u-he Hive 1.2 - free update - adds wavetables and more

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:40 pm Urs, I think out of all things Fluffy said, there is one (and exactly one) thing I agree with.

Semitone knob (for the sub) has weird scaling. I would expect that it would be quantized in semitones when moving it with mouse or via mousewheel (one mousewheel notch = one semitone). Then with Shift go all the places in between. Or at least make it scale like filter cutoff knob, one notch is half a semitone. This would make it much easier to hit whole semitone numbers just with mousewheel.

That makes sense to me. 0.40 as one mousewheel notch? Doesn't make a lot of sense, IMHO.
+1

Quick hack of adding voice stack to Hive. It works just like in Diva. :)

The above patch sounds MASSIVE (and diarrhoea inducing).
Last edited by EvilDragon on Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anything that can make heavily detuned and modern/aggressive sounds is good. Be it voicing or global unison, global detune...or all three together.

Well Hive is a lot more versatile than "heavy detuned modern/aggressive". :P

I know, but it would be nice if Urs would implement those options so we can do any type of sound we want, quick and easy. :)

There's no synth which does any type of sound you want, so...

I've been using Hive since 2015 having bought it whilst still in beta, and I've got about 9 rack extensions for Reason 7 created by UHE's I'd bought in years prior. Unfortunately they have become pretty redundant now..but to cut a long story short and in regard to Hive, and this is typically discussions I have about DAW's....

there is a few things which have bugged me interaction wise with Hive which has slowed me down during the times when deep in the production of a piece of music. Changing the values in the step sequencer brings up a huge white strip which stretches almost the entire height of my 1080P screen. Why can't you just click on the transpose value and rotate through them like the other values in the same way ? Currently the strip is not only quite ugly, but pretty slow and clunky to use in practice. It doesn't feel part of the integration of features. There is other aspects of the GUI that use this white pop up box, so here's an idea. How about using the information box that sits central at the top of the GUI to provide the information as you click and hold down the button and when deselecting the button, that's the option you select ? Essentially providing an alternate method of interaction..

In regard to the 2.1 upgrade, which I've not commented my thoughts on yet... from what I've played with thus far and managed to create with it, I have to say that I was really quite astounded with how different it sounded with the new wavetables but also with the new level of control to sculpt the sounds to turn Hive into a completely different sounding beast it's managed to meta-morph into.

I've been too busy to really spend much time exploring it in depth as my head has been in developing and updating GUI's for it whist solving many problems in the process of doing that. Still yet to manage to get stuff to work properly right with the themes folder... so still working in the primary folders and modifying that way. New folders with different images and names in the Animation folder (Bottom HC Tabs) whilst the original folder for them existed. Couldn't understand why images were't updating... stuff like that...

Other than... Hive 2.1 is great, and progressing well with updating it visually. :)
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:33 pm (BTW regarding that semitone knob mousewheel/scaling thing... it applies not only to Hive but all your other products which have tune/voice stack knobs that are +/- 24 semitones in range. So, Diva, Repro, Podolski, Tyrell... all of them with the same weird 0.40 step size. Zebra is the only one from what I can see that does it right with 1 semitone per step. EDIT: Aha, except in Comb oscillators, 0.40 there as well!)
It's something the UI designer can probably fix in the UI script.

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:10 pm Image

Quick hack of adding voice stack to Hive. It works just like in Diva. :)

The above patch sounds MASSIVE (and diarrhoea inducing).
hehehe, thankfully it won't save with preset though :lol: :lol: :lol:

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:20 pmChanging the values in the step sequencer brings up a huge white strip
Yes, I see what you mean. I personally dislike dragging "combo boxes" to change values. But that's for such boxes which have named values, not for boxes which are enumerated. I.e. I would never do dragging for a box which lets one select filter types. Simply because you don't know where you are in the list. If we didn't do it for enumerated boxes, it's for consistency reasons. But I think we did exceptions, such as the Velocity value. I don't see why we shouldn't do it for transpose as well. It was just never discussed or reqeusted, I guess...

Anyhow, I've been thinking of some more user choice for different input paradigms. Like, right-click for fine values rather than a contextual menu. Latter by modifier then. Stuff like that.

What do others think?

Hey I do like my Hive supersaws, they're just as huge as it can be. I dont think there's THAT much difference between say Serum, Hive, Dune for that type of sound. Especially when it's mixed in the context of a track you don't pay attention to each synths details anymore. I have the feeling that a lot of those topics are hyperbolic and not taking the song into account anyway.
Last edited by sinemotor on Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Urs wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:35 pm
THE INTRANCER wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:20 pmChanging the values in the step sequencer brings up a huge white strip
Yes, I see what you mean. I personally dislike dragging "combo boxes" to change values. But that's for such boxes which have named values, not for boxes which are enumerated. I.e. I would never do dragging for a box which lets one select filter types. Simply because you don't know where you are in the list. If we didn't do it for enumerated boxes, it's for consistency reasons. But I think we did exceptions, such as the Velocity value. I don't see why we shouldn't do it for transpose as well. It was just never discussed or reqeusted, I guess...

Anyhow, I've been thinking of some more user choice for different input paradigms. Like, right-click for fine values rather than a contextual menu. Latter by modifier then. Stuff like that.

What do others think?
Yeah... right click for fine values would work well, if there wasn't a right click contextual menu for them by default.

I know what you mean with regard to dragging combo boxes, I was just thinking it would be just an alternative method. In regard to that though, I had an alternative idea, and this is something that *Native Instruments Replica XT has, and that's to place the options such as those that are listed from the filters and modulations, directly in the Hexagon.
So you would have a Hexagon showing the various modulation source and destinations in a digram sort of way from a glance and perhaps to be able to interchange them easily as you can with the effects section of the main hexagon. Make options more visible and re-routing of what's been routed more clear.

*(When you click on the buttons in Replika, you can navigate through the different filter, modulation options as well as click on them within the display.)

Just some thoughts.... also.. some LFO control in the Hexagon would be a really creative and cool feature to have I think, using different waveform shapes you can manipulate.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

ok guys, i might have missed some settings, please correct me then, i never did such a sawtooth test and hear also differences! i initialized every synth and chose only the SAW tooth.

Hive (normal setting)
https://clyp.it/d2oxgugw

Sylenth
https://clyp.it/y1lh3ufu

Spire
https://clyp.it/4oi3owil

Avenger
https://clyp.it/wyrxg154

i dunno why they sound so different, especially spire, i guess the default filter? i dunno, this might be no representable test, so help me then please so i can present a neutral and 100% accurate test!

but maybe you need 2 tests, a default setting test and an adjusted one?
Last edited by Caine123 on Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123, on spire it looks like you have unison with stereo width active. Look to the right of the osc settings.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:20 pmthere is a few things which have bugged me interaction wise with Hive which has slowed me down during the times when deep in the production of a piece of music. Changing the values in the step sequencer brings up a huge white strip which stretches almost the entire height of my 1080P screen. Why can't you just click on the transpose value and rotate through them like the other values in the same way ? Currently the strip is not only quite ugly, but pretty slow and clunky to use in practice. It doesn't feel part of the integration of features.
Use mousewheel!
Urs wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:24 pmhehehe, thankfully it won't save with preset though :lol: :lol: :lol:
So I found out :(

So this stuff needs to be enabled as storable in presets from your side?

Return to “Instruments”