u-he Hive 1.2 - free update - adds wavetables and more

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

The pan setting applies to both oscillators, turn it to one side and it will also apply to any sub osc waveform selected.
When you are into the supersaw/unison/stacking stuff, it makes total sense to select the equal mode for the sub as otherwise it seems you only get a single waveform in the sub. And as soon as you select the equal mode, many key parameters (including width, detune and pan) are inherited, which doesn't exactly help the sound in my view.

fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:05 am The pan setting applies to both oscillators, turn it to one side and it will also apply to any sub osc waveform selected.
When you are into the supersaw/unison/stacking stuff, it makes total sense to select the equal mode for the sub as otherwise it seems you only get a single waveform in the sub. And as soon as you select the equal mode, many key parameters (including width, detune and pan) are inherited, which doesn't exactly help the sound in my view.
Yes, that is correct. I thought your comment was regarding all waveforms of the Sub. But what is it exactly you wish to accomplish with the particular patch you are designing that is dependent upon total isolation of the sub from one side of the synth; that cannot be accomplished by employing the second OSC bank module on side 2? I suppose I wonder about the utility of having one side's sub completely isolated from the parameters you mentioned which it is slaved to. We have to recall the design of Hive is such that it is to be CPU efficient and this is why it was carefully designed to use this split OSC w slave sub scheme, if I recall correctly. I think other synths use something similar. Yet are there really so many vital uses for a completely isolated sub on BOTH sides of the synth? I am genuinely curious. I am not trying to be facetious. I understand your concern if this was a single OSC synth, but it is not.

I'm just popping in to say thank you for the awesome free update!

fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:05 am The pan setting applies to both oscillators, turn it to one side and it will also apply to any sub osc waveform selected.
I think you figured out long time ago that Hive isn't your favourite choice. Didn't you sell it earlier this year? Don't let its new features trick you into thinking otherwise.

snigelx wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:24 am
Yes, that is correct. I thought your comment was regarding all waveforms of the Sub. But what is it exactly you wish to accomplish with the particular patch you are designing that is dependent upon total isolation of the sub from one side of the synth; that cannot be accomplished by employing the second OSC bank module on side 2? I suppose I wonder about the utility of having one side's sub completely isolated from the parameters you mentioned which it is slaved to. We have to recall the design of Hive is such that it is to be CPU efficient and this is why it was carefully designed to use this split OSC w slave sub scheme, if I recall correctly. I think other synths use something similar. Yet are there really so many vital uses for a completely isolated sub on BOTH sides of the synth? I am genuinely curious. I am not trying to be facetious. I understand your concern if this was a single OSC synth, but it is not.
Well, it's simply what I observe...

I also noticed that the saw in Hive sounds weird, almost like a square on higher octaves when both main and sub are enabled. And it adds up as you stack waves in unison mode. As if the two osc's were phase-locked and not detuned one against the other.
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:44 amWell, it's simply what I observe...

I also noticed that the saw in Hive sounds weird, almost like a square on higher octaves when both main and sub are enabled. And it adds up as you stack waves in unison mode. As if the two osc's were phase-linked and not detuned one against the other.
Pleeeeease :cry: :cry: :cry:

I don't think there was a single feature you haven't found not-to-your-liking over the years. But d'oh... I'm sure you'll prove me wrong :lol:

Urs wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:52 am
fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:44 amWell, it's simply what I observe...

I also noticed that the saw in Hive sounds weird, almost like a square on higher octaves when both main and sub are enabled. And it adds up as you stack waves in unison mode. As if the two osc's were phase-linked and not detuned one against the other.
Pleeeeease :cry: :cry: :cry:
Here a little audio of what I mean, first Sylenth1, then Hive.
I used identical settings: 2 saws x 2 oscs (in the case of S1 one layer, in the case of Hive main and sub), both oscs set to same volume and octave, both slightly detuned (around 20% to 25%), phase mode random / no retrigger, keytracking 50%.

https://app.box.com/s/gnsq26teh3puf9s81xbqiki0lp30u2ji

snigelx wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:24 amI am genuinely curious. I am not trying to be facetious. I understand your concern if this was a single OSC synth, but it is not.
No need to be curious. Fluffy is an anti u-he troll. He does not have the slightest interest in honest conversation. He likes to pretend otherwise, but there is a long track record there. He regularly contradicts himself from thread to thread. He has stated more than once his disinterest in Hive. There is nothing genuine for you to respond to.

Sylenth1 shill, obviously.
<List your stupid gear here>

I bet he knows very well how to "unlock" the phase of the sub osc in Hive. He knows a lot about Hive. More than most of our own employees.

*sigh* not sure why I even bother...

The nitpickiness of KVR (while frustrating) really kind of makes me appreciate the era we find ourselves in...while everyone now is complaining about envelope speeds and unison modes and how this PWM doesn't sound like that synth's PWM...i remember when i started, it was either shelling out the big bucks for Atmosphere or Reaktor, or putting a softie in the mix and going 'wow. That sounds awful.' i haven't tried a single soft synth in the last five years i thought sounded bad.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:31 am
snigelx wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:24 amI am genuinely curious. I am not trying to be facetious. I understand your concern if this was a single OSC synth, but it is not.
No need to be curious. Fluffy is an anti u-he troll. He does not have the slightest interest in honest conversation. He likes to pretend otherwise, but there is a long track record there. He regularly contradicts himself from thread to thread. He has stated more than once his disinterest in Hive. There is nothing genuine for you to respond to.
Where did I state my disinterest in Hive? You are putting a lot of words into my mouth. Consider yourself lucky that I don't challenge you to post quotes.
I actually bought Hive. If I were not interested in something, would I have spent 150 euros or so on it? Sure I sold it later on, but with a considerable loss, of course.

I like the way the filter sounds and the easy routing, but not so much the gloomy, futuristic GUI, nor the phaser (missing a few controls and never is without LFO, even with a rate of zero).
Anyway, will experiment with the WT stuff tomorrow, maybe I will stumble upon something of interest 8)
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Urs wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:44 am I bet he knows very well how to "unlock" the phase of the sub osc in Hive. He knows a lot about Hive. More than most of our own employees.

*sigh* not sure why I even bother...
Constant -> Sub Tune?
It is a bit clumsy, why no detune knob for an important control? The GUI is so big and there is a lot of empty space left.
The existing Detune knob seems to act on both main and sub the same way in equal mode. So, basically it only helps when using both oscillator sections.

Had fun playing with Ableton and put together this little upbeat track using only Hive for the sounds. Everything but the drum sounds are using WT sounds from the factory bank.

Uhbik-A was used on Send-A for a bit of reverb and Presswerk was used for the master limiter.

https://soundcloud.com/user-841453413/through-the-hive
:borg:

Return to “Instruments”