DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

The FX section is bypassed when set to OFF.

I'm not sure what you mean by a mode where "the filters are actually in series". They are in series, in any of the series cascades. Try this: First Filter = Lowpass, Second Filter = Highpass, Filter Balance = Center, Cutoffs linked. The result is a bandpass filter just as you would expect.

For clarification, here's the signal flow of the (new) series filter:

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

i just reinstalled dune3 to go over this with you guys. when filters are in series, they pass through filter 1 to filter 2. they are in series. that means when filter 1 is closed... there is no signal going to filter 2. if i want to pass a signal through a low pass, and then take that signal and pass it through another filter... this is what series filters is. I guess it can be done in center balance, just i mean... why do they get thrown back into parallel if you take them out of center balance? is it a resource saving thing?

Dasheesh wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:08 pm i just reinstalled dune3 to go over this with you guys. when filters are in series, they pass through filter 1 to filter 2. they are in series. that means when filter 1 is closed... there is no signal going to filter 2. if i want to pass a signal through a low pass, and then take that signal and pass it through another filter... this is what series filters is. I guess it can be done in center balance, just i mean... why do they get thrown back into parallel if you take them out of center balance? is it a resource saving thing?
why in series are you moving the balance at all?
that doesn't make sense.

because i don't want to hear 2 filters when in series, that's what parallel is for.

Dasheesh wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:13 pm because i don't want to hear 2 filters when in series, that's what parallel is for.
what?
but series suggests, more than one, chained.
but the balance at centre gives you this, then moving the balance, tells the machine "he wants a blend"

i mean, this is how every other dual filter synth on the planet works guys. all of them. only one that does this same kind of thing that i know of is arcsyn. which has this mind boggling dual mix dual filter going on. i have no idea why you would do it that way, but... every other dual filter synthesizer in series gives you the output of filter one into filter two. i guess it has the same end result if you can just accept it lol.

edit: now i'm all flustered.

Okay, maybe I'm an idiot (actually I am an idiot so let's take that as a given) but how do you even put Dune 3 into parallel mode?

My understanding of parallel is that you can have two oscillators, A and B, and have one OSC feed into filter X and another OSC feed into filter Y and filter X and Y have no affect on each other. That's my understanding of parallel filters. Each one separate.

Dune 3's filters, from what I can tell, are in series, period. There is no way to have OSC 1 go into one filter and OSC 2 go into another filter.

So what exactly are we arguing about here that Dune 3 does or doesn't do?

If it's that it doesn't do parallel filtering, oh well, that's life.

Otherwise, I am totally confused.

no wags, you've got the argument backwards :lol:
he says it moves to parallel mode when he moves the balance in series.
so it does both, just hes using it wrong and expecting a certain result :hihi:

alright lol... in parallel mode, you route the oscillators to both filters. either both oscillators, or you can in a lot of synths route osc. 1 to one filter and osc 2 to another filter. ideally this is done with a filter balance IN THE OSC SECTION. in series.. both oscillators are routed through filter 1 into filter 2.

edit! sorry, my wife walked in on me internet ranting while i was typing.

i gotta go. family life happening.

vurt wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:30 pm no wags, you've got the argument backwards :lol:
he says it moves to parallel mode when he moves the balance in series.
so it does both, just hes using it wrong and expecting a certain result :hihi:
But does it move to parallel mode? I don't see any way for me to take OSC A, feed it to filter X and then take OSC B and feed it to filter Y.

If it's possible, somebody please show me how.

THAT to me is parallel filtering, side by side, each one processing a different OSC or processing both oscillators two different ways.

wagtunes wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:23 pm Dune 3's filters, from what I can tell, are in series, period. There is no way to have OSC 1 go into one filter and OSC 2 go into another filter.
That's almost correct. Almost because you can simply achieve that effect by using two voices (layers). Many of the more complex patches in Dune 2/3 work exactly this way, so e.g. first layer has a lowpass filter, second a bandpass filter, etc.

If you view it from the perspective of a single layer/voice you are entirely correct though. The parallel routing option in the dual filter is for situations where you want to treat all oscillators+noise in a layer together with a dual parallel filter.

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Dasheesh wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:17 pm every other dual filter synthesizer in series gives you the output of filter one into filter two.
In Dune 3, to make this true, set Balance to Center, while using 1 of the 3 serial configs (the 4th being Parallel Filters in series with FX).

Richard_Synapse wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:43 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:23 pm Dune 3's filters, from what I can tell, are in series, period. There is no way to have OSC 1 go into one filter and OSC 2 go into another filter.
That's almost correct. Almost because you can simply achieve that effect by using two voices (layers). Many of the more complex patches in Dune 2/3 work exactly this way, so e.g. first layer has a lowpass filter, second a bandpass filter, etc.

If you view it from the perspective of a single layer/voice you are entirely correct though. The parallel routing option in the dual filter is for situations where you want to treat all oscillators+noise in a layer together with a dual parallel filter.

Richard
Thanks Richard. So I'm not crazy. Yes, with using multiple layers you can do just about anything. But true parallel filtering, at least the way I learned it, isn't part of Dune 3's architecture.

Still, I have no idea what Dasheesh's problem is as I have no idea what it is he wants this thing to do.

There are different kinds of parallel filter routing. In virus (and viper) you have two of three osc hardwired to filter1 and the third one along with the noise osc is hardwired to filter2. Spire allows spreading the output of each osc between two filters. This is what i was expecting from Dune3 but the way D3 implements parallel filters also makes sense because it has layers.

I think parallel filters in dune 3 make the most sense for crossfade scenarios, like when you smoothly morph from lp to hp.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Return to “Instruments”