Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Harry_HH wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:39 am
mladi wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:22 am
kitekrazy wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:01 pm So their intro price is now over valued since they gave it away for free. 40 euros is too much now.
Totally agree. Would never pay for something other got for free a minute before. This "giving away for free thing" and then raising the price (now it's 33% off so it's even more then 40 EUR is totally stupid imo). :hihi:
Isn´t it a bit funny - is the "value" of things really that relative? If someone gets the same thing cheaper, in some part of the world, you are not willing to pay the higher price, i.e. the thing is devaluated?
If this is the case, can you imagine any (material inc. software), which have absolute value for you?
True but you probably won't see anyone paying list price for a Waves plugin anymore. I did suggest to Sono to those who didn't get it for free offer a nice discount to those who have their stuff.

That seems a good way to handle it and boost loyalty.

kitekrazy wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:01 pm So their intro price is now over valued since they gave it away for free. 40 euros is too much now.
Totally agree. Would never pay for something other got for free a minute before. This "giving away for free thing" and then raising the price (now it's 33% off so it's even more then 40 EUR is totally stupid imo). :hihi:
Isn´t it a bit funny - is the "value" of things really that relative? If someone gets the same thing cheaper, in some part of the world, you are not willing to pay the higher price, i.e. the thing is devaluated?
If this is the case, can you imagine any (material inc. software), which have absolute value for you?

That's right and yes, Software which you can't get for free or 90% off like Spectrasonics for example i personally count way higher for sure.
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

Tappistry wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:59 am
dzilizzi wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:43 pm Won't BC Patchwork let me use VST plugins in ProTools? It's been on my list for a while to get, but BC doesn't do much sales. It seems like it lets you combine instruments into cool things as well? I guess it is time for research.

Their MB-7 looks cool too.

These were not in my planned budget!
Yes, that's one of the main selling points for Patchwork: to be able to use VSTs in non-Vet hosts. (I believe you can also combine AU and VSTs in one instance of Patchwork if you're on OSX.)

I still find uses for Patchwork even though I use Reaper, like for making complex DIY channel strips. I also love using the standalone app as a non-DAW host for playing synths and layering effects and not wanting to record anything.
Thanks! I like ProTools more than other DAWs, but I end up with Cubase a lot because I have instruments that aren't AAX. I think I will grab it now.

mladi wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:44 pm

That's right and yes, Software which you can't get for free or 90% off like Spectrasonics for example i personally count way higher for sure.
But it isn't normally a Free item. This is a Christmas gift. Every year, they do a freebie. It used to be one of their more inexpensive libraries, but 3 years ago, they were really sweet to give the brand new Ostinato strings free to the first 1000 customers. So many complained they missed out, they gave out 3500 of the Ostinato Brass the next year and again this year with the Winds. It costs them a lot of money because they pay for an NI license. This isn't a freebie player library. It is NKS and registered with NI. So complaining about not getting a free library that you don't even think is worth 50% off is kind of annoying to hear. It is definitely worth the full price if it is a library you can use. And 33% off is the normal intro discount most companies do on new libraries. So really, I can see complaining because you missed the limited number freebie. But then saying it isn't worth the price because they once gave it away free is just wrong.

Digivolt wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:42 pm
sonokinetic wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:02 pm Sonokinetic 12 Days Of Christmas Day 5: One of our best sample libraries ever! “Sotto” 60% OFF at https://www.sonokinetic.net/sale?ref=kvr5
Does this library allow creation of own phrases via midi or are you strictly limited to just picking & mixing phrases within the library ?

I presume for what I'm asking ie total creative freedom it's better to go for Orchestral or Instrument series libraries ?
So, within the library, you are limited to their phrases that you can combine however you want. But you can drag and drop the midi into your DAW and use other instruments to play the same phrases and you can change them in your DAW. You just can't import them back into Sotto because it is actual played phrases that they have changed to midi for the drag and drop.

The great thing is, you can make the midi match whatever key you are using, so when you drag and drop it, it doesn't have to be transposed or anything.

Da Capo may still be on sale also - it is recorded in the same hall as the other libraries. But truthfully, Sonokinetics sound seems to match pretty well with other libraries.

dzilizzi wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:20 pm
dzilizzi wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:43 pm Won't BC Patchwork let me use VST plugins in ProTools? It's been on my list for a while to get, but BC doesn't do much sales. It seems like it lets you combine instruments into cool things as well? I guess it is time for research.

Yes, that's one of the main selling points for Patchwork: to be able to use VSTs in non-Vet hosts. (I believe you can also combine AU and VSTs in one instance of Patchwork if you're on OSX.)

