Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

aMUSEd wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:25 pm ..very few patches make use of both layers, not to mention the 12 LFOs per layer.
i agree.
i only recently started to explore all this stuff and i've had this in my plugins for a few years now.
it's very well laid out, more than any other vsti i can think off...

Thanks to everyone involved, this is a very nice synth that I seem to have completely missed back in the day.

Thank you very much for your hard work!! Surge is awesome.
La Selección "Definitiva" de Software Musical Gratuito
https://selecciondefinitiva.wordpress.com/

32 and 64 bit? Just checking before I download the demo.

wagtunes wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:37 pm 32 and 64 bit? Just checking before I download the demo.
there's no demo, it's free nowadays.
the pre-built versions are all 64bit.

esaruoho wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:48 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:37 pm 32 and 64 bit? Just checking before I download the demo.
there's no demo, it's free nowadays.
the pre-built versions are all 64bit.
Thanks.

Surge is growing on me! ;-)

I'm currently using Surge 1.6 as a VST2 in Live 10.0.5, Mac OS 10.12.6 Sierra on a MB Air 6,2, with the internal soundcard (since I'm travelling). I've noticed some strange issues with a couple of the factory patches.

So far, I've found this 'unintended behaviour' on the following presets.

Category: Keyboard
Circus 2 (but not Circus)
Organ 3 (but not Organ 1 or 2)
Category: Monosynth
Cell

I noticed the 'strangeness' first when playing 'Circus 2', which is polyphonic. I got sharp, digital clicks when playing legato. Later, I instead got 'squeaks' and exploring further, I got all kinds of funny sounds when playing two notes simultaneous – for example, an overlaid tone that kept on rising, like a signal generator. Playing 'Circus 2' monophonically and detached sounds normal.

'Organ 3' displayed similar unexpected antics and 'Cell', although monophonic, produced intermittent clicks, like those I first noticed with 'Circus 2'.

It would be interesting to know if somebody else has found something similar. I haven't tested the AU version yet, since I'm using FCP on the same machine and am keeping its AU arsenal at a minimum.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:09 am So far, I've found this 'unintended behaviour' on the following presets.
Category: Keyboard
Circus 2 (but not Circus)
Organ 3 (but not Organ 1 or 2)
Category: Monosynth
Cell

I noticed the 'strangeness' first when playing 'Circus 2', which is polyphonic. I got sharp, digital clicks when playing legato. Later, I instead got 'squeaks' and exploring further, I got all kinds of funny sounds when playing two notes simultaneous – for example, an overlaid tone that kept on rising, like a signal generator. Playing 'Circus 2' monophonically and detached sounds normal.

'Organ 3' displayed similar unexpected antics and 'Cell', although monophonic, produced intermittent clicks, like those I first noticed with 'Circus 2'.

It would be interesting to know if somebody else has found something similar. I haven't tested the AU version yet, since I'm using FCP on the same machine and am keeping its AU arsenal at a minimum.

/Joachim
thanks heaps! this was really informative. i have tried a homebuilt "newest version" and with Circus2 +Logic Pro X + AU I was not able to get the clicks to appear. I am familiar with the clicks, however, i know what you're talking about. there was a ticket about it, and it got fixed and closed. now with Circus 2 + Renoise + VST2, I'm not getting clicks to appear when playing multiple (4-6) notes at the same time.

not getting the clicks & cuts with organ3 either.

so, yep, some of the glitchy/clicky cutty bugs have been addressed in the 8th January 2019 build that is available on the Kzantow website. https://kzantow.github.io/surge/

Also, we have a Slack now : https://surgesynth.slack.com/join/share ... OI_hOEImUc

p.s. thanks a LOT for writing the bugreport properly, it was really easy to follow and not the usual forum quality of "hey so dude this clicks".

hi, i was find some bug (win7 64bit, Reaper 5.967 64 bit, Surge 8/01/2019 64 bit)

Reaper incorrect show (and use) last touched controller (for automatisation and modulation),
when I click button "param". Anybody have same isue?

gazzz wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:11 pm hi, i was find some bug (win7 64bit, Reaper 5.967 64 bit, Surge 8/01/2019 64 bit)

Reaper incorrect show (and use) last touched controller (for automatisation and modulation),
when I click button "param". Anybody have same isue?
this is similar to the aMUSEd error, and an error i have been having when binding parameters into DAW from Surge, where twiddling a knob in Surge will result in two automation knob binds in DAW. it is being looked at currently.

in case you or aMUSEd wanna look at the conversation, check this ticket out:
https://github.com/kurasu/surge/issues/247

Saukar30 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:29 am Im wayyyy late to the party on this (i have the 2nd version of Surge that was uploaded on Github and haven't kept up with the changes), and I dont know if its still an issue or not, but when browsing through the presets one by one starting from the 1st category, there were about 5 or 6 presets that caused my DAWs to crash. I checked in Reaper, FLStudio, Cakewalk, Reason, AKAI MPC, Orion; 32 & 64 bit, same presets. They were different presets in I believe the Bass, Keys & Atmosphere categories (if not those, then definitely whichever the 1st 3 are). There could be more but I ran out of time to test. I didn't see anything familiar about the presets such as which wavetable, filters, or parameters that were in common. Again, this was with the 2nd build of Surge as open source and I uavent touched it since then.

If these have been addressed, I apologize for bringing it up and the vague information regarding it. My hard drive crashed on New Yeras and I just got it back up and running again
are you able to see this issue happen still, and could you point to a specific two presets that, when loaded, cause a crash? that does sound pretty horrible. but Bass, Keys and Atmospheres are huge!

Examigan wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:55 am It was working for me for about 3 minutes, but then as I was switching between presets it crashed my DAW.
I'm using the 64-bit version.
Can ya be more specific.. which operating system, which DAW.
and which presets were you switching between? Were you using the +/- buttons, or were you playing notes with MIDI then at the same time clicking and switching presets?

can you try the newest 11th january 2019 build at https://kzantow.github.io/surge/ and see if it happens still?

mutantdog wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:21 pm Some problem here with no GUI in Live 10 on Win10
can ya try the 11th january 2019 (or newer) build at https://kzantow.github.io/surge/ and see if it still happens?

EDIT: posted about posting a github ticket about a feature that actually did work nowadays, so editing out ;)
Last edited by esaruoho on Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

esaruoho wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:05 pm
mutantdog wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:21 pm Some problem here with no GUI in Live 10 on Win10
can ya try the 11th january 2019 (or newer) build at https://kzantow.github.io/surge/ and see if it still happens?
This issue was resolved with one of the 1.6 builds.

Return to “Instruments”