3am - tyuiop (dark and dubby)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

YouTube
https://youtu.be/4r-SXU5wzQw

Soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/justin3am/tyuiop

MP3
https://www.3amnoise.net/tyuiop.mp3

Dark, dubby and damaged. First track with Waldorf Quantum. Sequenced with Elektron Octatrack. Make Noise Tempi/Rene V2 controls Shared System, Audio Damage Seq1 controls 0-Coast. Also MiniBrute2 (also sequenced by Octatrack).

Not a one take performance, this time. I wanted to experiment with video editing and tempo synced transitions. I think it came out okay but I should have gotten more shots to keep things interesting.

The piece itself is pretty simple, I think I used two notes throughout the whole thing (maybe 3). :hihi: I was going for a lo-fi tone, especially for the bass. The Koma Field Kit FX helped pull that off.

I created a few patches for the Quantum and this one just inspired me to record. I'm also learning how to change sequences on the Seq1 and Rene v2, from the Octatrack. So now the Octrack drives my modular sequencers, in addition to all the MIDI gear.

Hope you all are enjoying the holidays... Or at least I hope you had a pleasant Thursday.

my kind of minimal ...
thoroughly enjoyed ...

Cool dark grooves with blinky lights. Perfect for late night listening. 8)

Thanks for listening!

If we're going to have sinthesiser music, it should be more like this.

I know you play guitar (I've seen it!) and thought the odd one chord massively delayed/spring reverb reggae skank might sound good very occasionally on this?

Thanks Benny! I did consider laying down some guitar parts but you have to understand that I'm actually very lazy. Instead of guitar parts, I decided to just lay down... I mean lie down.

I'd like to work on some reggae stuff again in the future. When I lived in Long Beach, I tracked bunch of reggae groups but most of them were trying to sound more like Sublime than King Tubby or Toots and the Maytals. First I have to finish editing/mixing the stuff I've been working on with debra1rlo! :oops:

Amazing. Great mix. You must've worked your ass off making this video, just on the video end.

that was effin awesome!
that quantum is sounding pretty sweet too :tu:

jancivil wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:59 am Amazing. Great mix. You must've worked your ass off making this video, just on the video end.
Thanks! It felt like a lot of work but only because most of my experience with video production is almost two decades old now. I learned on SVHS/Beta decks and an old Media Composer rig that no one at the school knew how to use.

I started using DeVinci Resolve for video editing last year and I'm very impressed, it's quite capable. I know that I can do better, I just need to put the time in, learning the tools. I really need to get more familiar with my camera.

vurt wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:10 pm that was effin awesome!
that quantum is sounding pretty sweet too :tu:
Thanks! I agree. It's very satisfying to be able to dive in to a new instrument and immediately get interesting new sounds. I think I'll get a lot of mileage from the Quantum.

I have DaVinci Resolve purely to stick 24-bit audio in, because Steinberg killed 'Replace Audio in Video' last year. Now I started learning it because I needed a time stretch, a very tiny amt of work and I didn't want to go into FCP just to render the little clip and come back. The Touchbar on this new MBP reveals the basic moves for both which is cool. But I'm a novice at it, even doing it for a few yrs. I'd have to RTFM, you know. I never get down so far into it to even deal with KeyFrame.

Yeah, video is a completely different set of skills. I had been using iMovie and was looking at Premier and FCP when I became aware or DaVinci Resolve. Even the free version gives me room to learn and grow.

Enjoyed this. Nice quirky stuff with cool sounds. Good job on video too.
Well done!
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

justin3am wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:09 am Yeah, video is a completely different set of skills. I had been using iMovie and was looking at Premier and FCP when I became aware or DaVinci Resolve. Even the free version gives me room to learn and grow.
DaVinci Resolve looks interesting. I have been using iMovie but also Motion for cool effects. Can you do good effects within Resolve?
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

sounds good, i really dig the perc and atmo...:tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Return to “Music Cafe”