donkeyt - enclosed - folk/trip hop?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Great song, great recording. I still think your vocals are set just a little too deeply into the instrumental mix, and your vocals are damned good, so bring those dulcet tones forward !! :)

(Sorry to rag you on the vocals, but as a singer I'm always hearing mixes with too little confidence in the vocals.)

The lyrics made me think of the setting for The Full Monty (a comedy set against a rather grim picture of Sheffield after the collapse of the steel/coal industry there).

First-rate stuff.

Best,

dp

deleted by poster
Last edited by StudioDave on Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lovely.

like your voice here

Cheers for all the replies and advice - seems to be a recommendation to turn up the bloody singing...so have done so a bit now, plus tinkered with the eq a bit more -only small changes. Why does no one ever ask me turn up the guitar playing.. :cry: :hihi:

It's never a confidence thing really, I just hate that, 'vocals sitting on top of the music and not in it' (if that makes sense) type of mix, so always will err on the side of caution then inch things up bit by bit...

donkey tugger wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:29 pm Cheers for all the replies and advice - seems to be a recommendation to turn up the bloody singing...so have done so a bit now, plus tinkered with the eq a bit more -only small changes. Why does no one ever ask me turn up the guitar playing.. :cry: :hihi:

It's never a confidence thing really, I just hate that, 'vocals sitting on top of the music and not in it' (if that makes sense) type of mix, so always will err on the side of caution then inch things up bit by bit...
These young kids weren't around when so many vocals were buried in the mix.

These vocals sit right in between the guitars and everything else going on. One of my all time favorite speed metal songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRt54xjIq7w

yours is an admirable talent ...
regardless the genre , you sell it w/ conviction ...

there are three people on this board that have brought me
to tears w/ their work ...

opia
d.h. miltz
yourself ...

Wonderful this :-) great mix, mood, lyrics. it's all here.

Very much on level with Steven Wilson, Elbow, Talk Talk... all compliments in the highest order.

Nice one.

experimental.crow wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:49 pm

opia
d.h. miltz
yourself ...
:oops:

I've often nearly brought myself to tears after the 15th guitar take...

topaz wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:01 pm

Very much on level with Steven Wilson, Elbow, Talk Talk... all compliments in the highest order.

Nice one.
Indeed! Cheers. :D

donkey tugger wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:49 am
experimental.crow wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:49 pm

opia
d.h. miltz
yourself ...
:oops:

I've often nearly brought myself to tears after the 15th guitar take...
Now that really made me laugh out loud!
Nice tune, this one..

Fuckin fantastic song. On repeat here.

I just really like the vibe of this track. I think your 'loose' playing sounds great. Basic guitar strumming can either have character or not. This has character. I like the atmosphereic elements as well. The mix of acoustic and subtle electric elements gives it a kind of late 90s feel to me. Very nice!

pekadan wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:31 am Fuckin fantastic song. On repeat here.
Cheers, very kind!

Local Man wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:27 pm I think your 'loose' playing sounds great. Basic guitar strumming can either have character or not. This has character.
Probably could have played it a bit better, but I do like it (little mistakes and all) now meself. Where I missed a trick was doing it on my new-ish Epiphone (nice guitar but very generic and clean sounding), when if I'd thought I could have used my battered old charity shop Encore with all its squeaks and fret buzz. Ah well, not doing it again now! :hihi:

Return to “Music Cafe”