u-he Hive 1.2 - free update - adds wavetables and more

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

Great update, but I still think the weakest side of Hive is supersaw/hypersaw. You cant make agressive heavily detuned typical hardstyle leads with it, the sound misses something. Plus release on supersaw sounds a bit weird, plastic like. Spire and Dune shine at those type of sounds.

Define "something" more precisely.

Hehe, yeah, I really don't know what that means.

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:22 pm Define "something" more precisely.
Detune doesnt sound right, its not designed to get that type of sounds, its too clean. Dune has several types of voicing and detuning, Spire has density and extended detune capabilities. And env amp release is, hard to explain, doesnt sound natural and when you add reverb to that, you get not so pleasant sound (when using supersaw). Dont get me wrong, everything else regarding Hive is great, my only nitpick is detune capabilities. Hence why I use other synths for that, but if Hive would offer that, than it would most probably be my only synth.

HcDoom wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:51 pm
Detune doesnt sound right, its not designed to get that type of sounds, its too clean. Dune has several types of voicing and detuning, Spire has density and extended detune capabilities. And env amp release is, hard to explain, doesnt sound natural and when you add reverb to that, you get not so pleasant sound (when using supersaw). Dont get me wrong, everything else regarding Hive is great, my only nitpick is detune capabilities. Hence why I use other synths for that, but if Hive would offer that, than it would most probably be my only synth.
Best thing to do would be to post some audio comparing similarly detuned supersaws in Hive to Dune and Spire. My experience is that Urs is never one to disregard a critique on the sound of one of his synths if 1) he can hear what you are (and it's legit) and, 2) that type of sound fits into the paradigm of the synth, which in this case, I think detuned saws would. With Hive 2 in the works, I'd think now would be a good time to illustrate the difference.

HcDoom wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:51 pm
Detune doesnt sound right, its not designed to get that type of sounds, its too clean.
The detune laws in Hive have not been chosen randomly. We did listening tests and we analysed the (often utterly simple) detune laws of highly regarded synths. I think we improved on all of these.

I'm happy to hear audio examples, but please forgive me if after all those years of hearing similar complaints, I won't jump without. Just the other day someone posted audio examples in another thread on another matter and it turned out that the criticism on our product was not justified. Hence... bring them on :clown:

Shouldn't the detune knob be bipolar when there is only 1 voice in the oscillator? But it seems one can only detune upwards.

I think the detune issues (which I also noticed a long time ago) might result from the sub inheriting width, pan and detune settings from the main osc, even when selecting other waveforms in the sub.
I remember writing this before at least a year ago, maybe two, but there was no reply from U-he.

There is space left for a little delay knob next to the vibrato knob :wink:

a beatles song written by george harrison.

vurt wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:45 pm
a beatles song written by george harrison.
Then it's very good that Hive sounds nothing like it :tu:
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Gee, the U-he demo mode is really annoying, as if they tried to keep people from demoing their plugins :hihi:
Why not simply mute random notes, that would also render it useless for production, but not piss people off...

I have no idea how it is on hardware, but I have also noticed that on Hive the initial velocity of the first note gets inherited by all follow-up notes when in mono-legato mode. In another synth I use, the follow-up notes still respond to velocity, which makes the mono-legato sound more dynamic and lively, especially when the first note was played with the wrong force :hihi:

HcDoom wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:51 pmDetune doesnt sound right, its not designed to get that type of sounds, its too clean. Dune has several types of voicing and detuning, Spire has density and extended detune capabilities
In Hive, there are different detuning laws depending on which mode you choose (Normal/Dirty/Clean), if you weren't aware of that. The modes also change the filter and envelope curvatures as well.

fluffy_little_something wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:39 pm Shouldn't the detune knob be bipolar when there is only 1 voice in the oscillator? But it seems one can only detune upwards.

I think the detune issues (which I also noticed a long time ago) might result from the sub inheriting width, pan and detune settings from the main osc, even when selecting other waveforms in the sub.
I remember writing this before at least a year ago, maybe two, but there was no reply from U-he.

There is space left for a little delay knob next to the vibrato knob :wink:

User Guide clearly states that that is Only the case when using LIKE OSC for the sub-osc waveform, otherwise NO, the sub does not inherit detune from the "main" osc, only panning

My tests showed otherwise...

fluffy_little_something wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:19 pm My tests showed otherwise...
I have subsequently tested this as well and it is not the case. Only when you are making use of the "=" Like Osc waveform setting for the sub-osc. I suppose that is why the support team hasn't replied. I've just tested using all 3 'engines' and the result is the same here. I attempted to modulate Detune with various sources, including just moving it with the mouse pointer. The only time I get a detune sub-osc without fail is when using the Like Osc setting.

Return to “Instruments”