I still find uses for Patchwork even though I use Reaper, like for making complex DIY channel strips. I also love using the standalone app as a non-DAW host for playing synths and layering effects and not wanting to record anything.
Thanks! I like ProTools more than other DAWs, but I end up with Cubase a lot because I have instruments that aren't AAX. I think I will grab it now.
Another option which I haven't tried yet (but I own it) is Akai's VIP 3.0. It's also mentioned in it's FAQ that it can host VSTs in Pro Tools.

If you look around, you should be able to get an unregistered serial for a good price (~$30) in the Sell & Buy section.

dzilizzi wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:30 pm

But it isn't normally a Free item. This is a Christmas gift. Every year, they do a freebie. It used to be one of their more inexpensive libraries, but 3 years ago, they were really sweet to give the brand new Ostinato strings free to the first 1000 customers. So many complained they missed out, they gave out 3500 of the Ostinato Brass the next year and again this year with the Winds. It costs them a lot of money because they pay for an NI license. This isn't a freebie player library. It is NKS and registered with NI. So complaining about not getting a free library that you don't even think is worth 50% off is kind of annoying to hear. It is definitely worth the full price if it is a library you can use. And 33% off is the normal intro discount most companies do on new libraries. So really, I can see complaining because you missed the limited number freebie. But then saying it isn't worth the price because they once gave it away free is just wrong.
I'm not sure if these guys are pissing and moaning because they didn't get their freebie, or if they're just joking around. I missed the first one, the strings, but I was able to get the brass and winds. I bought the strings when they were discounted, gladly. These are high quality libraries. Just because some lucky dude wins a Corvette once in a while does not render the Corvette worthless.

This generosity is anything but stupid. It's very generous on the part of Sonokinetic (many thanks), and on top of that, it's a brilliant marketing strategy. I'd be willing to bet they have gained many purchasing customers who are able to hear the quality of their instruments in the flesh.

dzilizzi wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:42 pm
Digivolt wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:42 pm
sonokinetic wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:02 pm Sonokinetic 12 Days Of Christmas Day 5: One of our best sample libraries ever! “Sotto” 60% OFF at https://www.sonokinetic.net/sale?ref=kvr5
Does this library allow creation of own phrases via midi or are you strictly limited to just picking & mixing phrases within the library ?

I presume for what I'm asking ie total creative freedom it's better to go for Orchestral or Instrument series libraries ?
So, within the library, you are limited to their phrases that you can combine however you want. But you can drag and drop the midi into your DAW and use other instruments to play the same phrases and you can change them in your DAW. You just can't import them back into Sotto because it is actual played phrases that they have changed to midi for the drag and drop.

The great thing is, you can make the midi match whatever key you are using, so when you drag and drop it, it doesn't have to be transposed or anything.

Da Capo may still be on sale also - it is recorded in the same hall as the other libraries. But truthfully, Sonokinetics sound seems to match pretty well with other libraries.
It's something I'll have to put on my wish list then, thanks for the info :tu:

You won’t be disappointed. :)

Tappistry wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:26 am

You won’t be disappointed. :)
I'm sure I won't. I've been looking at it for a while. :)

musicalwarmth812 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:30 am
dzilizzi wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:30 pm

I'm not sure if these guys are pissing and moaning because they didn't get their freebie, or if they're just joking around. I missed the first one, the strings, but I was able to get the brass and winds. I bought the strings when they were discounted, gladly. These are high quality libraries. Just because some lucky dude wins a Corvette once in a while does not render the Corvette worthless.

This generosity is anything but stupid. It's very generous on the part of Sonokinetic (many thanks), and on top of that, it's a brilliant marketing strategy. I'd be willing to bet they have gained many purchasing customers who are able to hear the quality of their instruments in the flesh.
I already have a few of their libraries, and I didn't particularly want another orchestral woodwinds section, but gratitude for the freebie helped put me over the edge on buying the oud. (Meanwhile, irritation with Plugin Alliance has led me to not buy several things this month I thought I would probably buy....)

I understand the salt. To add to the salt, I easily managed to get a key and I don't even have the slightest affinity with orchestra or soundtrack. My apologies.

I do think it's amazing. If you can get a copy on discount go for it. This is nothing like Waves, Air Music Tech, PA or any other recurring offers. It's a one time thing.

kingryan wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:59 am I understand the salt. To add to the salt, I easily managed to get a key and I don't even have the slightest affinity with orchestra or soundtrack. My apologies.

I do think it's amazing. If you can get a copy on discount go for it. This is nothing like Waves, Air Music Tech, PA or any other recurring offers. It's a one time thing.
Exactly cheesehead, exactly...

musicalwarmth812 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:13 am
kingryan wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:59 am I understand the salt. To add to the salt, I easily managed to get a key and I don't even have the slightest affinity with orchestra or soundtrack. My apologies.

Exactly cheesehead, exactly...
I'm not white :shrug:

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”