TRK-01 Play for Free from NI

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not a big drum user but it would be a cool idea to have a drum host that had different pads corresponding to a hardware pad, each of which could load different drum engines, which could be internal ones (synth or sample based) but could also be plugins like these.

or Maybe Maschine can do that already?

aMUSEd wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:04 pm Not a big drum user but it would be a cool idea to have a drum host that had different pads corresponding to a hardware pad, each of which could load different drum engines, which could be internal ones (synth or sample based) but could also be plugins like these.

or Maybe Maschine can do that already?
Yes Maschine does this. So does Ableton drum racks and the bitwig drum machine.

progtronic wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:26 pm This might be the best NI holiday freebie yet. :o

These synths are surprisingly deep. I'll get a lot of use out of bass module.

Would be really amazing if they developed individual snare, hi-hat, tom and percussion units as well.
If you have Maschine 2 already, they do have modules like you suggest in side there. They are not as robust as TRK-01 PLAY KICK but they are great nonetheless.

What's the filter on the bass synth? It's weird - sounds almost like a vowel filter, not very resonant.

Fired it up and had a decent play with the synth side of it last night. There are some really nice presets in there and more than enough stuff to allow you to go nuts with the sound. I've had "Money Shredder" on a random bass loop for the last 20 minutes and I could easily listen to it all day. I love the compact UI, too, it makes for a very neat project! The workflow is even slicker now, too, without having to bounce from side to side.

I haven't loaded the Kick module yet, I have little interest in it and I think it will suffer much more from not having the sequencer. With the sequencer's parameter locks you could do some nice rhythmic texture stuff that will be a lot less elegant in the Play version.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES would argue with people that completely agree with him. :lol:

If they were wrong, of course I would. All that matters are the facts/truth, not who is saying what to whom.
aMUSEd wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:39 pmWhat's the filter on the bass synth? It's weird - sounds almost like a vowel filter, not very resonant.
It depends how you use it. It has 2, 4 and 8 pole modes plus a notch filter. It's also switched off in the init preset. It's an interesting set-up, because the 2 pole actually has stronger resonance. Moving to a 4 or 8 pole filter seems to dull the resonance a bit and introduce a lot more bottom end. If you turn up the feedback a bit, you can get enough resonance for most basslines but I don't think it's capable of screaming like a banshee (something I would never want/need/try).

If you click on the filter label, you get to see what it's doing. It's very cool.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Russell Grand wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:35 am BONES would argue with people that completely agree with him. :lol:
GRRRRRRRRR!

BONES wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:16 am If they were wrong, of course I would. All that matters are the facts/truth, not who is saying what to whom.
aMUSEd wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:39 pmWhat's the filter on the bass synth? It's weird - sounds almost like a vowel filter, not very resonant.
It depends how you use it. It has 2, 4 and 8 pole modes plus a notch filter. It's also switched off in the init preset. It's an interesting set-up, because the 2 pole actually has stronger resonance. Moving to a 4 or 8 pole filter seems to dull the resonance a bit and introduce a lot more bottom end. If you turn up the feedback a bit, you can get enough resonance for most basslines but I don't think it's capable of screaming like a banshee (something I would never want/need/try).

If you click on the filter label, you get to see what it's doing. It's very cool.
Thanks that clarifies things - although it doesn't state there is a vowel filter but in some patches it seems to sound like a rather soft vowel filter.

The 2 pole really has more guts to it than the others - although I'm not really much of a bass player this is a fun little synth and crams a heck of a lot into such a deceptively simple interface - very well designed.

The "vowel" is an envelope driving the notch, by the look of things.

Interesting that most of the "vowel"-sounding patches run the regular filters into a sample-rate-reduction effect.

progtronic wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:26 pm Would be really amazing if they developed individual snare, hi-hat, tom and percussion units as well.
I recommend the AudioThing hi-hat plugin in the mean-time :)

Some good reaktor blocks out there too.

I installed these and was surprised to not see Maschine or komplete kontrol presents for them. Anyone else see those or are they only Reaktor presets?

I can see NKS presets for them - maybe you have auto updating the database off?

Am I the only one who doesn't feel it? I can only speak for the kick module.

First it's a pita to tweak the sound with so many pages and such a small interface. It's tiny on my screen.

Second the sound is fine, but really nothing special so far. I think plugins like kick2 or punchbox or so are far superior from the synth engine, or do I miss something?

Return to “Instruments”