PG-8X (2.0) released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

Thanks for the update - seems to load the bank fine now. Great stuff!

One curiosity is that the "Voices" patch (Patch #8) doesn't sound right to me... It was my fave patch on the real thing - had such a special ethereal quality to it.

Seems to be way to low-pitched and the filter sounds like it needs to be closed a bit more.

Can someone have a listen and confirm that I'm not losing my marbles?

Cheers,

Mike.

acYm wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:13 am how come none of these factory patches have any portamento? the original had it, right?
bit confused about that. any relation with the bug in the patch recall?
appears to be a bug in the bank save function
when using the synths own bank save system.

add porta to the piano 1 patch.
save as .pg-8bank file
load it back
porta does not get saved.

butttttt it all works if you save the bank in FXB
format using the daws bank file syste....
come on Martin, fix that SH** already! :x :lol:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:25 am
acYm wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:13 am how come none of these factory patches have any portamento? the original had it, right?
bit confused about that. any relation with the bug in the patch recall?
appears to be a bug in the bank save function
when using the synths own bank save system.

add porta to the piano 1 patch.
save as .pg-8bank file
load it back
porta does not get saved.

butttttt it all works if you save the bank in FXB
format using the daws bank file syste....
come on Martin, fix that SH** already! :x :lol:
Is Martin still working on it? The portamento bug is a bit annoying indeed
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Isn't that just how the JX-8P works? The performance section controls are global they aren't saved in the patches-- at least if I remember correctly.

interesting. if it's indeed intentional, that's an impressive commitment to authenticity.

I found out about this synth only like, last week, somehow. someone had listed it among other synths that can deliver good subtractive va. it can sure hang around, the filter has a great response...

First of all, sorry for the long silence. Life has been quite busy the last year (and still is...).

I tried to reproduce the portamento issue, but could not reproduce it (on Reaper, Windows). Could you give me more information on which system and DAW the problem happens, and whether you use the internal system, of try to save as fxb.

Cheers,
Martin

martin_l wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:45 pm First of all, sorry for the long silence. Life has been quite busy the last year (and still is...).

I tried to reproduce the portamento issue, but could not reproduce it (on Reaper, Windows). Could you give me more information on which system and DAW the problem happens, and whether you use the internal system, of try to save as fxb.

Cheers,
Martin
holy crap it's our lord and savior, Martin L.!!!!!
On a more serious note, loading SYX files crashes the Fruity Wrapper idk why
This is Samuel S. I make music for fun even if it isn't music.

martin_l wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:45 pm First of all, sorry for the long silence. Life has been quite busy the last year (and still is...).

Cheers,
Martin
No worries, Martin. If you've been busy, I hope it's been with things you enjoy doing--or at least things you make money doing. :wink:

I had the portamento problem with the latest 64-bit version, under Sonar Platinum and FL Studio 12. The friend who mentioned this to me also had the problem in FL Studio 12. Neither of us tried the 32-bit version. The others in this thread who've had the problem can tell you which DAW and version of the synth they were using, but it does appear to be a common issue.

That said, I think we all can agree that we love the synth and appreciate your work!

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

I'm also on ableton live 10 64-bit, running on windows 7. for me it looks like this: new project, pg-8x, init preset, enable portamento and put it halfway up, test it's working, save project, close project, re-open. upon reload, the glide switch is still enabled, but it does not work, until I turn it off and on again, then it's fine until the next project reload.

acYm wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:47 am I'm also on ableton live 10 64-bit, running on windows 7. for me it looks like this: new project, pg-8x, init preset, enable portamento and put it halfway up, test it's working, save project, close project, re-open. upon reload, the glide switch is still enabled, but it does not work, until I turn it off and on again, then it's fine until the next project reload.
Yep, that’s how it goes for me, too. I think everyone who’s mentioned the issue is experiencing what you’ve described here. And it doesn’t appear to be limited to any particular DAW or preset.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

So this doesn't come with default patches! Just four banks full of Init patches.

Which is the most bread and butter, factory default sounding, bank of patches you can get for this?

I dunno how this synth completely fell off my radar after all these years but so far I like it just as much as SQ8L.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:53 pm So this doesn't come with default patches! Just four banks full of Init patches.

Which is the most bread and butter, factory default sounding, bank of patches you can get for this?

I dunno how this synth completely fell off my radar after all these years but so far I like it just as much as SQ8L.
A lot of patches you can just get from KVR including the factory library of the original synth https://www.kvraudio.com/product/pg-8x- ... /downloads

Personally I like the patches this guy makes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZo1vZFRYuM

v1o wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:53 pmfactory default sounding
Actually there is a JX8P factory bank someone nicely converted to PG8X format from sysex data.
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/pg-8x- ... /downloads
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Thanks guys, some nice sounds to be had in those links.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

planetearth wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:39 pm Not to take this off-track, but Espen's selling presets? I didn't see or hear any mention of this in his videos. Where did you find them?

Steve
Sorry for late replay need 5 posts to allow link. If you go The Patchbay and search, the name for the patch is "Espen Kraft - Roland JX-8P / PG-8X - 32 Retro Synthwave Presets"

Return to “Instruments”