New Mac Mini

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kaine wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:45 am There are loads of cloning programs out there that should be suitable, I use Clonezilla, Acronis and Paragon regularlly.
I'm pretty aware of cloning tools and used them myself often...
Chargable solutions "Casper disk backup" will run like an Apple timemachine backup, running a live backup that you can switch out and boot another machine from with ease.
Yeah, this is more what I've been talking about. But I have not seen anyone doing it with much success yet - it still seems to me that the most often cited thing would be like "new machine, fresh install". Has been like that in Windows land for ages - but I'd happily be proven wrong, maybe they have sorted that out by now.
Anyhow, this is something that really couldn't be easier than in Apples ecosystem. Clone drive (using whatever tool, there's a galore of free options), boot more or less any other Mac straight from it. The only two exeptions being way too old systems or systems not compatible with Mojave (but all more or less recent Macs are, plus, most people are still sticking with Sierra or High Sierra).
In a nutshell, I could simply clone my Mac Pros drive and head over to any studio running a Mac, boot from my clone and have everything 100% my way (sure, I would possibly have to install drivers for the used audio interface, but that's a matter of a minute), no restrictions or whatsoever. And in case my machine blew up, I'd get a new one, boot from my clone drive and be back up and running in literally no time (others than the time needed to get a new machine).
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

I just ordered the new Mac mini i7 with 8GB ram. I plan to upgrade later to more ram. How important is ram for music production?

And can I hopefully finally run more than 4-5 U-HE diva & repro instances? :D

^^^ ram is important for storing more samples; cores are important for calculating more synth instances
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

Ok perfect. Currently not working that much with samples. Only for drums, but not really synth samples.

8GB RAM actually aren't all too bad. But in case you're keeping plenty of programs open all the time, additional RAM will likely make the overall feel of the computer a more pleasant experience (apart from the already mentioned samples, which are - at least partially - going to your RAM as well).

^^^Yes. If you have multi-programs open with more ram, your computer will be accessing the hard drive for storage less often, creating a more 'snappy' experience for each little program change, etc that adds up second-by-second to a more 'pleasant' workflow.
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

Anyone else having issues with theirs and Ableton 10 crackling? I’ve wiped it and clean reinstalled but am getting crackles with barely anything heavy running - ABL3, Abbey Road Master on the master buss. Thing is, the cpu meter is all over the place but the activity meter isn’t showing any of the cores even close to maxed out. I can run Diva or Repro ok but only a couple of instances. Coming from a quad i7 MacBook retina 2012 it seems barely better, if not worse. Interfaces I’ve tried are Behringer 1820 and Maschine mk3 and lowest I can get is 256 before crackles.

i7 / 512gb / 8gb and seems a bit disappointing.

gunark wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:56 pm Anyone else having issues with theirs and Ableton 10 crackling? I’ve wiped it and clean reinstalled but am getting crackles with barely anything heavy running - ABL3, Abbey Road Master on the master buss. Thing is, the cpu meter is all over the place but the activity meter isn’t showing any of the cores even close to maxed out. I can run Diva or Repro ok but only a couple of instances. Coming from a quad i7 MacBook retina 2012 it seems barely better, if not worse. Interfaces I’ve tried are Behringer 1820 and Maschine mk3 and lowest I can get is 256 before crackles.

Not trying to belittle your choices of interfaces or anything. but have you tried something coming with truly decent drivers? Not sure about Maschine, but Behringer isn't exactly a hot shot when it comes to driver programming, they're basically using class compliance and Core Audio.
I had to buy a straight 2 I/O interface for my home setup recently and compared the umc404hd to the Zoom UAC-2 - a difference almost like night and day. The Behringer was actually working fine but the Zoom simply kicked its a** big time.

Sascha Franck wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:43 pm
gunark wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:56 pm Anyone else having issues with theirs and Ableton 10 crackling? I’ve wiped it and clean reinstalled but am getting crackles with barely anything heavy running - ABL3, Abbey Road Master on the master buss. Thing is, the cpu meter is all over the place but the activity meter isn’t showing any of the cores even close to maxed out. I can run Diva or Repro ok but only a couple of instances. Coming from a quad i7 MacBook retina 2012 it seems barely better, if not worse. Interfaces I’ve tried are Behringer 1820 and Maschine mk3 and lowest I can get is 256 before crackles.

Not trying to belittle your choices of interfaces or anything. but have you tried something coming with truly decent drivers? Not sure about Maschine, but Behringer isn't exactly a hot shot when it comes to driver programming, they're basically using class compliance and Core Audio.
I had to buy a straight 2 I/O interface for my home setup recently and compared the umc404hd to the Zoom UAC-2 - a difference almost like night and day. The Behringer was actually working fine but the Zoom simply kicked its a** big time.
Normally I’d agree but it was rock solid with my MacBook and regularly was at 64 or 128 latency, and it’s a well regarded interface (as Behringer goes, class compliant and works fine). So it’s not the interface. In fact the old inbuilt MacBook audio did better than this. I’ve done more research and there are a few experiencing issues with the new Mac Mini audio and there are a few users issues with fingers being pointed at the t2 chip. Hopefully it’ll be an update then as I don’t want to change machines again, especially as this should be all I want.

Class compliance is a good thing, really.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I'm using the onboard drivers. I don't see how an audio interface provides better than Core Audio native. This is not windows and ASIO.
I actually bought a steinberg interface because I use the Steinberg DAWs. It may have not been as good. But this is a really fast computer and after a _little_ research I didn't feel like throwing money at an abstract problem I didn't quite believe in anymore. My performance is the best by far I've ever had, at any rate.

Jace-BeOS wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:21 am Class compliance is a good thing, really.
It is. Not offering dedicated drivers is a bad thing, though.

jancivil wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:09 am I'm using the onboard drivers. I don't see how an audio interface provides better than Core Audio native.
They just do. Almost always. Core Audio isn't all that much better than ASIO4All.

I used to believe in this kind of thing. I'd need more than an assertion 'it just is' to put money into it, being that I have some heavy projects up with no audio breakups and I can perform the parts in live accurately. :shrug:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”