u-he Hive 1.2 - free update - adds wavetables and more

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

epiphaneia wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:50 pm May I distract from the supersaw/unison question for a moment to post this:

I just installed the update, just scanned through a bunch of random presets tagged "wavetable" and holy s*it. Even if I may never find the time to create my own wavetables and whatever, even the presets (<cough cough> shame on me for liking presets!) are incredible. Now let´s see what I´m going to do with all that extra firepower.

Thanks, U-he!
Thank you!

keel wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:43 pm It seems that Urs can't take any criticism at all :( Why you get so angry, if people tell you that they don't like Hive unison? Maybe there is a reason why they, and I don't like it. There can be millions of technical specs on it, the geek stuff you wrote, but in the, the sound is only what is matter, and Hive's unison just doesn't sounds good enough. We all have different opinions, so, yeah.

Why don't you stop arquining and rather spend this to improve Hive? Perhaps add new, optional unison engine to Hive? Like I said, Diva's digital osc supersaw is superb. I would love to see that on Hive with stereo spread.

Peace!
Or he's dealing with the same toxicity as always. :hihi: I actually appreciate Urs replies and feedback on this forum, and really does know what he's talking about, he's corrected me a few times in the past.
<List your stupid gear here>

Urs wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:56 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:48 pmSo, how is the usual detune knob in Sylenth and other synths flawed?!
I can only answer this in respect of the synths I tried.

By their detune ratios and by their distribution on the left/right side of the stereo field.

They are furthermore flawed by their volume compensation and overall detune adjustment (or, lack thereof) when increasing or reducing the number of unison voices.

Did I answer this before? Ah, yes I did. I hope twice is enough.
I don't remember reading that explanation before. It is interesting, though, and I would have investigated and compared if I had read it before.

Urs wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:02 pm Look, maybe Hive is unpopular among the EDM crowd. I would not know. So how can you?
Why is a site where users can gather and upload information about synths the artists use no indicator for you?

chk071 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:47 pm If the Hive supersaw would be so famous, it would be much more popular among EDM producers, wouldn't you think?
:roll:

You'd be surprised to know what EDM producers can use to make supersaws. Hive is as good at supersaws as Serum, Dune2, Sylenth1... I know some big guys who also use Diva to make big supersaws but whatever. What makes a supersaw really big is the processing that comes after it (your channel AND your buss).

Producers are usually not really outspoken about the synths they use simply because they don't think that's something important. A synth is just a tool and I rarely see any EDM producers romanticize about the gear they use to make records because this is not an end in itself.

It's just an illusion to think that you need "THAT synth" to achieve a particular sound or to sound like a professional artist. This is missing the point about creation.
Last edited by sinemotor on Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:03 pmI would not have a problem with that as the options are not 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 anyway, but many more values. Odd semitones can't even be dialed in with the mouse wheel alone. In other words, the unit of that control might as well be octaves the way it is :wink:
Do I really need to discuss this at this level? By making it semitones you can dial in any interval easily. You can dial in octaves easily. You can shift-dial in detune if you need to.

No other parameter range would be as flexible as this with just 1 knob for this particular purpose.

(It took about 2€ of my time to answer this question)
Well, there are other parameters without proper units, like cutoff not in Hz but in % or some value between 0 and 100 or 127.
RTFM. It's semitones corresponding to MIDI note numbers.
Maybe. But I haven't tried making typical Juno 60 sounds on Hive, brass for instance. That would be the test to pass.
Only because we did something the way it was done in the Juno 60 does not mean we intended Hive to be a clone of the Juno 60. I was hoping it is a self evident that Hive has an otherwise completely different feature set. Why would you even assume such thing?

chk071 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:09 pm
Urs wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:02 pm Look, maybe Hive is unpopular among the EDM crowd. I would not know. So how can you?
Why is a site where users can gather and upload information about synths the artists use no indicator for you?
Because they're wrong about our other synths and there are significant flaws in the information given. So it's safe to assume that the overall metric is flawed as well. Maybe the sample is to small to be statistically significant, or, as I assume, the difference in marketing is an important factor in its representation of "popularity".

sinemotor wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:09 pm
chk071 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:47 pm If the Hive supersaw would be so famous, it would be much more popular among EDM producers, wouldn't you think?
:roll:

You'd be surprised to know what EDM producers can use to make supersaws. Hive is as good at supersaws than Serum, Dune2, Sylenth1... I know some big guys who also use Diva to make big supersaws but whatever.

Producers are usually not really outspoken about the synths they use simply because they don't think that's something important. A synth is just a tool and I rarely see any EDM producers romanticize about the gear they use to make records because this is not an end in itself.
Right. Why does everyone use Sylenth1, Massive, Spire or Serum then?

