as much as I should have
Each of the other instruments are designed on the same basis as the kick drum (3 x oscillators, amp, pitch and filter envelopes, numerous different modulation sources). A lot of variety is possible through adding LFOs, FM, etc but didn't find it that intuitive at first. Worth reading the manual and experimenting as you can easily create "drum" hits as drones, synth notes or even chords with a bit of work.

Would prefer different envelopes per oscillator for layering but there are workarounds using other modulation sources.

CinningBao wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:56 pm Agreed - versatility is the key here :)
Having both is unique and great!

I look forward to the update
Thanks :) Not so long to wait hopefully (if all goes well... :) )

Return to “Instruments”