searching for advice on sampler/sampling

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am looking for a system (hard or software) that can do the following.
- Sampling sounds from my hardware synths.
- Do a pitch shift without speeding up or slowing down the sample.
- Tweaking the sample in real time with effects/ADSR/LFO/ENV/FILTERS
- playing at least 64 voices with these samples

Can anyone advise me on this?

Would for ex an akaiS6000 be a good choice to do that?
Or any software VST that is made to do this?

My daw is bitwig 2.4 and i have al lot of analog gear, most of them are monophonic and via sampling i would be able to make the sounds polyphonic?

Warm regards

Not to be condescending, but have you tried sampling directly into Bitwig through your audio interface? As you may know, they recently revamped the sampler.

Here is a tutorial series they are still adding to: https://www.bitwig.com/en/community/lea ... orial.html

According to my tests, the sampler in bitwig cannot pitch shift without changing speed of the sample. So that's not really what i am looking for

:-)

Win or mac?
Not a lot of samplers time-stretch.

someone did this:
viewtopic.php?t=489584

maybe this?
http://www.newsonicarts.com/html/nuance.php
been a while since i tried it tho.

Kontakt, Falcon or HALion. Any one of the three can do that. TAL Sampler can do that too.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:05 pm Kontakt, Falcon or HALion. Any one of the three can do that. TAL Sampler can do that too.
Oh right. I completely forgot about those powerhouses. :D
I thought HALion was only embedded with cubase... gotta recheck it.

I tried Tal Sampler, but also there i don't see how it can do pitchshifting without changing speed of sample ...
Maybe you can help me out how to do this in Tal sampler?

That's another approach indeed, but in fact i don't want a one on one sample copy of the original instrument.. That's to static..

But indeed that will work for assigning every note to a sample of the instrument :-)

free_hawk_03 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:29 pm I tried Tal Sampler, but also there i don't see how it can do pitchshifting without changing speed of sample ...
It has a 'warp' mode that can be turned on for each layer, and has two choices, 'cyclic' -- sounds like an old akai sampler and 'intelligent' for a cleaner sound. That said, this probably isn't really what you're looking for; TAL Sampler is very much designed as a Retro Akai / Emu style sampler from 80s / 90s.

For your purposes I'd honestly just use Kontakt. There's a bit of a learning curve to get along with the inner-portion of Kontakt but I've found it's worth it.

-M

And there are no hardware samplers that can do this?
Just curious

sounds like a massive manual job

sample at least 5 notes per octave, edit, map etc etc and do this for each preset....

there is nothing that can do this automatically very well.

free_hawk_03 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:29 pm I tried Tal Sampler, but also there i don't see how it can do pitchshifting without changing speed of sample ...
Manual, page 11 - Stretch option.

"Stretch allows it to change the tempo of the sample without changing the pitch. It is done in real-time without any pre-calculations. After stretch is enabled, the sample will be played with the same length for all pitches. (* see limitations in stretch).

PARAMETERS

Stretch:
Stretch allows it to change the tempo without affecting the pitch. It’s possible to make it infinitely slow (staying at the same position) up to twice the speed.

Density:
Density allows it to change the grain size. This is currently no real-time parameter and will change after you hit a new note. It allows some fine tuning to find the best or most special sounding spot
"
Last edited by fmr on Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

free_hawk_03 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:17 am And there are no hardware samplers that can do this?
Just curious
I think the Emulator 4 series could do that. But those were (and possibly still are) very expensive. This is, in fact, granular synthesis, therefore any sampler that can do granular will be able to do this.

Bear in mind that granular can severely degrade quality. The sample will no longer sound "realistic". The best ones for granular synthesis, right now, are Falcon and HALion, by a long shot.
Fernando (FMR)

double post
Last edited by moshimoshi on Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”