See those arguments really make no sense. I'm sure you can make funky basses with any analog synths as well, but, many people really preferred Moog basses. Is that all marketing bullshit as well then?

If i may state my own opinion, there's a big difference between supersaw pads, plucks, or whatever between the several synths i own which allow unison on oscillator, or synth level. And it's not just the unison itself, for plucks, the character of the filters, and the envelopes are important as well. Some synths even sound like utter shit, when you stack up sawtooths, and detune them (i won't name names now).

Urs wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:13 pm
chk071 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:09 pm
Because they're wrong about our other synths and there are significant flaws in the information given. So it's safe to assume that the overall metric is flawed as well. Maybe the sample is to small to be statistically significant, or, as I assume, the difference in marketing is an important factor in its representation of "popularity".
Why, Ok then. Would you accept that the amount of genre specific soundsets may be an indicator how popular a synth is for the specific genres then? After all, the people doing soundsets have a market to target.

egbert101 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:06 pmOr he's dealing with the same toxicity as always.
Yeah, I can see my staff roll their eyes over me-giving-a-shit when they come to the office tomorrow :lol: :lol: :lol:

chk071 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:15 pmWould you accept that the amount of genre specific soundsets may be an indicator how popular a synth is for the specific genres then? After all, the people doing soundsets have a market to target.
I'm not sure if this tells us anything else but "there are n soundsets for synth x". How about we count presets that sound significantly different? Or presets used in production?

Again, we can as well use keyword search in forums for this. Or Google trends.

But really, the only thing that might count is sales figures, any they are simply not available. Everything else is speculation.

Urs wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:10 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:03 pmI would not have a problem with that as the options are not 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 anyway, but many more values. Odd semitones can't even be dialed in with the mouse wheel alone. In other words, the unit of that control might as well be octaves the way it is :wink:
Do I really need to discuss this at this level? By making it semitones you can dial in any interval easily. You can dial in octaves easily. You can shift-dial in detune if you need to.

No other parameter range would be as flexible as this with just 1 knob for this particular purpose.

(It took about 2€ of my time to answer this question)
Well, there are other parameters without proper units, like cutoff not in Hz but in % or some value between 0 and 100 or 127.
RTFM. It's semitones corresponding to MIDI note numbers.
Maybe. But I haven't tried making typical Juno 60 sounds on Hive, brass for instance. That would be the test to pass.
Only because we did something the way it was done in the Juno 60 does not mean we intended Hive to be a clone of the Juno 60. I was hoping it is a self evident that Hive has an otherwise completely different feature set. Why would you even assume such thing?
I find it odd when I have to use two hands to dial in an odd semitone on a control named semitone :roll:

Yeah, let's send you donations for typing here :roll:

Nobody is speaking of a clone. However, the famous standard sounds of hardware synths are the litmus test for soft synths in my view.

As a Hive user I’m having a problem understanding what the complaints are about. There are many, many great alternatives that definitely cover anything - sound wise - one could wish for.
Hive does what it does, nothing more, nothing less... like it use it, don’t like it, find an alternative. Knickers getting twisted for no reason at all IMO. And don’t feed the trolls...

you guys quit picking on Urs, Hive is dope and you know it. it also has the most advanced and cleanest waverables available. i don't know anywhere else you can get fractal wavetables. it's a pretty significant achievement.

as far as the "i want the synth (X) edm personality uses" ... LoL. there are several reasons people in that community use the same instruments over and over again ... none of them good.

chk071 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:14 pmRight. Why does everyone use Sylenth1, Massive, Spire or Serum then?

See those arguments really make no sense. I'm sure you can make funky basses with any analog synths as well, but, many people really preferred Moog basses. Is that all marketing bullshit as well then?

If i may state my own opinion, there's a big difference between supersaw pads, plucks, or whatever between the several synths i own which allow unison on oscillator, or synth level. And it's not just the unison itself, for plucks, the character of the filters, and the envelopes are important as well. Some synths even sound like utter shit, when you stack up sawtooths, and detune them (i won't name names now).
Group dynamics and marketing are playing an important part for sure. I mean, when you see a famous artist (= an authority figure) using "synth X" there is a big chance that a lot of people are gonna use that synth too. That is influence and it's the reason why some synths are much more popular than others. Just look at Serum for example. Every EDM producer are using it now so "it must be THE synth for EDM". Even Kanye was looking for a cracked version of Serum lol. So kids are following that.

I agree that each synth is built in a different way and has different features/engine/workflow/whatever... consequently they all have their own flavors and differences which make them what they are. But to say Hive (or any synth) isn't used by EDM producers because the Internet isn't showing you results that prove your point is a stretch.
Last edited by sinemotor on Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”