Arturia 11 December - Pigments Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pigments 5

Frenchies... they do it all differently. :P

egbert101 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:39 am I don't know if Arturia are listening, but I find myself wanting to click one of the modulators and then dragging a temporary cable to the parameter or knob I'm choosing to modulate and then seeing that parameter or knob flash until I set the contours.

What I don't like is that the entire modulation section gets replaced with an ugly box and each time I touch a new parameter another box appears. It might be good for ease of use and a first release, but this ugly box that pops up is not elegant compared to what the rest of the synth is trying to do in terms of visual feedback.
Fully agreed. After hours of testing I still click the boxes and little boxes and expect to somehow drag a 'cable' to the modulation target. It makes intuitive sense to me to first select the modulator and THEN the target and not the other way around so I keep doing it over and over again and getting disappointed.

And then there is another thing.

I don't know if it's just me but the GUI is a complete dealbreaker for me. While testing it I find myself not wanting to use for example fast LFO rates, or really having the LFO tab open or god forbid modulating the filters with anything fast... I HATE THOSE ANIMATED BRIGHT THINGS. I find myself not wanting to open the damn thing at all. I wish there was a way to turn the animations off while you are not playing a note (like Serum does) or at least make them less flashy. The moving large dots on LFO's and envelopes are just wrong.

I'm sure this is a personal thing, but holy moly the constant visual blinks, flashes and movements all over the GUI are distracting and off putting.

Please, Arturia.

skinwalker wrote: I'm sure this is a personal thing, but holy moly the constant visual blinks, flashes and movements all over the GUI are distracting and off putting.
It's called Pigments for a reason. Then I guess it's not the synth for you. Plenty of other WT synths around.

Shift the SEQ lanes left or right would be nice.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

Stefken wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:15 am
skinwalker wrote: I'm sure this is a personal thing, but holy moly the constant visual blinks, flashes and movements all over the GUI are distracting and off putting.
It's called Pigments for a reason. Then I guess it's not the synth for you. Plenty of other WT synths around.
Yet, with the simplest tweak (add the option to stop the animations while user is not holding a key / amp envelope has finished (or just make them go away completely at all times)) it would be the synth for me.

For whatever reason the animations don't bother me too much when It's me who is actively triggering them. When they are just playing all the time in your peripheral vision even when you would like them to stop is when it gets distracting and really off putting.

Better yet, to make it extra sleek, make the the animations fade in and out by letting them listen the final audio output.

Of course I could just to silently conclude it's just not the synth for me, because you know the name of the synth and all how could they ever even think about adding such an OPTION, but I think I prefer voicing my opinion about it publicly.

I'd consider getting this if it had poly arp/seq and midi to outside world.

What I love the most about Pigments is that the sound has that certain charm of a vintage sampler such as the Mirage. It has the depth, smoothness and vintage character that I adore, which can also sounds modern at the same time. With a touch of the beautiful sounding lofi tools like the Bit Crusher/Dist/OD/WF, it can be even closer. Those are some of the best tools for the kind of sound that I'm looking for. To have something like that as a modern wavetable/hybrid synth is my dream come true. This and the 112db Morgana are a perfect match.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

What I love the most about Pigments is that it seems to only use about half the CPU of Serum so I can play 6-7 note chords without having to worry! I still really like Serum but doing some A/B sound comparisons reminded me how CPU heavy it can be!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Something I'm missing in the sequencer is a way to save or lock the sequence.
Hoping they'll add it in an update....

Reading through this thread is appears the reviews on this thing are a real mixed bag. However, the one constant seems to be that it's easy to program.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll probably pick this up before the Jan 10 deadline.

Stefken wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:56 pm Something I'm missing in the sequencer is a way to save or lock the sequence.
+1
And Midi out would be nice. Also a way to choose which steps should be randomized.
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

Creating some lovely polyrhythmic sounds with this.
Great stuff!

Hello guys,

I'm Denis, one of the Pigments Sound Designers. I'm surprised cause no one so far has mentioned one of my very favorite features in Pigments. How to use it:
- Click the "Q" next to the coarse
- Click the pen next to the coarse
- A pop up open, select a few notes in the octave (I love to use 2 or 3 notes with large intervals)
- Modulate the Coarse: it's now only playing the notes you have selected

I asked the product manager. He told me he got that feature idea from a Eurorack module, but that he never saw it on a soft synth.

Cheers,

D

sbj wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:22 pm
Stefken wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:56 pm Something I'm missing in the sequencer is a way to save or lock the sequence.
+1
And Midi out would be nice.
+1

There is a probability feature in the sequencer.

DenisArturia wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:30 pm Hello guys,

I'm Denis, one of the Pigments Sound Designers. I'm surprised cause no one so far has mentioned one of my very favorite features in Pigments. How to use it:
- Click the "Q" next to the coarse
- Click the pen next to the coarse
- A pop up open, select a few notes in the octave (I love to use 2 or 3 notes with large intervals)
- Modulate the Coarse: it's now only playing the notes you have selected

I asked the product manager. He told me he got that feature idea from a Eurorack module, but that he never saw it on a soft synth.

Cheers,

D
Thanks- I had no idea what that was for! There are definitely some features borrowed from modular that I really like!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Instruments”