u-he Hive 1.2 - free update - adds wavetables and more

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

Urs wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:43 amwhich gamifies (is that a word?)
Yes, it's a word!

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/gamify
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamification

isn't gamification if you don't see the doctor about that cut? and it goes "gammy"?
it suffers from gamification :hihi:

Urs wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:22 pm Well, Hive has effectively 4 oscillators, so I don't see why it's difficult to do chords...?

Additionally, some of the wavetables have some pure chords, and we can easily make a wavetable which adds lots of chord varieties in various waveforms. Those wavetables might not be tuned to the fundamental, i.e. the oscillator might need to get tuned down until the base note of the wavetable hist the fundamental of the note played.

And also, I'm going to experiment with scale-based quantization on "side level", i.e. a choice of scale in the tune section (probably right on the keyboard) and modulation targets for KeyFollow 1/2 (Osc1/VCF1 <-> Osc2/VCF2), chromatic or diatonic before the quantizer. This would enable interval-based presets and sequences which are always in tune. (Arturia beat me to it in Pigments, but I did have this planned for a long time)
You certainly can do chords, but I wish you would replace the sub oscillator knob with a pull down menu with preset values. That is one thing that really drives me crazy about Hive's GUI. Trying to enter a value like a 5th (7 semi-tones) is an exercise in frustration with a mouse, even when using the shift key. I can't even enter a numerical value on the keyboard. I really don't see any use for having detune values other than integers anyway.

tony10000 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:08 pmI can't even enter a numerical value on the keyboard. I really don't see any use for having detune values other than integers anyway.
Depending on what host you use, simply click the tune knob once (as if dragging), then type 7 and press enter. Or, just press + until you're there.

Doesn't work in Logic though...

Urs wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:13 pm
tony10000 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:08 pmI can't even enter a numerical value on the keyboard. I really don't see any use for having detune values other than integers anyway.
Depending on what host you use, simply click the tune knob once (as if dragging), then type 7 and press enter. Or, just press + until you're there.

of course it doesnt. :D
tony10000 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:08 pm I really don't see any use for having detune values other than integers anyway.

why, for creating fat detuned sounds. !

Urs wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:43 am
Examigan wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:42 pm You mentioned Massive and Spire, but I wonder if you've checked out Audiaire's Zone synth?
This is why I want to try a playful approach which gamifies (is that a word?) complexity. You simply don't have any control beyond the simplicity of the modules and the logic of your patch. Little changes have big impact and cater for moments of surprise. What I hope for is, swapping meticulous control for instant variety, and thus tediousness for fun.
I like the idea. I spent some years with, a now big, eurorack setup. I learned alot during this period. One thing I learned is how useful controllable pseudo-randomness can be, for me its important to keep the fun in the creative stage.. Some things I would really like to have in my softsynths (or daw) are things like generation of circadian rhythms, polyrhyhtms in the SEQ/arp area. Maybe even independant lanes of notes/CC's. Another idea is unusual LFOs/loopable ADs.
As I write this.. I realize that I should really switch to Bitwig. (19 years of Cubase isnt easy to drop)...

It works in FL Studio but not in Ableton Live. :-(

Maybe a bunch of devs could get together to fund a 10,000 prize for the most ridiculously over the top synth patch of the year. That way people could enjoy the art of the complex synth patch without it getting in the way of usable synth presets.

Call it The Golden Finger Award :hihi:

It would be better if you had a pull down for setting integer values and leaving the knob for finer control.

tony10000 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:46 am

It would be better if you had a pull down for setting integer values and leaving the knob for finer control.
Or you could keep the knob and have it dial up integer values in its default setting, and when you hit shift, it would go into fine mode.

tony10000 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:08 pm You certainly can do chords, but I wish you would replace the sub oscillator knob with a pull down menu with preset values. That is one thing that really drives me crazy about Hive's GUI. Trying to enter a value like a 5th (7 semi-tones) is an exercise in frustration with a mouse, even when using the shift key. I can't even enter a numerical value on the keyboard. I really don't see any use for having detune values other than integers anyway.
I don't want a pull down menu. I often want slightly off tune values.

Also, I find it no trouble to enter a value of a 5th or 7th... don't use the shift key, just drag with the mouse. It moves in .2 increments. You cannot miss a 5th. Maybe there is something wrong with your mouse?

pdxindy wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:25 am
tony10000 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:08 pm You certainly can do chords, but I wish you would replace the sub oscillator knob with a pull down menu with preset values. That is one thing that really drives me crazy about Hive's GUI. Trying to enter a value like a 5th (7 semi-tones) is an exercise in frustration with a mouse, even when using the shift key. I can't even enter a numerical value on the keyboard. I really don't see any use for having detune values other than integers anyway.

Also, I find it no trouble to enter a value of a 5th or 7th... don't use the shift key, just drag with the mouse. It moves in .2 increments. You cannot miss a 5th. Maybe there is something wrong with your mouse?
It works fine if you want to put your mouse in slow mode. But I like to keep my pointer speed in fast or normal mode to confine mouse movement. In those modes, it over and undershoots constantly. Very annoying! I really don't like mousing around for those kind of tasks. I would rather have a pull down or direct numerical entry. Much easier and functionally more elegant.

tony10000 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:20 am
pdxindy wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:25 am

It works fine if you want to put your mouse in slow mode. But I like to keep my pointer speed in fast or normal mode to confine mouse movement. In those modes, it over and undershoots constantly. Very annoying! I really don't like mousing around for those kind of tasks. I would rather have a pull down or direct numerical entry. Much easier and functionally more elegant.
I took a look at how some of my other synths handle this. Sylenth uses a pulldown menu with integer values, Dune 3 uses coarse and fine knobs (coarse values are integer). Serum has three mouseover controls per oscillator (coarse, semi, fine). And Spire has a nice pulldown with octaves and 15 musical useful intervals under the unison mode.

I wish we could change the slow mode on the fly in u-he plugins. Right now you always need to have Shift held before you click on the knob. If you press Shift during regular mouse drag on the knob it doesn't do anything. Kinda uncool :)

cnt wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:59 pm I spent some years with, a now big, eurorack setup. I learned alot during this period. One thing I learned is how useful controllable pseudo-randomness can be, for me its important to keep the fun in the creative stage.. Some things I would really like to have in my softsynths (or daw) are things like generation of circadian rhythms, polyrhyhtms in the SEQ/arp area. Maybe even independant lanes of notes/CC's. Another idea is unusual LFOs/loopable ADs.
That's exactly where I come from.

A Hive 2 example patch idea: Run a triangle LFO off sync, but reset on key press. In the ModMatrix, sample & hold the LFO in sync. This results in an endless sequence of values which more or less repeats exactly the same with each key press. Adjusting the LFO rate controls the randomness of the sequence, with sweetspots of repeating and evolving patterns.

Return to “Instruments”