Spectral FFT reverb

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ah_Dziz wrote:
Neon Breath wrote:
Ah_Dziz wrote: It's just cool because you can put it in an awesome spectral processing chain and choose what part of the frequency spectrum it effects.

JJ
This + the fact that by changing the FFT bank size from 128 to 8192 you can drastically change the tone & color of the reverb, that's what I like. So I was wondering if there were other similar spectral reverbs existing, but it doesn't look like it.
I would guess that changing the FFT size has an effect on the lengths of the delays inside the algorithm and that's where the drastic change in tone comes from. Since you seem to enjoy playing with modular stuff I would recommend making a reverb in Reaktor or some other modular doodad and then setting a parameter to scale the delay network globally. This can yeild pretty awesome results even if it's not the same thing exactly.
There are a few modules in Spectrumworx where the window size behaves like you mention, especially the ones that manipulate phase only. Decreasing window size is almost analogous to turning up the grain generation rate in a granular synth in these processes. The reverb and delay modules (with the possible exception of one) in Spectrumworx do seem to be resynthesising the delay line though. The sounds that come out of the delay lines in particular exhibit all the usual trade-offs in terms of frequency/time resolution at different window sizes. All the delay and reverb modules also have a pitchshifter in the feedback path, and you can hear the classic FFT artifacts particularly clearly when this is engaged.

Old thread that is worth resurrecting I think because of a new plugin.

Since spectral reverb is quite a rare animal, I'd like to add into the list of tools that can achieve reverb in the frequency domain, Spexx from Re-Compose. It is indeed pretty good at that and seems almost tailormade for that. With its freeze stage that captures and accumulates the incoming sound, you can create some quite bizarre spectral reverb and huge velvet washes. Check it out :D

Adaptiverb?

MTurboreverb and I think MTransformer can do this.

FFT bank Specular for Permut8

Return to “Effects”