Dead Duck Software - opinions?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Classic Instruments Free Effects

The Dead Duck plugin bundles have been updated: Instruments to 1.4.3 and Effects to 1.5.5. Despite the minor change in version numbers there are some significant changes in this release.

Firstly, the registry hack to disable mouse-wheel support has been replaced by a text-based configuration file. This is optional and is only used to override the default settings so it can be ignored if the defaults are acceptable. To create the config file run the new 'DD Settings.exe' utility which is located in the 'Settings' folder of the Effects Bundle - this is a .NET program which simply creates/updates the text config file with the chosen values. If you can't (or don't want to) run this the file can easily be created manually, see 'DD Settings Read Me.txt' in the archive for full details.

The config controls two settings - mouse-wheel support and a new overload-protection feature which provides a 3dB 'safety-clipper' in all the effect plugins. By default both these features are enabled, if you want to turn either of them off update the config as required.

The Effects Bundle includes a new effect - DJEQ, a three-band 'DJ-style' equaliser.

The DeEsser now works with a three-band setup rather than the previous 'high/low' band arrangement allowing the de-essing to be applied to a narrow band of frequencies defined by the two upper and lower frequency control knobs.

Other than the change in mouse-wheel support there are no changes to the Instruments bundle.

Downloads as usual from KVR:

Effects

Instruments

swatwork wrote:The Dead Duck plugin bundles have been updated: Instruments to 1.4.3 and Effects to 1.5.5. Despite the minor change in version numbers there are some significant changes in this release.

Firstly, the registry hack to disable mouse-wheel support has been replaced by a text-based configuration file. This is optional and is only used to override the default settings so it can be ignored if the defaults are acceptable. To create the config file run the new 'DD Settings.exe' utility which is located in the 'Settings' folder of the Effects Bundle - this is a .NET program which simply creates/updates the text config file with the chosen values. If you can't (or don't want to) run this the file can easily be created manually, see 'DD Settings Read Me.txt' in the archive for full details.

The config controls two settings - mouse-wheel support and a new overload-protection feature which provides a 3dB 'safety-clipper' in all the effect plugins. By default both these features are enabled, if you want to turn either of them off update the config as required.

The Effects Bundle includes a new effect - DJEQ, a three-band 'DJ-style' equaliser.

I think you should update your blog with each version update, some people (like me) thought you really abandoned the development of these plugins (at least in terms of new features), like you said in the past.
The DeEsser now works with a three-band setup rather than the previous 'high/low' band arrangement allowing the de-essing to be applied to a narrow band of frequencies defined by the two upper and lower frequency control knobs.

Other than the change in mouse-wheel support there are no changes to the Instruments bundle.

Downloads as usual from KVR:

Effects

Instruments
You should update your blog with each update's changelog, because some people like me thought you really abandoned the development of these plugins (at least for new features).

DualFilter and Filter in one tree it’s will better

I'm enjoying these plugins and it's saved me from spending needless money on a famous digital subscription for essentially the same kind of products. I used to use for a long time the classic series by Kjaerhus but they never went to 64 bit and by today's standards are bit CPU heavy.

These remind me of those plugins but with even more options and finally a free reverb that just work's well but simply. I'm a big fan of reaper's stock plugs, but these GUI'd plugs do make for really good workflow.

Thanks Steve!

Hi, I love both the effects and instruments bundles!

The effects work fine in Harrison Mixbus 4, and the instruments work fine in Savihost, but when I try to load one of the instruments in Mixbus 4 it crashes every time. Nothing seems to be in the Events Log, just standard crash information. Thanks for your time and effort!

Thanks again!

It seems version 1.5.7 was released on March, what's the changelog?

heavymetalmixer wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:51 pm It seems version 1.5.7 was released on March, what's the changelog?
Nothing much, just an additional config flag to allow meter update rates to be increased if required. This is really only of interest to users of certain DAWs (most notably Mixcraft), hence no general announcement.

Hello swatwork !!!

First of all, your plugins are amazing! They are part of my workflow and I love them !!
I wonder if your Channel Strip was based on some reference in hardware? There's some simulation or something.
Visually he remembers the strips of NEVE.

I would also like to talk about of the excellent work of our friend markp putting numbers in the interface of this plugin:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/155tHg6 ... sp=sharing

That was incredible! It really improved the usability. I have no idea how he did it but, maybe it would be nice to extend this to the other plugins, what do you think?

Could you upload an image of that? I dont want to download
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

is a link to download it. maybe you can see this link at the end of the discussion ...

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/dead-d ... k-software

but it's attached as it is:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks. The numbers are new?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

It is not an official implementation! It was made by our friend "markp".

I'm taking the idea to the developer, maybe he wants to implement the other plugins too, which would be great! :)

Yes the numbers sure help. Im sure he will implement it. :)

Hello! I just wanted to write in saying that I love these plugins and have been integrating a few of them into my workflow for a little while now.

I work in Linux full-time, and have been very successful with using these via LinVST, but I was wondering if there has been any consideration for compiling these as Linux VSTs as well?

I personally have been very pleased with the dead duck effect series. But, it's hard not to realize that there is a definitive and unique color that is attributed to the dead duck plugins, both realistic and sounding like that of a studio. But, as obtuse as it is; these days, most are trying to escape real sounding analog.

However, dead duck gets by and sounds good with this realism intact. That is why I am very respectful of the programmer and consider that individual a peer.

Return to “Effects”